Home

Oh LucasArts, how do I hate thee...

... let me count the ways...

1) You don't make original games anymore, you only RELEASE (not develop) a pile of average ones.

2) Even the ones you have developed recently (like RTX Red Rock) suck!

3) 70% of your games have "Star Wars" in the title.

4) There's only been ONE decent game from you lot in two years! (KOTOR) Before that it was Jedi Outcast (2002) and before that it was Grim Fandango in 1998! Yet you managed to released THIRTY FIVE games over the same period (not including re-releases).

That's 3 good games out of 35 released!

5) Far too many games have STAR WARS in the title:

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter

Star Wars: Dark Forces

Star Wars: Demolition

Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo

Star Wars: Episode I: Jedi Power Battles

Star Wars: Episode I: Racer

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: Force Commander

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns

Star Wars: Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Star Wars: Jedi Knight

Star Wars: Jedi Knight (Bundle)

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - Colle...

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith

Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi

Star Wars: Obi-Wan

Star Wars: Racer Revenge

Star Wars: Rebel Assault

Star Wars: Rebel Assault I & II

Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire

Star Wars: Rebellion

Star Wars: Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3D

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Star Wars: Starfighter

Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing

Star Wars: Super Return of the Jedi

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Star Wars: Tie Fighter

Star Wars: TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM

Star Wars: Tie Fighter: Defender of the Empire

Star Wars: X-Wing

Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance

Star Wars: X-Wing Collector Series

Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM

Star Wars: X-Wing Trilogy

Star Wars: X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of P...

Star Wars: X-Wing: B-Wing

Star Wars: X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit

Star Wars: Yoda Stories

6) You pushed Sony Online to release Star Wars: Galaxies in July of 2003, yet it has only recently come close to being completed. Meaning that LucasArts fans and Star Wars fans were PAYING to play an incomplete BETA of the game for 8 months!!! (With constant promises of "impending" improvements.)

7) You only released the modestly updated versions of Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle in SOME territories, leaving our American friends to do without (until WE fixed it for you with ScummVM!!!)

... 100) You greenlit two adventure games and then cancelled them both after months of development and thousands of dollars being spent. Not to mention your loyal fans being disapointed YET AGAIN by your distinctly lacklustre company.

8) A large number of your back catalogue STILL doesn't work on Windows XP (again, WE, your loyal fans, had to fix them with ScummVM).

9) You decided in 2000 never to make another "classic trilogy" Star Wars game and insisted all new games would be set in the "new" Phantom Menace universe. When you realized what a stupid idea this was (thank to everyone complaining) you changed your mind.

10) All your most talented designers have left your company.

11) You're quickly becoming the new Cryo or 3DO of the games industry (ie mass produced crap that you know will sell).

12) You publish crap original titles (RTX Red Rock, Gladius, Armed & Dangerous) so you have to cancel the decent original titles.

13) Escape from Monkey Island

14) You cancelled Sam N Max 2 a FEW MONTHS before its scheduled release date!!!!!!!!???!!

15) ...

(Join in :))

16) Your sales people couldn't quite figure out in all the time and reseach done by them what it took a load of fans in around the age of about 14-20 about 30 seconds to work out. Sam and Max Freelance Police would work!

> , Gladius, Armed & Dangerous

I have to disagree with these two games being "crap". I haven't got a console, but I've read very good reviews of Gladius and heard first hand some very good reports of it. As for Armed & Dangerous, being a huge "Giants" fan, and supporter of Planet Moon Studios I think their Armed and Dangerous is an excellent game - just the sort of thing the tired FPS genre needs.

Planet Moon, you guys rock! But you must be worried about giving your game to a publishing company who runs away from such obvious sales potential as Sam & Max 2. Their marketing department must be sub-par.

:(

I have to say that I actually liked Escape From MI. It wasn't quite as good as the others, but it was the fourth in the series, so with that in mind, it was very good.

Now then:

17) you completely ignore the hard work of a team for almost a year, then reduce that work to moot.

18) It's a mystery you still attract any talents to your company. Your company has changed from pioneering in game design and made many people for-life-fans of your games - to have turned your back on your talents and walked a road that leads to nothingness.

21 - You have max. 4 more ocassions to cash in: 1. Star Wars Battlefield, 2. Star Wars Rebel Moon (or something like that), 3. new games based on Episode 3 Star Wars movie, 4. new game(s) based on new Indiana Jones movie.

Then it's over. Star Wars is finished and people will lose interest of games based on it.

No new franchise. You will end up as division of Electronic Arts and some day be assimilated as EA California or something (like Westwood, Origin etc.).

Originally posted by JBRAA

18) It's a mystery you still attract any talents to your company. Your company has changed from pioneering in game design and made many people for-life-fans of your games - to have turned your back on your talents and walked a road that leads to nothingness.

What talent have they recently attracted?

Originally posted by Dalixam

What talent have they recently attracted?

One of the animators for RTX Red Rock. But he left to work for the second Matrix film. I dont have his URL anymore. I got a hardrive failure and lost 120 GB not so recently. But anyway, he was talented. But the art direction and story of that game wasnt the best though however.

26) Because after 18,000+ petition signatures and ALL of your die-hard fans being incredibly hurt and angered by your announcement... YOU STILL HAVEN'T UNCANCELLED SAM N' MAX 2!!!

27) Your logo was created for a completely different company, yet you annoyingly maintain that it tailored for LucasArts -- citing what each section of it "represents" - ugh.

28) You have started organising your OWN "Fan Festivals" so you can charge your fans $189 to meet each other!!! (This one makes me SICK!)

29) You're in league with the devil (see RemiO's post, above)

30) You have no games in your upcoming releases that I'm remotely interested in.

31) George Lucas's original charge: "Do what you want, but be the best"

Your current motto: "How can we make even MORE money???"

32) The last LucasArts game to be revered by critics and fans alike, and to consistently reach a Top 10 status in "best games of all time" lists was released in 1998 (Grim Fandango).

Six years ago.

33) ...

Archived