Home

Why Lucasarts cancelled it

lagamorph321

Originally posted by Dimensio

Well, yeah. I don't know anyone who has heard of the first Gram Fandago.

That's what you think we mean? WRONG! Grim had a beautiful ending putting all the characters into the next stage of their life where inserting a sequal would just be forced and awkward. Not only that but with Tim Schafer gone working at his own excellent company there is no one left at LucasArts with the balls to pull a sequal off correctly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Skinkie

That's what you think we mean? WRONG! Grim had a beautiful ending putting all the characters into the next stage of their life where inserting a sequal would just be forced and awkward. .

Grim? I've heard of a game with "Grim" in the title: Grim Fandango, and I wouldn't be able to accept a sequel either. However, I have never heard of the title "Gram Fandago", which was the subject of another's comment.

There are some games and movies that don't deserve to have weak sequels because the originals were so amazing and incredible that it would be impossible to top them and make a better sequel (example: GF doesn't need sequels. Rare pulling-offs of this would be MI2 and DOTT)

When a game is this anticipated, you can't go wrong. (well you can... *cough* enter the matrix)

actually, they didnt go wrong with enter the matrix

IT SUCKED!!! but somehow it sold well.... im still trying to do the math to figure how that game sold well

well...my deal with Sam And Max is that it's not JUST an adventure game. You see all those games out there like Myst that are labeled adventure games...I don't think I laughed at Myst or any of its sequels...there arn't all that many FUNNY adventure games anymore. A game like Sam and Max would just be a joy ride the whole way through. Lucasarts showed it still knows how to make people laugh with Armed and Dangerous...(well...the company they contracted to make the game knows how anyway) I think a game like Sam and Max could bridge the gap to the casual gamers easily and thus sell well...but I don't think Lucasarts sees that. I think they see it as just an adventure game...and the adventure genre has really started moving towards the hardcore fanatics...which is why I think Sam and Max is a bit misrepresented in the eyes of LucasArts marketing, this game would be a laugh a second, far from what the adventure genre is putting out right now.

Originally posted by toenail1

actually, they didnt go wrong with enter the matrix

IT SUCKED!!! but somehow it sold well.... im still trying to do the math to figure how that game sold well

It didn't go wrong, and it sucked? Are you saying it was a good suck or what?

My view:

Alright so LucasArts has decided to cancel Sam & Max because there simply doesn’t seem to be a market for it. Well they do make a point, most of the modern adventure games are, well, pretty boring. You just get stuck on some island or some strange world and you have to find out how to get back home, or save your world or something messed over. There isn’t a market because for the most part the games suck, and could put you to sleep. Now the original Sam & Max, and most of classic LA games were enjoyable, fast paced and very funny! So yes maybe there isn’t a market, but sometimes one lone game can create a market.

Before Half-Life FPS were all the same. You were some guy with an overpowered shotgun that kills the all monsters that are trying to destroy mankind as we know it. The only thought process required, was when you had to look for the blue key to open the blue door. Then along came Half-Life, now there was a plot, there were people that you could interact and the AI was breathtaking for the era. HL changed the face of FPS and the entire gaming industry all together! Now why was HL so successful? Simple the company took a risk. They decided not to concern themselves with market trends the traditional FPS formula, and went with something new, something know as a major risk. And my god it ever pay off!! Now based on what little information was revealed, S&M: FP could have very well done the exact same thing as HL, only for adventure games. But it can happen if LA keeps the plug out of the wall.

After nearly a month of watching the signatures pile up on the petitions, of seeing forums boards become littered with outrage over this, after hundreds of letters, e-mails and phone calls to LA, after seeing major media sites like IGN and Gamespot and others express their disappointment, I have come to realize that LucasArts simply doesn’t give a rats ass but us. They are ignoring us; our voices are falling on deaf ears. But we are not like LucasArts, we are not afaird of failure. We, as gamers and fans of S&M, will keep fighting until someone listens!!!!

When this first happened I posted an article and comic on my site to express how completely upset I was over this. I got a response from someone who works in the game industry. (Which I can verify, she does.)

She said that she has friends at LucasArts and claimed I was flying off the handle and being offensive because the game "sucked" and thats why it was cancelled. She went on to say that they like these types of games just as much as us and were very upset at it being cancelled.

