Home

Developers roundup: let's make our own unofficial game

a_monkey

I'll be dead before I get to play another official Sam and Max game. -a_monkey

This is what my thoughts were when I came back to visit the Sam & Max site today. So I have a proposition. Let's get some amateur developers together on this forum, to create our own "Sam & Max" unofficial game.

If the game has been cancelled, and they are no longer supporting the older game, then it's considered abandonware. Their rights for the game name are revoked. All we need is Steve Purcells go ahead to create an unofficial game.

So I ask, is there any developers here that can help? I'm an amateur developer with fours years work experience that knows C++ and Visual Basic. Also I have a music degree and own MIDI hardware that can be used for producing the music. Although I'm not very indept with creating music, so we'll need a composer.

Everyone involved will need their own tools for development, of course.

We need the following...

1) Several developers proficient in Visual or .NET C++.

2) Graphics Artists.

3) Sound Engineer

4) Lead Engineer

5) ***Insert more here***

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just fed up with getting the run-around from companies these days. And I'm fed up with all the console games being released, but no games for PC. My favorite software stores like GameStop, Babbages, EB Games...used to have whole walls full of PC games. Now they only have one section with PC games and the whole store is full with lame X-Box and PS2 games. It must be because all the "Nintendo kiddies" are growing up. This is where all our PC games are going....to the consoles.

It's time for PC games to make a comeback!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'll do anything humaly possible to help you guys, but I dunno what I can do. I no programmer, or even a very good artist, but I'll do anything to help you.

Anyways, the guys at this site do some quality work. http://herculeaneffort.adventuredevelopers.com/

I dunno what they could do for you since they are working on their second game, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

You've got me, I was looking forward to doing this after they pulled S&M from prodution. If you need to know what I can do to help here it is, I have Morderate programing skills, I have 3D Modeling and Key-frame aminating abillities, and I do alot of art work. If you need any proof, give me an E-Mail and I'll see if I can get you a Pic and a Short MPG File of what I do.

Wow! Somebody read my mind. March 3rd, I said to myself, "If they won't do it, I will." I don't know how useful I'll be, but I'll pitch in with this project.

Before we sit down and get to work, here's a few questions:

1. How are we going to make it? The only 3d game making studio I have experience with is 3D Game Studio, but I don't know if that suits what we'll need.

2. Shooter or adventure? I know everybody's going to say adventure, but I was kinda thinkin' a Sam and Max shooter would be fun, yelling things like "Hey! Hey buddy! Come back! We just wanna talk!" while you're shooting a purse-stealer.

3. Real-time or pre-rendered backgrounds? If pre-rendered is the case, I'll be happy to design the rooms and so on.

4. I am a so-so modeler, and a horrible script programmer, but to get an idea of how capable I am with drawn artwork, download my fangame Goodbye Monkey Island ( http://www.freewebs.com/lucaskeen ), which is entirely hand-drawn (except for Part 5), with blended in 3D effects.

Good luck to whoever's going to lead this project. :)

By the way, SyntheticGerbil, try some arithmetic...

STEVE PURCELL + TALENTED PEOPLE + SAM AND MAX = A GREAT GAME THAT CAN'T GO WRONG

I think what you have proposed is a great idea. Creating our own Sam and Max game. Maybe LucasArts will branch out from their StarWars hype and realize that adventure games are more appreciated by their fans by creating an adventure game ourselves. And who knows, maybe we could become team members within the LucasArts Company (I'm just dreaming)

However, I think that if we were to make an adventure game, we should use FLASH, (don't jump to conclusions and say that it is a dumb idea cause then the game will only be playable online, Flash has a publishing setting that lets you choose whether or not you want your file as a Windows executable or Mac exe). And it will make animation and scripting a little bit easier (from what I know).

And last but not least, I will let you know that I have experience as a graphic designer and I am willing to participate in the development of a sam and max game (if there seems to be a lot of people committed then I will definitely be more than happy to participate.)

:jawa:c3po::fett:

Sorry to bother you guys again, but I forgot to place some links on examples of FLASH games similar to scumm, there arent too many but here(just take it!!!)

Face is an engine to create scumm like games, in development, and mostly in German, worth checking out though

http://www.face-engine.com/?newlang=eng

derrick is unfortunately in German, but it is a good example, just click on the adventure option after the flash intro.

http://www.derrick-derfilm.de/

And here is a little presentation that was created by a Flash designer, nothing special, just an example

http://www.aporos.com/flash/ScummFlash-v103.html

So...when are we gonna start? We've gotta get a basic plotline down first (this'll be the fun part). Let's just let ideas fly for about a month, and then we should nail the story down.

I think we should make part of the game just Sam and Max aimlessly wandering around. Cracking jokes at each other and running into / causing trouble is what I think is the funniest part of Sam and Max. For instance, at one part in the first comic, they're in a plane (this is a paraphrase).....

Max: Can I spit out the window?

Sam: We're 17 million feet above the ground. You'll be sucked into the void of space.

Max: Yeep.

Sam: Now finish your delicious meal before I shove it down your throat, little pal.

(Max starts flicking food at the guy in front)

Sam: I've gotta get up. This is grisly.

:(

im taking a C++ class NEXT YEAR, but thats probably a little too late, plus i have no idea how good i'll be

i can probably do some writing, i am good at making up stories, and im prob. one of the funniest kids at my school (ive never been to a class where me and my friends dont laugh the whole class, and it isnt from stupid-hackey jokes, its usually more sophisticated stuff, sorta like what HTR had)

plus i have a *cough*imaginitive*cough* mind (yes, ive been accused of being on mind altering substances numerous times

I can see were SyntheticGerbil is coming from, but I'll have to say that there are More good fan based games than bad. Its just that they make no money off of it that suck.

In what sounds to be a remarkable break through I'd like to help. You guys give the direction you want the game and I'll give it a Crack.

Calling all Cars.....Pissed at Lucas Arts......losing faith in the world.....well close your blacklight closets and listen.

I own a company that has the capabilites to produce the game. I have enough of a corprate structure to get this beyond the pipe dream stage, without it becoming a corporate flop.....If we can aquire the Intellectual Property rights to the duo. This will happen. I am dead ****ing serious!

WHO'S WITH ME?

Daniel M. Calig

CFO Red Guitar Media

dancalig@redguitarmedia.com

I dunno how it will turn out... Depends on the script writers really as I'm sure there is enough talent out there for graphic artists etc. Anyway, I'm a C++ Programmer with over 7 years experience and I'd be willing to help if anything gets started, so long as there is a good team structure in place and project leader.

Cheers

I need everyone interested in this project to send me their contact info complete with a list of your individual skills. Once I get that I will begin dishing out responsibilities. As far as the legal aspect of this goes, don't worry were covered. I have my lawyers too.

I will head up this project, but I can only go as fast as my team. So the sooner we get a team formed we can get started.

Listen everyone, I have completed harder projects before, so stay with me and this will become a reality. So go, send me info, lets get to work.

kinda games you need like loads and loads of people to create them

actually, most fan games usually only have about 5-10 people

and most medium-budget games have about 25 people

and a-list games have about 30-40

thats not a whole lot

Archived