Developers roundup: let's make our own unofficial game

a_monkey

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voice of Max: Brushguy

Voice of Sam: Tygerbug

Storywriters: Maveric and Brushguy

We need somebody to do backgrounds, graphics, so on.

Whoever is interested, do some Sam and Max sprites, the office, and immediately outside, but don't make the DeSoto part of the background, make it a separate sprite, so as to be able to move it around the screen, without heavy editing to the picture.

I have some 3D landscaping studios of sort on my PC, so if you want 3D backgrounds, but a 2D game, I can handle the backgrounds. But if it's going to be 2D with 3D graphics, we need a modeler for the characters cuz I am a n00b at modeling.

I'll get started on a demo. :)

Flash I tell you! Flash is internet compatible and can also be used to create executible files so they can be distributed on disk without relying on the internet!!! Flash can also be used on IBM and MAC, you can't go wrong with flash! But if you guys want to create a game in AGS then so be it. I wouldn't mind contributing with graphics or animations for a Sam and Max fan game. But if there is anyone interested in creating scumm like games in flash then please email me!

Chron-O-John, I have nothing against Flash, but to do that, we need an expert in programming Flash. Once we find him/her, we can send that person all the voices and graphics and animations to put in the game. I was only suggesting AGS because it's easy and simple to put together a complex game.

The team is growing....

Storywriters: Maveric and Brushguy

Graphic Artists: Brushguy and Chron-O-John

Voice of Max: Brushguy

Voice of Sam: Tygerbug

Let me know what you want to do and I'll add your name, or if you want to be removed from the list.

And here is a Sam and Max story I quickly thought up, that we might use........

SAM AND MAX

&

THE ARTIFICIAL INTESTINES

Sam and Max get a call from the Commissioner. They must deliver a secret parcel containing the Prosthetic Intestines 2000 to a secret spy organization. Due to the arbitrarily sensitive nature of the mission, they have to find the parcel themselves.

PART I

Sam and Max search the US of A on a wild and insane hunt for the parcel, which naturally got lost in the mail. At the end of the part, they finally find it, when they run into a shady member of this spy organization. He snatches the parcel and promises it will go to the right authorities. Shortly after that, Sam and Max discover he's ACTUALLY working for M.S.O. (The Mack Salmon Organization). He snatches the parcel and Sam and Max as prisoners.

PART II

Sam and Max are taken to Mack Salmon's base. (Here is a long explanation from Mack Salmon as to how he got into his condition...I'll insert it later...but anyway, the artificial intestines are what can change him back to normal so he can TAKE ON THE WORLD!!!) This part is spent by Sam and Max trying to escape from Mack Salmon's secret base.

PART III

Sam and Max get on a rocketship and head for outer space. In this part, I want it to imitate what the "Sam and Max in Space" game was going to be...the spy organization they're supposed to find is deep in space, so Sam and Max must find them before the aliens get to S&M first!

As to the reason this organization needs the intestines, I haven't figured that out yet. Let me know what you think would make it more S&M - like!

Thank you for including Mack Salmon in the game. I wanted Mack Salmon to be the main villain ... but didn't bring it up.

As many characters from the comics as possible should be involved I think ... I'm thinking Flint Paper, the Diaper Commandos ...

Don't mind 3d backgrounds at all, that could be lovely. But I DEFINITELY think the sprites should be 2-d .... the TV series should be of major help for reference and even test sprites. Those who have any episodes that is! I don't ... though I see many on P2P networks.

No offense to the lovely and hopefully someday to be actually released graphics of S&M2, but Sam and Max just don't look as right in 3d.

I think the pleasantly understated credit sequence should be animated clips from the TV series. Would look jazzy.

To rip test sprites from Hit the Road , go to Lucashacks, download costume ripper. Or another program not at Lucashacks called costume viewer, a little buggy but much less DOSy. It's Windowsy. If you haven't got Hit the Road around, DL the Sam and Max playable demo from the ScummVM page. Then, rip away!

A close look at the old sprites should be a good inspiration for new sprites.

Setting the final act in space is PERFECT. There needs to be a flying Space DeSoto. And bits and pieces stolen from Bad Day on the Moon.

The intestines opening sounds workable, but lead up to it, cos i think a Sam and Max game can't quite begin that way. They should be completing a case as we begin. The commissioner should call them about something else rather than the intestines, and then they hit upon the intestines thing, which leads them to Mack Salmon etc.

