Home

Is there an JK expansion planned? (Officially: NONE THAT WE KNOW OF)

xirr2000

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Emon

There already is a JK expansion. It is called Mysteries of the Sith.

So true, strange that no one has brought that up before you.

Seriously, back to JK"3". It's really different on how you view it. If you want to get technical, it's really another JK, as said on the CD case. STAR WARS JEDI KNIGHT: JEDI ACADEMY. But this *is* the next game in Raven's Kyle Katarn games, even if you don't ever play as Kyle, he's still a very important role.

Raven's too busy with Quake4 and another title to work on a JA expansion...

but honestly, what would the expansion include anyway? mini dagger sabers? lightsaber ninja stars? Jedi knight has had its time.... it's been spent :p

There's 2 other SW FPS in the works, both of which look pretty damn good so far.

All signs point to no expansion :p

which is good, because if it didnt meet expectations, all hell would break loose. People complained about JA enough as it was.... an expansion has to be near perfect to gain any sort of credibility.

Gonk, you do realize that Raven is capable of working on multiple projects right? Like Mike G could be working on one project, whereas say Mike Majernik could be working on a separate project.

And for the record, Kenn Hoekstra who is Project Administrator, and also Public Relations/Marketing, and also General Game/Technical Support, has publicly announced in an interview that Jedi Academy is NOT Jedi Knight III. It is simply a new chapter in the Jedi Knight series, but he or another Raven employee DID say that this would likely be the LAST jedi knight game to use the Q3TA engine.

In reality, the game title could be Dark Forces : Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy but thats kind of lengthy and since Katarn is no longer a merc, the Dark forces story no longer ties into the current series, hence the dropping of the Dark Forces portion of the game.

Yes, but what im saying is, generally they allocate certain team members to certain projects...and dont have one guy working round the clock on 2 games... theyd have 2 teams

The guys who worked on JA and such have probably moved onto another project, and wouldnt work on another JK game until that one was done, as theyd probably want mostly the same people working on it.

Meh, there may well be. But i hope there's not.

If LucasArts and Raven dont start immediate work on a major release based on the doom3 engine to coincide with the release of Episode 3 they need to hire a better market strategist.

make it a single player I dont care.

it could be a beautifully rendered Vader Duel based game that would make peoples jaws drop.

I can do with out an expansion if that happens.

Originally posted by StaffMaster

If LucasArts and Raven dont start immediate work on a major release based on the doom3 engine to coincide with the release of Episode 3 they need to hire a better market strategist.

Does DOOM III even have a solid release date? For all we know it may not even be able to coincide with the Ep 3 release :)

Marketing can't work miracles...

:o

I actually meant the next game in the series. JKIII, JKIV or whatever it's called. I did not mean literally a sequel to the game "Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight".

I agree that the multipule name changes is very confusing, but as a follower of the LucasArts games since the X-Wing and Rebel Assault days, I consider this a Dark Forces game.. no mater what it's called these days.

Not having played it but just from what I've read, would the D3 engine really work for a JK game? It's slower and works on more realistic movement speed, just the opposite of the type of thing we have going in all the JK games, and I'm not sure the engine would be able to handle that sort of speed on most systems. That said, if that meant a game where you could use the saber while standing in place I would be very happy.

Originally posted by SpaceButler13

Not having played it but just from what I've read, would the D3 engine really work for a JK game? It's slower and works on more realistic movement speed, just the opposite of the type of thing we have going in all the JK games, and I'm not sure the engine would be able to handle that sort of speed on most systems. That said, if that meant a game where you could use the saber while standing in place I would be very happy.

The Doom 3 engine will do whatever developers want it to. Quake III was a very fast paced multiplayer arcade-like game, but Call of Duty (which used the Quake III engine) is a slow paced singleplayer game...completely different from Quake III. Also, Quake IV is using the Doom 3 engine, and it's going for a faster paced gameplay with terrain and vehicles and stuff (as a sequel to Quake II, not Quake III). The engine doesn't determine the gameplay.

Wot about using the half-life2 engine? raven could start work now, I mean its not like you havent been able to get the engien code on the net for months!

but joking aside it would look briliant if the did use half-life2. the lip sync would be beter for a start (u seen the gman vid?).

Originally posted by jon_hill987

Wot about using the half-life2 engine? raven could start work now, I mean its not like you havent been able to get the engien code on the net for months!

but joking aside it would look briliant if the did use half-life2. the lip sync would be beter for a start (u seen the gman vid?).

They want to use the same Quake engine, because jk2 was using the Quake III engine, so is JA, and so will the JA expansion. (if there is one)

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

They want to use the same Quake engine, because jk2 was using the Quake III engine, so is JA, and so will the JA expansion. (if there is one)

For everyones sake, and their sake, I sincerely hope not. The quake 3 engine, althought sturdy and good, has passed it's time. It's outdated and ugly. HL2, doom3 and unreal engines are going to become market standard, along with the game specific ones.

Originally posted by GonkH8er

For everyones sake, and their sake, I sincerely hope not. The quake 3 engine, althought sturdy and good, has passed it's time. It's outdated and ugly. HL2, doom3 and unreal engines are going to become market standard, along with the game specific ones.

Which is why Call of Duty looks like crap :rolleyes:

But I essentially agree with you Gonk

(only calling you that because it is anathema to your av ;) )

New engines did not make a great showing in 2003 - Unreal II, Deus Ex 2, no-shows Doom III and HL2. Far Cry looks absolutely gorgeous - but I've seen plenty of non-human ragdolls (not as bad as Postal 2, but ... ) and the good old die-through-the-object fun.

*IF* there were to be an expansion, in which case it would need to be out soon (next 3-4 months) to not interefere with Battlefront or RepCom, I wouldn't mind it being Q3 based.

Beyond Sept or so, I hope they would be working with new engines for a 'new paradigm' Jedi game.

Mike

Originally posted by jon_hill987

The Source engine (that's what Valve calls their engine) isn't really all that great...it's just been heavily hyped. Except for the animation, the Unreal engine has better features than the Source engine. Hell, except for the animation, a heavily modified Quake III engine could be just as good. The Doom 3 engine is just as good animation wise, and it has lip sycing as well...it's just that id Software assumes that such things are the standard and they don't hype it up like Valve does.

Well, seeing as how Raven announced that Jedi Academy would be the last Jedi Knight game to use the Q3TA Engine, I wouldnt be surprised if there isn't an expansion. I would just theorize that LucasArts and Activision, Raven Software's parent company, would have Raven use either the Unreal engine, or possibly a different engine. I just hope they dont use the Doom3 Engine.

Well logically if LA DID give Raven the go-ahead to make a JA expansion (let's say sometime between the release of JA last September and now) they would HAVE to use the Q3 engine.

I mean would you honestly expect them to learn a brand new engine just to make a few more maps, models and skins for JA?

That just wouldn't be worth their time or money.

I doubt there will be one, hence all the free stuff Raven guys have helped get released for it like the Bonus Mappack, Asteroids, etc.

For a glimpse of a modern Raven expansion, check out the one they did for Elite Force. It was a pack of MP maps and a "virtual tour" of the USS Voyager for SP (which included a few mini scenarios).

Archived