Home

Is there an JK expansion planned? (Officially: NONE THAT WE KNOW OF)

xirr2000

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'mon ... JA is *neither* an expansion *nor* is it JK3. It is an evolutionary sstep, like Elite Force 2 was to Elite Force 1.

I seriously doubt we'll see an expansion. The game sold very well, but I think Raven is too busy and it doesn't make sense to bring someone else in.

Mike

I don't think JKA is JK3, it's just it's own side game built off the JK engine.(technically anyway, it felt very much like an expansion to me as well) I'd like it if Raven continued on with this series as it's own.

Does it matter?

I think the question is - do we, as a group, expect a Jedi-based expansion (or even new) game during 2004? Or even in 1st half 2005?

My guess is NO for 2004, and we'll have to wait and see what EpIII tie-ins they do for 2005. Hopefully something good (keeping in mind that JKII came out a few months before EpII).

Mike

Jedi Academy was originally going to be an expansion pack for Jedi Outcast, but grew much bigger than expected, so they made it a standalone game. Because it wasn't meant to be a sequel to Jedi Knight II, but it was somewhat part of the Jedi Knight series, they just simply branched it off as a sort of "side" Jedi Knight game. Thus there was no III as it isn't, and never was supposed to be, a sequel to Jedi Knight II.

I think that the next game may be what some of the Raven guys were speculating about. They thought that Jedi Knight III would follow Kyle's son, and the game would use the Doom 3 engine...this seems fairly plausible although it was just speculation, albeit speculation done by Raven. ;)

Originally posted by txa1265

C'mon ... JA is *neither* an expansion *nor* is it JK3. It is an evolutionary sstep, like Elite Force 2 was to Elite Force 1.

I seriously doubt we'll see an expansion. The game sold very well, but I think Raven is too busy and it doesn't make sense to bring someone else in.

Mike

Thank you for taking the time to actually answer my question (which seemed pretty straightforward to me) rather than debate naming conventions.

Too bad. I can only hope that with the next one (whenever that may be) they might be able to add in a toolset like NeverWinter Nights to let people create their own modules. With a dedicated fan base like the ones on these boards I bet there would be some serious module mania going on. Although Lucas would no doubt be upset that people were creating Star Wars based entertainment without him getting a penny, I bet this fact alone means it would never happen.

Originally posted by Mercenary

If ever they make a Jedi Knight III there's going to be a lot of confused people.

Hehe, indeed. I think we've seen first hand the problems of changing the name of a games franchise every new release!

What about Megaman? They had Megaman 1-20 or something, then MegamanX1....X2...X3.....then it got really confusing when the X series of supposed prequels seemed to extend beyond the originals.... Or Street Fighter - Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Street Fighter II, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter III, Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter Alpha2....what the hell?

I can't see there being an expansion for JA, I hope they decide on a full game version but that is, I think, a few years off at least, with Raven so busy on other projects.

OK, the argument about what Jedi Academy is actualy called.

well I have the case in front of me, it says "STAR WARS JEDI KNIGHT: JEDI ACCADEMY, they could have called it "JEDI KNIGHT III: JEDI ACADEMY" but as that is not as snappy they dropped the III, note that the previous game was called "JEDI KNIGHT II: JEDI OUTCAST" just because it has a sub title does not mean it is a new series or an expansion pack.

Of course we could say it is the forth game in the dark forces series so mabey it should be called "STAR WARS DARK FORCES IV: JEDI KNIGHT III: JEDI ACADEMY" or SWDF4:JK3:JA for short, I prefer the name they used.

I think the next game will be "JEDI KNIGHT IV: SOME FLASHY SUB TITLE" but again they will probably drop the IV. and they should use a new engine next time round (QUAKE IV?).

I always presumed that JA is an expansion to JO, and that the reason they decided to make it standalone is so that it could reach a broader audience besides just only owners of JO.

I am kind of hoping that they don't make another sequel, I hate sequels, you don't fully know what is going on unless you have played the previous games, and you feel like you missed something if you have'nt played the first. I would like to see a whole new combination Jedi and FPS type game that is totally unrelated to the others.

