Home

An Open Letter to Lucasarts

vanderwaal

I read with much dismay this morning of the cancellation of Sam & Max: Freelance Police. I realize that you probably have absolutely zero interest in hearing what I have to say but I don't think that I could, in good conscience, let this decision slip by without at least voicing my displeasure.

I'm sure that you have bean-counters making sound financial decisions for you and I don't blame you for it. Let's face it you are going to make zillions of dollars on the next Star Wars game. You are, in no way, financially destitute. And no matter what you say or how many charts you could show would you convince me otherwise. You could afford to let Sam & Max run. Would you make as much as "Star Wars: Hack & Slash 18", no. But you could earn back a little of the respect that you've lost. A lot of people really believe that you are nothing more than a second rate distributor, hiring outside studios to develop mediocre games based on outdated technology. Is this really how far you've fallen?

The adventure game market may not be what it once was but we are very dedicated. And we have been extremely loyal to you. The cancellation of Sam & Max only points to how little respect you have for a genre that made you a gaming power-house. You have turned your back on us and we, I am afraid, will be forced to turn our backs on you.

It really breaks my heart to do what I know I must. I will never buy another game from Lucas Arts. I will never watch another Lucasfilms movie. I will never buy another thing produced by anyone associated with any Lucasfilms Ltd. company. I know this fact, like this letter, will not concern you in the least. After all, I'm only one person. But maybe if I ask enough of my friends and fellow adventure loyalists to do the same, we can make a simple point: we will not stand idly by and watch you destroy a company and more importantly a genre and characters we care deeply for. You have been warned. And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go post this letter everywhere I possibly can.

Sincerely,

Carlton J. Madden

• 2 weeks later...

Archived