Home

Why Lucasarts cancelled it

lagamorph321

Hey all,

From the game reviewers and gaming magazine editors I've talked to, it seems like lucasarts has been ultra hush hush about why the game was cancelled. It is notable that simon jeffery's who was really behind the project when it started in 2002 was replaced by Mike Nelson, the now infamous target of the fan's Ire.

Anyone have more info?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See Adventure Gamers for the reason why they did it. The game got to the stage where they take it to the marketing machine, and the ignoramus running it said, "Hold it! This will never sell." and canned it.

I have faith though that the game WILL come back. If we make enough noise, they'll listen, sit up, and realise, "Hey. People actually will buy this game."

Petition's up over 16000 and preorders are picking up some steam (15th ranked on Amazon.de's site from 6th this morning) due to a lot of german fans.

If it's money they're worried about, I think all the responses will eventually have an effect. Then, I can get on with playing the game instead of trolling the boards looking for news about the game.

if you make a statement you should always back it up, did lucasarts actually back up the whole "Its not the right time"thing with figures because to come to this decision surely they would have researched the interest and market for it before deciding that there wouldn't be a market? I'm not sure anyone know if they did release some kind of facts to go with it?:confused:

Well, it's just a fact of life that the Star Wars games are selling like crazy and great adventure games are receiving a lukewarm reception. Although, when was the last time an adventure game had generated as much buzz as Freelance Police? I read that the petition to save Obi-Wan (the really awful xbox title) had little more than 7000 sigs before lucasarts did an about face and rushed it onto the xbox. Oh the humanity!

it seems this might be the reason it was cancelled

LUCASARTS TO DEPLOY MERCENARIES™

LONDON, U.K. – March 15, 2004 – LucasArts officially announced today that it will deploy Mercenaries, an open-ended third person combat-action game this fall for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox video game system from Microsoft. Set in North Korea where a coup has plunged the troubled nation into chaos, an elite private military company has dispatched a lone mercenary to track down 52 fugitive members of the old hardliner regime --- before they can launch a nuclear attack.

GRRR! Lucasarts just keep pissin' me off! They say that it isn't the right time well WHEN is the right time, there consumers won't just put down their starwars games and rush out to buy A Lucasarts adventure game pack. They won't know how it will go if they don't at least give more thought into it ask around and see how people find it. :rifle1::evanpiel:

:max::sam:

I say Lucas Arts should do some more market research to find out how many people still like adventure games. I think they'll be suprised that many people are looking for this type of game again, because everything is getting a little stale.

The true test of market research would just be to release the sonofabitch and find out how well Sam and Max will actually do on the market. When a game is this anticipated, you can't go wrong. (well you can... *cough* enter the matrix)

The fact is that adventure games sell as well as they always have, if not better. It's just that now that there are so many people in the market for computer games (compared to the 'hayday of adventure gaming' in the early 90s), that the masses buy into FPS' and other action oriented games making it look more desirable for developers.

In other words, a game released today would make as much money as it did then if not more, but compared to FPSes etc, it doesn't make much at all. So what? Does everything have to be about making the most possible money? What if restaurants only served steak and lobster?

I am extremely disappointed in LucasArts for dropping this because they won't make 'enough' money. And Grim Fandango 2. And, damn it, where's my sequel to Day of the Tentacle?!?!

End rant.

What if they are waiting for competition? There are no charecters like Sam and Max in the gaming area and promoting a charecter is harder when there is no one to contrast them to. If Sam and Max and lets say, Demonic Lobster both had similar games coming out at the same time people would choose sides and debate which is better. That would provoke curiosity in people that normally would not talk about an adventure game.

But whatever, I still think those MMrpgs are to blame.

Archived