Home

Sam and Max 2 - cancelled

Fred

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I can't believe they did that. I didn't mind when they cancelled FT2. That wasn't that bad. I knew Sam & Max 2 would be better, and make it ok. But why did they cancel it? It looked so good.

I'm going to e-mail them and complain. If enough people do it, they might bring it back.

How shocking. The cancellation of Sam and Max 2 isn't just a disappointment, but a betrayal. This destroys any hope for LucasArts' already waning adventure genre and really, LucasArts itself. It makes me sick.

What's worse about all of this to me is how far into production the game was. Wasn't voice acting complete or at least nearly complete at this point? And we've lost everything just because LucasArts chickened out in the marketing department? I'd like to think that this is only a long delay, but really, when would the game be so much better to release?

There's no polite way to put this: LucasArts made a stupid decision, and they've lost a lot of their genuine fans today.

Originally posted by Udvarnoky There's no polite way to put this: LucasArts made a stupid decision, and they've lost a lot of their genuine fans today.

Well said.

We can only cross our fingers and hope that LucasArts realise what a mistake they've made. Otherwise, I fear that today marks the death of the LAC Adventure genre.

I'm really REALLY angry right now.

I can't believe it. It bugs me more that we don't get more sam and max, than not having an LA adventure game.

This was such a weak decision. If anything they should release stuff on the net for the fans at least. They got all that work, use it for something!

I can't believe it, i'm so mad. I'm gonna go to cali and bomb those stupid corporate fuks. Don't tease the fans and back off! You bastards!

Word's can't express how down I am now. No more sam and max game......geeez!

STEVE IF YOU'RE READING THIS. MAKE A COMIC! PLEASE! MAKE SOMETHING AVAILIBLE FOR YOUR FANS! SCAN SOME DRAWINGS ANYTHING!

hmm Steve MUST be pissed that this isn't coming out.

I feel that Sam and Max 2 would not only have been a great boon to the wants (and pules) of Sam and Max fans, but also to adventure gamers (and gaming) as a whole. Sam and Max and adventure gaming are two remunerative and worthwhile institutions - perhaps not to the hulking masses of sheer numbers and pocketbooks - but to once interested votaries in quality gaming. The same, when faced with the gift of a sequel adventure/Purcell creation, might have been said of Lucasarts. But I'd wager that now that, when faced with Mr. Nelson's "justification," the most prominent conjecture is "Bull****."

Originally posted by toenail1

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant belive it :( .... another part of my childhood died today, soon it will be complete. HTR was the game that got me into gaming, and transformed me into what i am today. it shaped my sense of humor and nurtured my ability with electronics. are people trying to kill off the early 90's and the 80's or something???

i used to be one of lucasarts biggest fans I EVEN BOUGHT THE PHANTOM MENACE GAME!!!! they just lost a huge fan

that game was going to make a bunch of money, i was getting all my friends to get sam and max, and everybody that got it LOVED IT

like it was said before, you put every single thought i am having right now into a clear sentence. i thought i was having a good day today, this just ruined it (even after social studies which was amazing)

it sure is the end of their ear, i could care less about another one of their games coming out, not even a new monkey island or something great

THANKS A LOT LUCASARTS ILL SEE YOU IN H**L

Ironically, while they cancelled the game allegedly for economic considerations, they now have to deal with thousands of disgruntled fans who will likely boycott their future releases unless there is a significant departure from LA's Star Wars license-mongering and a trend toward LA's roots.

This game would've been the perfect step to continue LA's great tradition of making excellent adventure games, however, this marks LA's actual rejection of this genre as a whole.

The adventure genre is not dead, however.

Sadly, I do feel called to ignore all upcoming releases. Goodbye, LucasArts. It was fun, especially 1988 till 1995, but this love affair is over.

Goodbye, LucasArts. It was fun, especially 1988 till 1995, but this love affair is over.
wonderfully wroten

i now call for a mass boycott of all future LucasArts games until we get Sam and Max 2

and dont even think im not serious, i dont even want to hear their name anymore

if we stand tall and proud, they will hear us, we can NOT let this treachery go unanswered. do not falter, if we band together we can get through it together, but if a couple of people break the chain, the adventure genre is dead.

P.S.:LucasArts, if you are reading this, im as serious as i have ever been. if i see one of your boxes on the shelves i will not even look at it. i will tell people not to buy it.

Originally posted by toenail1

...we can NOT let this treachery go unanswered.

Yes, it is a slap in the face of all SamnMax fans, and, because of the nature of their statement, of all adventure game fans out there. At the risk of sounding sappy, this is a treacherous act, indeed!

I can't beleive this! its rediculous! obvioisly this Acting manager has no idea what was being developed, the origional game was a huge success, the collected S&M has been re printed 3 times as of 6 years ago (i bet its been reprinted sevral more times since then), the TV show was a huge success and was only cancelled because of the overly conservative wankers who complained about it and who were in the minority.

they are losing out on a goldmine, those idiots should be less concerned with following in the game industry in the hopes of increased proffits.

Lucasarts could potentially corner the adventure game niche market, but instead they are more interested rehashing starwars games for a quick buck.

personally i am going to write them with a letter rather than have my comments put into a electronic trash box.

I am so outraged, I've decided to sign up and voice my opion. They cannot cancel this game if it is so far in development. There are tons of loyal fans out there ready to get their long awaited Sam & Max fix, and just as we're ready to recieve, they pull the plug on it!

I have been waiting for this game forever, and my heart sank when I read that it had been cancelled! This better be some sick joke Lucas Arts is pulling or I will never trust any of their products again. This game was going to be history! They can't do this to us!

Like AndrewL said, give us something! Throw us a bone, give us what you had got done so far so we can atleast enjoy the hard work you had already put in to it, or maybe give up the license to a company who actually cares about the loyal fans. They'll be laughing all the way to the bank, too, because this game would have sold big. It's was going to be the best adventure game to come out in a long time.

Lucas Arts, you made a mistake... there is no words for how angry, confused, and betrayed I feel, you can't build up your fans this much just to burst our bubble...

PS:

What's the E-mail adress to send outraged, yet civil complaints to Lucas Arts?

They feel now is not the appropriate time to release a graphic adventure on the pc? Have they heard of Broken Sword?, Runaway?, The Longest Journey? and there are so many more already being made into sequels, adventures are trying to make a comback and Lucasarts needs to look around and see that "Hey we're sitting on George Lucas's pocketbook we can take a few chances." Bah, I'm pissed.

I can't believe they did this - this was one of my most antipated titles and it is LucasArts crowning games - Sam & Max was one of the top adventure games of all times and always connected to LucasArts glory years. Even with the popularity of adventure games being at an all time low, this would have sold in droves simply because it was 'Sam & Max'. Apparently production was far in too adn they still axed all that hard work and all our anticipation all in one go. I even got a copy of the hard to get 'Sam & Max Collected' graphic novel full of all their comics to get into the mood for the game as well as playing some of the original game. What superb comedy.

We have been waiting TEN years for Sam & Max and this is our news.

Nope, never going to buy another LucasArts title again - it all died pretty much after after Grim Fandango it seems, their last shot of excellence (which still made a good profit even though it was after the genre had deteriorated and was MUCH less marketable than Sam & Max).

All I can think is:

Sam: Lets leave this Lucasarts criminal cesspool pronto.

Max: Ooh can I drive?

Sam: Only if you don't mind me clawing at the dash and shrieking like a cheerleader.

Max: Sam, is pronto a real word?

Queue Sam & Max driving away from LucasArts forever and with it most of their fans (most likely bound and gagged in the boot by Max but we are happy to go with them).

Archived