Home

BETA TEST: Bast Castle SIEGE

monsoontide

Working on final build as I have mentioned, taking into account all previous feedback, I've had to drastically rework the lift system. Should be a lot better now - no stupid lift deaths (Well, not like before anyway ;) .

You can now fly the starfighters around the castle to destroy the turbo laser cannons.

Boom.jpg

Reaching the cell-block at the very top of the castle will now be your primary objective (Apart from one other thing)

Cells.jpg

Meditation chamber is much as before and still contains an objective switch to activate.

Chamber.jpg

Control Deck, now a large level with four lifts up and four down. Also access to the manual gun turrets.

control.jpg

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These Four rooms have seen few major changes, only the way the lifts work around these rooms has been changed.

And it wasn't a problem getting an md3 to rotate it was getting a md3 to start/stop rotating when triggered in MP - but that was taken care of long ago with much help from lassev.

Lab.jpg

This map glows and rotates slowly

Map.jpg

Medical.jpg

Though the meeting room will soon have a new central table based on some concept artwork from Ep2. AOTC

Meeting.jpg

The interrogation room has been revamped and moved next to the cells - there are still some doors to go in here that lead to the catwalk outside.

Torture.jpg

Once the power to the castle is restored (First objective) the Turbo Lasers will come on line again and must be destroyed by starfighter.

Turbolaser.jpg

These turrets can be used against starfighters and players/NPC's :rolleyes: running along the bridges!

Turret.jpg

There's a bunch more stuff I haven't shown you yet, including the reworked lava well, the revamped workshop and the secret Sith Temple!! (Much bigger now!)

Everything is progressing smoothly but alas very slowly as I have had little time to work on it of late.

Hope you will find the changes an improvement.

NOTE: This is still W.I.P. so none of the lighting has yet been done in case you were wondering why the screenshots are so dark!

Wow...looking good man. I don't really know when my map will come out Mon. But yours looks closer to finished than mine does.

What's the deal with all this bright yellow? Is that supposed to be ONE bright color like that?

Originally posted by monsoontide

You can now fly the starfighters around the castle to destroy the turbo laser cannons.

Boom.jpg

If that's the case this REALLY looks silly. Sorry but does that look good to you? Everything else looks UBER to me Mon....except the ENDOR holomap. That is ENDOR is it not? Can you please explain to me why ENDOR is in this map? Also would you like to see my holo map to see maybe if you need some changes? I mean yours looks like a kids toy (no offense).

Yeah... still working on a solution to that.

As for the lava, I wanted it to NOT be the usual boring red everyone else uses.

It's more like molten metal than just molten rock.

But since the rest of the map is more important, I'm working on getting that all done first, then I'll take care of the aesthetics.

Not sure if a portal sky would help much either.

It's a pity you can't set the ground as an infinite plane.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Wow! That's certainly a change from the previous betas. Will there be another beta, I've said this before but this map looks Sweet I agree with the lava problem, maybe a little less bright might help :cool: and the Endor map is a bit basic (no offence) but otherwise, I can't see much else that is totaly wrong in the map (the Endor map is mostly a secondairy concern, the lava is bit more important). Great map though.

Bah! I'm going to have to get my RETAIL disc to get rid of CL_parsePacketEntity warning. I'm using a patch and it just keeps kicking me.

I'll have to take out your scripts for now and add FFA to the arena file so I can devmap it and explore without adding bots.

very nice improvements, monsoontide :)

the more linear structure might also help to solve a few problems (such as the relatively long time it takes for a new player to "learn" the map). if all turns out like I think it will, this map will probably become the most played custom Siege map :)

Here is the new and improved? Sith Temple under construction.

Tha face is supposed to be Padme's as a reminder to Vader one of the reasons he turned to the dark side (Episode 3 spoiler!!!) ;)

Temple_01.jpg

Temple_02.jpg

Temple_03.jpg

I have much more to do in this room.

Safe to say it will be an objective room - drain the lava to retrieve the Sith Holocron.

Tell me, monsoontide, wouldn't it be easy to turn this also into an SP map after you have released the siege? You could probably use many of the objectives as they are. Basically you would just place NPCs to sensible places, build waypoint networks (when needed) and place point of combats. Then throw in a few cinematics and other scripting suitable for SP (maybe some more complicated puzzles), and it might turn out to be a really memorable SP map...

Monsoon...next thing should be a correction on that yellow lava..it's just hideous. I think a tc modscroll of yellow lightning over top of a Dark orange with a brown cracked edge texture would be appropriate here. I know exactly what you're looking for...I think. The Dark orange texture should be a PNG with the ALPHA marked right where the edge of the orange is for an effective q3map_lightscale glow.

• 1 month later...

Finally, after lots of sh*t at work, a holiday in the Bahamas and discovering I only have six weeks to get my stuff together and move country, I finally have had some time to work on the map again and have it about 85% working.

Thanks to lassev, I've made progress on some scripted events that revolve around two of the objectives.

Still to do: Finishing the scripting for the second objective. Working in all the spawn points and moving them around as objectives are completed. Oh... and the lighting needs a lot more work (It's a bit dark at the moment.) Nevertheless, I should be looking for a final testing group in about a week!

(Especially anyone who tested the map before! - Though I imagine everyone will be busy playing DOOM3 in the next week or so!)

Also a Question or two:

1: Should I release the previous version of this map - as a bonus with the new map. (Since this new version is almost entirely different)

2: I've been thinking about releasing the 'map' file with the final distribution - so anyone who's interested can see how it was made and perhaps do a single player/ffa/ctf map with it.

1: Should I release the previous version of this map - as a bonus with the new map. (Since this new version is almost entirely different)

I'd say it depends on if you feel the original version was good enough for public release.

2: I've been thinking about releasing the 'map' file with the final distribution - so anyone who's interested can see how it was made and perhaps do a single player/ffa/ctf map with it.

I'd probably keep the .map private. If anyone used it, it would result in multiple "unofficial" versions of the map floating around and confuse the crap out of players.

Perhaps then I shall make it so anyone who is REALLY interested in developing different game type versions can contact me.

Still, I have to get it done first.

Nearly everything is in place now. Just a few more things need to be taken care of.

Won't be sure how certain elements actually work until the map can be tested though.

Certain characters in the Blue team will be better at certain objectives than others.

We'll help you out with testing again if you want :)

Although we won't be able to let your map run 24/7 on our server this time because we are currently participating in a cup and need the server for training purposes :(

Sounds Good...

I think I will put it out as a public BETA on PCGAMEMODS.COM, just 'cos I only have four weeks until I move to the other side of the planet (& might not get another chance to release it any time soon in any form) and I'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

OK - Finally have the navgoal thing all working, so now the Jedi Team can complete ALL their objectives.

HOORAY!

I also put in all the Sith spawn points and they seem to work fine as well.

So just a few more minor tweaks and adjustments to things and a bit more in the way of lighting + botrouting and item/weapon placement and we should be ready for public BETA middle of next week.

Will be interesting to see how it plays, as I have yet to test against live opponents!!!

Let's just say the JEDI TEAM will definitely have their work cut out for them!

Archived