One way this game could move beyond what's in Hit the Road is by our boys actually making use of their guns! Frequently!

I had some plot ideas, but it's 6AM and I haven't slept and they seem to have vanished and I'm getting the most BIZARRE IDEAS.

I actually had an odd time travel scene in my head, where Sam and Max just jump back and forth randomly in time and Max winds up becoming pregnant and giving birth to himself .... this is never explained.

Yes, I'm losing it.

I'm currently working on sprites for a possible AGS game based on a comic strip of mine called The Sugarhigh Crusade ... which I've been doing since '99. I'm doing large, full Warner Bros-like animation for them and they look gorgeous .... Wonder if I'd ever be able to do the work to actually turn it into a game tho'. Will post some demos when I've got one done ... Will definitely be thinking of Sam and Max stuff and may whip up some materials soon.

Lemme know when you need my voice/witty dialogue writing skills.

For those of you wanting the sprites to the original Hit the Road, I've made this special collection for you.

http://orangecow.org/1media/SamandMaxsprites.zip

I don't have the full version with me right now, so this is all from the demo. Also, the program kept crashing, so I'm not sure I got quite everything of worth, but this is definitely more than enough to make your own Sam and Max game with the Hit the Road sprites.

Okay, I think I can rework the plot a little bit. And I have absolutely no idea what we should put in those chapters, so suggestions are more than welcome. I'll try to reply to everything since my last post.

I'll do any grunt work you need me for, such as getting the sprites from the game with the ol' print screen, then clean it up in photoshop... oh joy.

Sprites from the old game would be nice, especially if you are using the Windows EXE where the pixely edges are smoothed out.

As many characters from the comics as possible should be involved I think ... I'm thinking Flint Paper, the Diaper Commandos ...

I think I could work Flint Paper and the Rubber Pants Commandos into Part II at Mack Salmon's base. Let's see, Mack Salmon could have the boys surrounded by his cronies, it looks like the end, but suddenly the Rubber Pants Commandos crash through the ceiling and save S&M (I love it when Sam and Max are saved in strange ways).

Don't mind 3d backgrounds at all, that could be lovely. But I DEFINITELY think the sprites should be 2-d .... the TV series should be of major help for reference and even test sprites. Those who have any episodes that is!

I know 3D landscapes in 2D would be great, and I can handle the backgrounds if Pork_Soda will get the sprites of Sam, Max, and so on.

the TV series should be of major help for reference

Anybody who wants to see the Geek in this game raise your hand. I think there's nothing wrong with her, but fans of the comics won't want her in it, I know. I also want a LOT of Lucasarts adventure game references in the game, as well as some subtle jabbing insults towards Lucasarts (i.e. Sam and Max walk into a movie theatre in Part I and they say to the manager "HEY! YOU'RE SHOWING STAR WARS EPISODE III, COMING FROM LUCASFILM, WHERE ALL THE BAD BUSINESS DECISIONS ARE MADE! YOU'RE TAKING THE FALL SON!")

I think the pleasantly understated credit sequence should be animated clips from the TV series. Would look jazzy.

I can do that too, blending in TV clips with the Hit the Road credits music and our names on the opening credits. Leave that to me, and we'll send it to the guy / girl whose going to be doing all the Flash stuff.

Setting the final act in space is PERFECT. There needs to be a flying Space DeSoto. And bits and pieces stolen from Bad Day on the Moon.

I can make it so that Sam and Max crash the space DeSoto on the moon and have to repair it. ;)

The intestines opening sounds workable, but lead up to it, cos i think a Sam and Max game can't quite begin that way. They should be completing a case as we begin. The commissioner should call them about something else rather than the intestines, and then they hit upon the intestines thing, which leads them to Mack Salmon etc.

I like that idea. But right now I've run the Idea-O-Matic 2000 (built into my head) completely dry. I'll think about that one.

One way this game could move beyond what's in Hit the Road is by our boys actually making use of their guns! Frequently!

Just make the guns inventory items and we can have them blast away. I'm partial to the idea of an environment that's totally destructable (i.e. Sam and Max can blow up the intoxicated pigeons, Bosco's store window, the mail box, etc. all with their guns).

How about some title ideas?

"Sam and Max & the Artificial Intestines" was my original title, but it is kind of bland. "Mack Salmon's Revenge" or "Day of the Fish?" Comments are welcome!