I have a few problems with this. I don't doubt that the people who worked on this do feel that way. I don't doubt that she was telling the truth to the best of her ability. However it doesn't add up that they would release a statement labout adventure games not selling if the real reason was that the game was not working.

Something is fishy and I think it goes back to what you were saying about the management being fukked.

also if the game did suck, then why is a legendary company making something like this? then they still have issues and I have issues with LucasArts. Grr.

I see that LucasArts really cares for thier consumers... ha! Instead of all that crap about finances, maybe they should tell us the real story. Or are they too embarrased to confess that they are a bunch of gutless pukes who care more about their asshair then the people who buy their games.

I defacate on LA.

Originally posted by AkaNezumi

She said that she has friends at LucasArts and claimed I was flying off the handle and being offensive because the game "sucked" and thats why it was cancelled. She went on to say that they like these types of games just as much as us and were very upset at it being cancelled.

Honestly, I don't think that's true. With Full Throttle 2, which showed some serious indications of sucking, it was cancelled...but at least LucasArts said "yeah, we cancelled it 'cause it sucked."

If they're not afraid to admit it with FT2, why would they hide behind "market conditions" for Sam & Max 2?

Sorry, but something's just not adding up there...

Here's how I interpret it after looking at the comments they've released: The sales department could not get their eyes off of the sales of RTX, A&D, and Wrath, instead of looking at the sales of Sam and Max 1. They probably assumed the game wouldn't recoup enough money for them and didn't want to take the risk for money resources. Whether Mike Stemmle had a say in this or not is beyond me.

So they pulled the plug. But good grief, millions of fans are pouring out everything we have within our power - well written and sound e-mails, twenty-thousand signature petitions, pre-ordering a cancelled game - this means something.

22,589 petition signatures times $45 (average cost of game) = $1,016,505 for Lucasarts! Even if the petition is speaking an invalid number, official sites like IGN and magazines like GameSpy would've extended the Sam and Max game to average gaming fans who've never heard of the game, boosting sales higher.

No matter what happens, I firmly believe Lucasarts will revive Sam and Max Freelance Police in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

it's not just a game, dammit! it's sam and max! it's an experience. a chance to get to bask in their baldly funny dialogue, and helpfully bizarre situations.

I'm upset. I just finished playing the first one this year, and then was v. excited that just now, instead of having to wait unforeseen years, a sequel was coming out in a scant few months. and then, the crushing disappointment.

I wrote an e-mail but it was more about catching flies with honey.

/joysan, grrr.

Originally posted by joysan

it's not just a game, dammit! it's sam and max! it's an experience. a chance to get to bask in their baldly funny dialogue, and helpfully bizarre situations.

I'm upset. I just finished playing the first one this year, and then was v. excited that just now, instead of having to wait unforeseen years, a sequel was coming out in a scant few months. and then, the crushing disappointment.

I wrote an e-mail but it was more about catching flies with honey.

/joysan, grrr.

Wow, that sounds very accurate to what all of our hearts have been screaming about the cancellation, all formed up into words. and if you could, please send the e-mail via snail mail, it carries more weight on the effect.

CONGRATS ON A ON-TOPIC THREAD!!!

They probably canceled it for the same reason for the canceling of Full Throttle 2. I get tired of Lucasarts canceling projects. They canceled Star Wars Galaxies An Empire Divided for Playstation 2 and X-box before they released the PC version. Now they are keeping it PC and making a space expansion pack called Jump to Lightspeed set for a release date of Fall 2004. Typical!

Speaking of Star Wars Galaxies, LucasArts is having a fan fest for the game at the Hilton Anaheim on June 4th & 5th. So why don't we bust up the joint dressed as Sam & Max. No? How 'bout we seize the podium and yell : "YOU KILLED SAM & MAX, YOU ****ING NERDS!!" No? Um....send them a bunch pizzas they didn't order?

That's a DAMN good idea, you guys HAVE to do that! I would but I don't live in the US.

Speaking of Star Wars Galaxies, LucasArts is having a fan fest for the game at the Hilton Anaheim on June 4th & 5th. So why don't we bust up the joint dressed as Sam & Max. No? How 'bout we seize the podium and yell : "YOU KILLED SAM & MAX, YOU ****ING NERDS!!" No? Um....send them a bunch pizzas they didn't order?

Originally posted by ShaneyBoy428

I like the podium seizing idea too! LucasArts would HAVE to listen then. I am working on something for you to chant on the podium.

Archived