If Raven chooses to make another SW game it will most likely be done in the Doom3 engine:D . We probably won't see it for a long time though, because they are working on Quake4 right now.

Originally posted by xirr2000

Too bad. I can only hope that with the next one (whenever that may be) they might be able to add in a toolset like NeverWinter Nights to let people create their own modules. With a dedicated fan base like the ones on these boards I bet there would be some serious module mania going on. Although Lucas would no doubt be upset that people were creating Star Wars based entertainment without him getting a penny, I bet this fact alone means it would never happen.

I'm not sure what you mean by that...if you mean a level editor, then yes if JKIII uses the Doom 3 engine then the editor will be built into the game engine. If you mean a modular editing system, then the answer is no...that type of system just doesn't work for a FPS. Level editing requires skill and is closest to modeling a model in a 3d program (even more so with modern games like Doom 3 which have a great amount of their levels modeled in a program like Lightwave rather than Radiant). Any editor who would actually create a decent level would also have the skill to create it properly (and in fact, if the level was actually to be decent, it would have to be done by hand. FPS's require much more detail than RPG's, which can usually get away with cut paste methods without the levels looking too repetitive), so the only thing that would happen is that a flood of crappy levels would choke level sites, making it harder to find quality levels. Also, George Lucas doesn't have anything to do with Lucasarts...if there's anyone to blame, blame the idiot Lucasarts sales people who just cancelled Sam and Max 2.

Originally posted by jon_hill987 and they should use a new engine next time round (QUAKE IV?).

There is no Quake IV engine...Quake IV uses the Doom 3 engine.

Originally posted by Imperial_thug If Raven chooses to make another SW game it will most likely be done in the Doom3 engine . We probably won't see it for a long time though, because they are working on Quake4 right now.

Actually, fortunately, Raven has many development teams, which means they can develop multiple games at the same time. Raven has been working on Quake IV for 2-3 years already, so I'm sure they've got a team or two available...

Okay, JKA, JA, JK3, JKIII, and JK5 are the SAME thing.

First of all, there are four other Jedi Knight games:

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces I, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, then Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

I have no clue why Jedi Knight II wasn't called "Mysteries of the Sith II" or "Jedi Knight IV" (it technically is the fourth one). Jedi Academy might have been an expansion pack at first for Jedi Knight II, but I really don't know. Jedi Academy is definitely its own game. Jedi Academy is technically "Jedi Knight V"

I hope that finishes this thread and answers all your questions.

:fett:

Originally posted by majinrevan

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces I, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, then Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

I have no clue why Jedi Knight II wasn't called "Mysteries of the Sith II" or "Jedi Knight IV" (it technically is the fourth one). Jedi Academy might have been an expansion pack at first for Jedi Knight II, but I really don't know. Jedi Academy is definitely its own game. Jedi Academy is technically "Jedi Knight V"

Nope. Dark Forces was the original series name (there were no Jedi in the original game) It goes like this: Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

MotS was sort of a side game that came after Jedi Knight, except that it required Jedi Knight to play (I think it could actually technically stand on it's own, but they made it an add-on anyway...). It did not follow Kyle (except for the first 2-3 levels...the rest had you playing as Mara Jade), and it's interesting to note the similarities between it and Jedi Academy. Jedi Academy is a lot like MotS, in that you play a different character from the game that came just before it. They're both a side game that follows up to a previous "true" Jedi Knight series game and runs on an improved version of the earlier game engine. The difference is Jedi Academy doesn't require that you have Jedi Outcast to play. And, it is ture that Jedi Academy was originally supposed to be an add-on to Jedi Outcast...I think that's one of the reasons for it's weaker story and it's tying up of the loose Tavion bit that was left over from Jedi Outcast.

Originally posted by majinrevan

Actually this thread isn't at all about the naming conventions of the various Jedi Knight games. It got hijacked by someone attempting a sarcastic reply to my pretty simple original question and spun off into a different subject that seems to evoke some strong emotions from certain people for unknown reasons.

My question did get answered though, in case anyone out there was losing any sleep over it :)

Archived