I like your edited DeSoto, tygerbug. Keep it up with the ideas! The more we speculate and come up with funny stuff, the more we can cram into the game.

Until ball o twine replies to this topic, I think we can carry the project on ourselves.

And finally, I would like this if it was a grassroots projects like "The New Adventures of Zak McKracken" and "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth."

Maybe I could start working on a website for our project. ;)

HERE IS THE CURRENT LIST OF CREDITS!

Let me know if you want your name pulled from the list / added to the list. But if you want to stay on the list, you actually have to be willing to finish this game!

---------------

Graphic Artists

Brushguy

Chron-O-John

tygerbug

patheticloser37

Animation

Brushguy

*More animators are welcome*

Flash Programming

Pork_Soda

Wasobi33

Music Writers

*Need somebody to do this*

Story Writers

Brushguy

toenail1

Maveric

Voice Acting

Brushguy

tygerbug

patheticloser37

As I said in one of my last posts, I already have ripped most of the more important sprites from Hit the Road. The demo version anyway.

Click it:

http://orangecow.org/1media/SamandMaxsprites.zip

I think I could work Flint Paper and the Rubber Pants Commandos into Part II at Mack Salmon's base. Let's see, Mack Salmon could have the boys surrounded by his cronies, it looks like the end, but suddenly the Rubber Pants Commandos crash through the ceiling and save S&M (I love it when Sam and Max are saved in strange ways).

Perfect! Definitely.

Flint Paper should also be in the beginning, since his office is next to Sam and Max.

I know 3D landscapes in 2D would be great, and I can handle the backgrounds if Pork_Soda will get the sprites of Sam, Max, and so on.

Looking forward to seeing your first backgrounds then!

Anybody who wants to see the Geek in this game raise your hand.

I wouldn't mind. I don't particularly WANT to see her in it, but I wouldn't think it was odd if she were.

I can do that too, blending in TV clips with the Hit the Road credits music and our names on the opening credits.

Perfect!

Leave that to me, and we'll send it to the guy / girl whose going to be doing all the Flash stuff.

Are we using Flash? Thought it was all AGS, no Flash.

I can make it so that Sam and Max crash the space DeSoto on the moon and have to repair it.

Goooooood puzzle! Do it. Do it.

Just make the guns inventory items and we can have them blast away. I'm partial to the idea of an environment that's totally destructable

Yes! DO it. Do it.

Everything sounds good here. Waiting to see more art, and a test demo.

Working on a test demo of my "other" game .... might post that here when it's more refined.

I actually, boredly, did a little test in AGS where the original Max walks around the Desoto photo ... nothing worth looking at tho'.

Are we using Flash? Thought it was all AGS, no Flash.

Well, Chron-O-John wants Flash, but there is nothing wrong with doing AGS. It wouldn't hurt to do an AGS demo, as long as we all agree on what to do for the final game.

Flint Paper should also be in the beginning, since his office is next to Sam and Max.

I'll work him into Part I somehow... :D

Expect this demo soon. :) I think it'll just be Sam and Max's office, the Geek's lab, the hallway outside their office, and the street immediately outside.

Of course tygerbug and I will have to agree on the voice lines to put into the game, since we'll be doing Sam & Max's voice. ;)

-------------------

Graphic Artists

Brushguy

Chron-O-John

tygerbug

patheticloser37

Animation

Brushguy

*More animators are welcome*

Flash Programming(if we do Flash)

Pork_Soda

Wasobi33

AGS Programming(if we do AGS)

Brushguy

Music Writers

*Need somebody to do this*

Story Writers

Brushguy

toenail1

Maveric

Voice Acting

Brushguy

tygerbug

patheticloser37

AGS! AGS! Do it all in AGS!

(to be chanted)

Oo, a demo! I was thinking of doing a crappy little demo, but it would have been crappy. Thanks for doing it, Brushguy. Gimme all the lines for the various voices and I can try 'em out for you even before you release it ... ocpmovie at lycos dot com being my email. Could make a nice little demo with voices.

Upon downloading a few episodes of the TV series and watching them after all these years, it's my opinion that all Sam and Max sprites should be taken from nice VHS copies of the TV series. If I had any, I would start doing this. This occurred to me when I noticed the occasional "solid color background" shots ... I started thinking, hey, that would be easy to cut out and use as a sprite ...

If closeup animations are used, one would have to very carefully add in the rest of the body ... but the results would be staggering.

