Home

Developers roundup: let's make our own unofficial game

a_monkey

What's your e-mail address, ball o twine? I'd be more than happy to be involved. I want to be a graphic artist and story writer, and I'll send you some stuff so you'll know what I'm capable of.

Graphic artist: I've done some Sam and Max sketches that I could send you via e-mail.

Story writer: I could write up a sample Sam and Max story...

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fear not troops, had to finish a project. If you ever come to Pittsburgh checkout the Hologram Installation in the Steel Building. So, Chron-o-John has sent me some info via my address <dancalig@redguitarmedia.com> and Brushguy expressed an interest in the graphic and storyline dept. Add these two to my own graphic design team at my office and our numbers are well over 15 heads. We still need 3D animators that excell in flash environments.

Overall plan for the project, I think we can have this done in nine months if everyone commits.

Anyone who participates in the project, for legal reasons, is a subcontractor to Red Guitar Media, not an employee.

The project and final product will be under the legal umbrella of Red Guitar Media. So fear not, if Lucas Arts brings the thunder, I gotta lightning rod.

Keep sending resumes to my office, I need to determine our strengths before I can start dolling out resposibilities.

DMC

ball o twine, I'll send you some stuff via e-mail later today. By the way, I am a reasonable voice actor and will contribute voices if you need 'em. ;)

But a few questions for now...

1. Is the game going to be downloadable Flash, or is it a game we can pick up off of the store shelves?

2. If Lucasarts brings Sam and Max 2 back, what will happen to this project? :rolleyes:

Err...due to copyright issues I highly doubt you can try and sell it.

As long as we get Steve's backing on this, since he owns the Sam and Max rights, I think this game could be sold. But, nevertheless, somebody needs to e-mail him, preferably ball o twine.

Speaking of ball o twine, when are you gonna put up more info? This topic is gettin' kinda dead.

Hey guys, I'm a 2D animator and cartoonist ... also a comedy writer, filmmaker (7 features, 30 shorts) and a voice actor.

Wouldn't mind contributing some stuff to this project. I can do voices ... I can do a good Sam and a good Max actually.

As far as my art/animation skills go, check out this clip:

http://www.orangecow.org/videos/squiffytoon.rm

Or my comic strip "The Sugarhigh Crusade."

http://orangecow.org/sugarhigh

I can ape Steve Purcell's drawing style if necessary.

I could write gags ... I'm a quite good dialogue writer, comedic or otherwise. I work on a mac, so whatever I would be working on would have to be mac-viewable.

A while back when I was still using PC, I did a few amateur video games and even started a Lucasarts style adventure before giving up on it because it would take the rest of my life to program ...

Anyway, I wouldn't mind contributing a few things to this project .... I'd like to see it progress a bit first, before putting too much time into it. Just for fun I would contribute voices regardless of the progress of the project. But if you guys get any further, and could show some cool screenshots and it was obvious the project was worthwhile, I could do some really nice stuff for you.

Okay?

my email is ocpmovie at lycos.com .

You can see more of my work at my sites.

Hi

I can draw Sam & Max pretty well, I'd be happy to help. Also, if anyone wants to lead the project and co-ordinate events, I'm pretty good at that.

My art's up at http://www.cartoonist.co.za/scott.htm

Suppose all we need is a couple of artists, a script...and a 3D game might be pushing it a bit far for now...

For a 2D game, we'll need at least:

one background artist

one character designer

one character 'finisher'

one character animator

one programmer (big job)

one scriptwriter

And that's it for a 2D game. Using the 'ADVENTURE GAME STUDIO' engine is pretty easy to make a game with, if anyone knows how to use it.

So, anyone interested, let me know. It's not going to be like the other high-quality LUCASARTS games, but it'll probably be darn funny and something to keep just for fun - as well as a good learning experience!

Mike Scott

http://www.cartoonist.co.za

Ill help, i can advertise on a few websites and i can inform a buncha people, i dont know much about 3d modeling or anything all i can do is flash.

Why cant we just get lucasarts to make the game, they spent atleast a week on the trailer, then they just cancel? That pisses me off.

