Home

Lucas forums server

LukeKatarn

Originally posted by LukeKatarn

Well I have never heard of kurgans meat grinder but maybe he could make it password protected by putting on a site that only members can visit I think this is a good idea.:saberb:

I don't think so. The servers purpose is for anyone and everyone to have some juicy non-whinging FFA fun. ;)

Originally posted by BawBag™

I don't think so. The servers purpose is for anyone and everyone to have some juicy non-whinging FFA fun. ;)

Well if kurgans meatgrinder is for the public then lucasforums should make their own servea which is my point!

Well if kurgans meatgrinder is for the public then lucasforums should make their own servea which is my point!

It's hard to get people to join your server even if you have no password on it, and password protected servers don't get many visitors...

Originally posted by |GG|Carl

It's hard to get people to join your server even if you have no password on it, and password protected servers don't get many visitors...

I know they dont get any visitors which is my point lucasforums should have its own private server so we could just chill in that server who says we evan have to fight if it is a ffa so we can just chat now people who aren't from lucasforums would just play to chat I dont think so.

I know they dont get any visitors which is my point lucasforums should have its own private server so we could just chill in that server who says we evan have to fight if it is a ffa so we can just chat now people who aren't from lucasforums would just play to chat I dont think so.

Don't use a game server as a glorified chat room, there are too many of those already.

If you just want to chat with other Lucasforums members, there is already a, guess what.......a chat room!......set up here.

This isn't a good idea, man, trust me. In this forum, there are many 'honorz' players, and many 'non-honorz' players. IF both types of players join the server, who knows what will happen? The 'honorz' players will begin chatting and this will frustrate the 'non-honorz' players. As a result, the 'non-honorz' players will begin to attack the chatting players and guess what'll happen?

'OMG J00 FUXORZ NOOBIE!'

Hence, LF official JA server will only result in chaos.

Originally posted by Druid Allanon

This isn't a good idea, man, trust me. In this forum, there are many 'honorz' players, and many 'non-honorz' players. IF both types of players join the server, who knows what will happen? The 'honorz' players will begin chatting and this will frustrate the 'non-honorz' players. As a result, the 'non-honorz' players will begin to attack the chatting players and guess what'll happen?

'OMG J00 FUXORZ NOOBIE!'

Hence, LF official JA server will only result in chaos.

This is exactly how I thought. See, LucasForums is a very, VERY big community and many members have different views. Also, who would pay for the server(s)? Since we have so many members, we'd have to have like ten servers anyway. It's just not a good idea.

Hey guys!

My server is very much "unofficial." Obviously it's something I did with my own resources and time, and it's not powerful enough to hold the whole community.

Believe me, if I made it password protected you wouldn't see many people on there.

Lots of LFN people use it but they rarely connect at the same time, I think our record was maybe 4 LFNers at once (usually it's just 1).

However, not to get anyone's hopes up, but I'm in negotiations to get a NEW server, one that will be an improvement on the old.

IF, things go my way, it MAY be possible to get a more dedicated, more stable and more powerful place for LFNers.

Still, I'm very against the idea of making it totally private. Like I said, the numbers will go down drastically if that is done, and I always like the challenge of fresh blood (which in no way diminishes my love of our community here). ; )

And I think it's very hard to justify paying for a server that only a very few number of people will use. Sure, you could say there are clan servers, but from what I'm told if those are rented, those groups expect clan members to chip in to pay for the server.

I doubt we're going to get many people on LFN paying to keep a server running for everybody else with no compensation, so people can't complain what they get for free. It's just a lot of time, money, and effort for something a tiny minority will use. No offense. That's why it would have be open to the public. That and if people have a good time, maybe they'll considering joining our community here. Everybody wins!

The LAST thing we need is for a server that is just a chat room (as Amidala said). Already the vast majority of JA servers out there (by last count) are the honor friendly-admin mod running-force power hating-saber dueling inclined-chat roomesque variety. Either that or they're clan servers that are only for a handfull of people and shun everybody else, running mods nobody else uses.