CMI-level animation, on Sam and Max, that we don't actually have to do ourselves.

I would do this myself, if I had VHS copies of the eps rather than these downloaded WMVs.

Also, I remember enjoying Sam's voice on the TV series when I watched as a kid, but now completely hate it. Max's is passable for what it is.

Also, the show still isn't very funny.

EDIT: watching more episodes. Used to Sam's voice now. I now recall it took some getting used to back then too.

EDIT:

This popped into my head for some reason.

Sam: Max, I am your father.

Max: Nooooooooooo!

Sam: Yeah, I'm your father. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Max: That's ... that's impossible.

Sam: Is it? Oh. You're right, it is. I couldn't be your father. Did I say I was your father? That's silly.

Max: Sam, stop using me in your intricate web of lies.

Looking through old files. Found a copy of the AGS "Quest for the Mummy's Shoes" game I was working on last year. I'd JUST begun when I stopped. The summer had ended. All I did was one starting room, two outdoor screens, and one indoor conversation ... no puzzles even. Kind of amusing though. Wouldn't mind doing more work on it. Check it out for a taste of my first try at AGS.

http://orangecow.org/1media/ags/spanky/spanky.zip

The lead character sprite is me ... this is a game sequel to a movie of mine called Excaliburger. Shut the game off after you've finished talking to Oona, there's nothing more to see after that.

I'm working on a proper cartoon-animated game demo at the moment ... will post it properly when I've done more work on it. I'm only trying to get the player character working at the moment.

Here, actually - here's a retarded demo showing him walking.

Literally all it is is his walking animation. You can have him walk around the screen, around the Sam and Max car. I said it was retarded, but check out the animation - neat huh?

http://orangecow.org/1media/ags2/again/retardedlordalericdemo.zip

Originally posted by tygerbug

Sam: Is it? Oh. You're right, it is. I couldn't be your father. Did I say I was your father? That's silly.

neh.

I would be willing to try to learn AGS, and I never said I could program flash, I can just animate with it

Sorry! Misunderstanding. Thought you said you could program Flash. But we'll be using AGS anyway, unless a brilliant Flash programmer comes along. :D

Upon downloading a few episodes of the TV series and watching them after all these years, it's my opinion that all Sam and Max sprites should be taken from nice VHS copies of the TV series. If I had any, I would start doing this. This occurred to me when I noticed the occasional "solid color background" shots ... I started thinking, hey, that would be easy to cut out and use as a sprite ...

If closeup animations are used, one would have to very carefully add in the rest of the body ... but the results would be staggering.

CMI-level animation, on Sam and Max, that we don't actually have to do ourselves.

plus, do you still need sprites, or are the ones given good enough?

As for the sprites, I like tygerbug's idea of using the shows for sprites and backgrounds, and I do have a DVD of the episodes (so I could use ScreenThief and a DVD-ROM player on my PC) but it would be next-to-impossible and take lots and lots of time. You'd need back, side, and front animations of Sam, Max, etc. that loop and look like convincing animations. I think I can use the sprites from Hit the Road, I'll download tygerbug's ZIP tonite...

I would do this myself, if I had VHS copies of the eps rather than these downloaded WMVs.

Um, where are you downloading the episodes?

Also, the show still isn't very funny.[...]watching more episodes. Used to Sam's voice now. I now recall it took some getting used to back then too.

I take it that since you're doing Sam, you're going to be imitating the Hit the Road Sam and not the TV show Sam, right? I personally considered the show funny, though...

Hmm, using your earlier idea of Max giving birth to himself (lol), and the above set of lines (funny) I could have one section of Part III be a twisted mental hospital of sorts (on another planet), and weird things happen like time travel, the above conversation, Sam giving birth to Max, etc. Whatever. :)

-------------------------------

Brushguy

Graphic Artist

Animation

AGS Programming

Story Writer

Voice Acting

Chron-O-John

Graphic Artist

tygerbug

Graphic Artist

Voice Acting

patheticloser37

Graphic Artist

Voice Acting

toenail1

Story Writer

Maveric

Story Writer

*Still need somebody to write music*

How did you get the episodes on DVD?

Some guy on eBay stuck them on a DVD. They contain all 16 episodes from the tapes, 4 episodes that never got on tapes, and 2 shorts.

Here's to your team of ingrates.

Speak for yourself.

Archived