Hmmm, seems like there are a lot of people questioning the whole flash idea. And there are also people assuming that this would be a fan game that would take over Sam and Max Freelance police, but that would not be the case. The game would be considered a fangame and it would have nothing to do with the 3d sequel: Sam and Max Freelance police. It would most likely be easier to create a fanbased game in the highest quality 2D graphics to preserve the style of Sam and Max's animation, very similar to Curse of Monkey Island. I would love to participate by creating Flash animations and learning actionscript to make it a flash based game. But I am in the process of learning flash, I have covered all aspects of Flash animation, but Actionscript is a different story. If there is anyone interested in creating a fan game in Flash please email me. If there are any people who are skilled in flash, especially with actionscript, please email me. And last but not least, if anyone has run into an adventure game that is flash based, then please email me a link or post the link on this forum. My goal is to learn as much as I can about adventure game creation within flash.

I do know Adventure Game Studio. Haven't used it in a while, but I am very fond of the way it allows you to write dialogue. I could definitely write some wacky dialogue. Otherwise AGS is a bit too complex.

I don't mind the Flash idea at all, that might be the way to go. Still, AGS would allow us to make the game look much much more like a classic Lucasarts game. AGS games are almost indistinguishable from classic Lucasacts games. Even if it is a complicated, difficult program.

The game should be as similar to Curse of Monkey Island as possible I would say. The sprites would look like the ones in Hit the Road, but larger and more detailed.

Brushguy -- you can move ahead without ballotwine. If somebody starts posting some material for this game, I'll be pleased.

I said I could do voices .... I can do either Sam or Max - with a preference for Sam.

I can definitely do Max's voice. ;)

I am an experienced Adventure Game Studio, so if we want to use that, I'll happily do all the programming for the game. My only gripe about AGS is that the files for the game (when ready to be distributed) are huge. I like the CMI-style idea (CMI is one of my favorite Lucasarts of the Past games), but as I said earlier, detailed graphics = a lot of megabytes.

I wish ball o twine would reply...he said he would lead this project. :(

Okay, then.

Voice of Max: Brushguy

Voice of Sam: Tygerbug.

If you're more comfortable with AGS, and I'm more comfortable with AGS (which I am), let's just use AGS.

Maveric: AGS basically IS a Scumm-type engine. It starts as a Sierra-type engine, but is easy to modify to Lucasarts style. I did it for my game The Quest for the Mummy's Shoes.

So, let's use AGS.

My only problem is that I usually/always use a Mac. Is there any way to get the DOS AGS to open up on a Mac so I can view it? Or should I give up and break out my dusty old 1997-era PC, Broken Monitor and all?

As for large graphics and large file size, I was counting on this being a large game. I was figuring the demo could be DLed on the net, but we might even distribute the final game as a proper game, via CDs. Regardless, even if the final game is over 1GB, I've got plenty of space at my webspace, and have no problems with hosting this.

I would advise not waiting for BalloTwine right now. If you're interested in working on this project, let's get a demo going. For graphics in the demo, just use the sprites from the original Hit the Road, enlarged to about three times their original size to match a 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 resolution with larger CMI-style characters. This will look wonky, but I will redraw them personally once the demo is made.

I'd like to see a demo to see what you can do with AGS, Brushguy. When this is done, I'll post my "response" in the form of an extended/fixed version of said demo.

Send me any lines you need recorded as Sam also.

As for me, I'll look on my old CDs and on my old PC hard drive and break out my unfinished game "The Quest for the Mummy's Shoes." Only a couple of rooms were ever finished, but it had a style and interface I wouldn't mind applying to this game ... although the art was more photo-style. Hmm, actually we should just use a Hit the Road type interface.

When demo is done, send all the AGS files to me.

Are there any decent starting sprite sheets for Sam and Max anywhere online? Have there been any fan games of Sam and Max before, done in Click & Create/Multimedia Fusion or whatever? (Very fond of Click & Create/Multimedia Fusion myself.)

This common S&M sprite sheet is completely useless. Woo.

http://www.flashstand.com/spritehq/sprites/misc/samnmax-big.gif

Italian Sam & Max demo game.

http://digilander.libero.it/bisland/progetti.html

I have emailed the creator of this, looking for a copy of his AGS data files/sprite files.

Thread about this game at AGS forums.

http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=8721;start=0

Thread about wanting to make a Sam and Max fan game at Adventure Gamers.

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=2379

Just cracked open AGS for the first time in ages.

Also Scumm Revisited, which I could never really figure out that well.

Archived