There's absolutely no point in creating yet another one of these wastes of bandwidth. If we have an official server it will be for GAMING which is the whole point of all of this. The Forums and Chatrooms are for the socializing aspect and we're already spending good money and manpower on those, so people can use 'em.

If we had the community decide, it would be hard to lock down what people would want.. what maps and settings to use, etc. It's easier to just have an admin who decides what to do and just runs it. If people want to use the server as is, they're in. If we let the community decide what are we do to? Hold weekly votes for the masses to decide what the server has? Or are we going to fight over who gets to be an admin for a day? It's just too hard to manage something that big and unwieldy. At best this will just be a dedicated server with the LFN name on it somewhere, and an LFN member running it.

In the past we had numerous opportunities to start our own OFFICIAL LFN servers and this was discussed on more than one occasion, but the bottom line was that we simply didn't have the funds to spare (after taking care of the extrememly high bandwidth sites, file servers and forums) so it would have to be a private enterprise to set one up. Thus far nobody has been willing or able to take on that task.

Anyway, I'll see what I can accomplish in the coming weeks, so no promises yet, but I am trying to come up with something that will be better for everyone here.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Hey guys!

My server is very much "unofficial." Obviously it's something I did with my own resources and time, and it's not powerful enough to hold the whole community.

Believe me, if I made it password protected you wouldn't see many people on there.

Lots of LFN people use it but they rarely connect at the same time, I think our record was maybe 4 LFNers at once (usually it's just 1).

However, not to get anyone's hopes up, but I'm in negotiations to get a NEW server, one that will be an improvement on the old.

IF, things go my way, it MAY be possible to get a more dedicated, more stable and more powerful place for LFNers.

Still, I'm very against the idea of making it totally private. Like I said, the numbers will go down drastically if that is done, and I always like the challenge of fresh blood (which in no way diminishes my love of our community here). ; )

And I think it's very hard to justify paying for a server that only a very few number of people will use. Sure, you could say there are clan servers, but from what I'm told if those are rented, those groups expect clan members to chip in to pay for the server.

I doubt we're going to get many people on LFN paying to keep a server running for everybody else with no compensation, so people can't complain what they get for free. It's just a lot of time, money, and effort for something a tiny minority will use. No offense. That's why it would have be open to the public. That and if people have a good time, maybe they'll considering joining our community here. Everybody wins!

The LAST thing we need is for a server that is just a chat room (as Amidala said). Already the vast majority of JA servers out there (by last count) are the honor friendly-admin mod running-force power hating-saber dueling inclined-chat roomesque variety. Either that or they're clan servers that are only for a handfull of people and shun everybody else, running mods nobody else uses.

There's absolutely no point in creating yet another one of these wastes of bandwidth. If we have an official server it will be for GAMING which is the whole point of all of this. The Forums and Chatrooms are for the socializing aspect and we're already spending good money and manpower on those, so people can use 'em.

If we had the community decide, it would be hard to lock down what people would want.. what maps and settings to use, etc. It's easier to just have an admin who decides what to do and just runs it. If people want to use the server as is, they're in. If we let the community decide what are we do to? Hold weekly votes for the masses to decide what the server has? Or are we going to fight over who gets to be an admin for a day? It's just too hard to manage something that big and unwieldy. At best this will just be a dedicated server with the LFN name on it somewhere, and an LFN member running it.

In the past we had numerous opportunities to start our own OFFICIAL LFN servers and this was discussed on more than one occasion, but the bottom line was that we simply didn't have the funds to spare (after taking care of the extrememly high bandwidth sites, file servers and forums) so it would have to be a private enterprise to set one up. Thus far nobody has been willing or able to take on that task.

Anyway, I'll see what I can accomplish in the coming weeks, so no promises yet, but I am trying to come up with something that will be better for everyone here.

Thx kurgan I guess you are right no one wil play at the same time and it is to much mony but I am looking forward to what you are planing I know no promises but I hope some thing will work out. Kurgan you rock thx.

Archived