Home

Developers roundup: let's make our own unofficial game

a_monkey

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, you don't have to do THAT, toenail1. Since you offered to be a story writer, what would help is some advice on our fangame story plot, like what you think would make it better. ;)

Here's the improved story for Part I (title suggestions are welcome)...

--------------------------------

Sam and Max chase the Mad Thespian (from two of the TV episodes) into an alley. He runs into the backdoor of a theatre. Sam and Max must enter and solve a few puzzles to bring him to justice. This ends in a huge fight with Sam, Max, and the Mad Thespian, causing a parcel to slip out of MT's coat before S&M turn him over to the police. It's adressed "To: Sam and Max - From: The Commissioner" "How did the Mad Thespian get his hands on that?" asks Sam. "Dunno," says Max, "but it might be important."

Therefore, they take it to Flint Paper and he tells them that it contains an important tool (the artificial intestines) that a secret organization needs. Meanwhile, Lorne sneaks into the office, steals the parcel, and takes it to his "Sam & Max Collection" in the carnival funhouse. To make things worse, the parcel was sealed in a strongbox, and the Mad Thespian has the key. And he escaped from jail.

So Part I has three common goals, like most Lucasarts games:

1. Find Lorne with the parcel

2. Find the Mad Thespian

3. Find the key, because the Mad Thespian hid it somewhere, but this isn't apparent to the player until they've already caught him.

So whaddya guys think? If we can work out all the seams of Part I's plot, we can start working on PUZZLES! I want to have Lorne, the Geek, and Flint Paper in Part I, and have them all play major roles. I also want to have Sam and Max solve seemingly pointless puzzles for seemingly pointless goals, but those puzzles get you items or new rooms that get you closer to your main goal, as in DOTT.

I guess the whole flash game idea is not going to work out. But it seems logical to use AGS since there are more people familiar with it. However, if there are any people interested in creating a scumm-like flash game then please email me and establish ideas and tips on how to do so. Scumm-like games in flash are rare and in fact they are pretty much non-existant. I think it would be a great idea to start creating flash based scumm games because once it is done then it will get easier and easier to create them. Plus, Flash is compatible with both Mac and Ibm computers so there is no border line between Mac users and Ibm users. And from my opinion, I think it will revolutionize the scumm gaming community. Also, I will still be willing to participate in this game as a graphic artist. Just as long as we consider this as a fangame and not an official sequel. Also, I'd like to thank Brushguy for placing me on the list as a graphic artist. But if you guys want to create in AGS, then so be it. My dreams will be smashed and life as I know it will be miserable. Just Kidding. Click here to see a scumm game creator for flash. Too bad it is in German. http://Http://www.face-engine.com , check out the game derrick that is linked within the site, it is kind of hard to play for the fact that is in german. But it is a good example of scumm gaming in Flash. Ok I'll shut up now! WE NEED FLASH PROGRAMMERS. IF THERE ARE ANY FLASH PROGRAMMERS THEN PLEASE EMAIL ME OR BRUSHGUY! Peace!

@ Chron-O-John:

I know the capabilities of Flash, and it would be amazing, but right at this moment, AGS seems like a more logical move because no talented Flash programmers have stepped into this topic yet. If they do, I'll consider a Flash game immediately.

@ everybody else:

Just because your name isn't on "the list" doesn't mean you still can't be involved. I just picked out all the people who said previously in this topic that they wanted to help and seemed like they would (i.e. they posted more than once). Just say so and I'll add your name.

The demo's coming along fine. Hoping to get screenshots up soon...

StonerDave&Max, see my description of the plot for Part I a few posts back, and post here what you think would make the plot more Sam and Max-like. Also, graphic artists, post your stuff on this topic, like what tygerbug was doing.

Speaking of which, where is tygerbug? Anyway, here's the third revision to the credits list.

------------------

Graphic Artists

Brushguy

Chron-O-John

patheticloser37

tygerbug

AGS Programming

Brushguy

Story Writers

Brushguy

Maveric

StonerDave&Max

toenail1

Voice Acting

Brushguy

patheticloser37

tygerbug

*Still need somebody to write music*

Where's Tygerbug?

Hi! Didn't realize I was gone.

As for the sprites, I like tygerbug's idea of using the shows for sprites and backgrounds, and I do have a DVD of the episodes (so I could use ScreenThief and a DVD-ROM player on my PC) but it would be next-to-impossible and take lots and lots of time. You'd need back, side, and front animations of Sam, Max, etc. that loop and look like convincing animations. I think I can use the sprites from Hit the Road, I'll download tygerbug's ZIP tonite...

"Next to impossible and take lots and lots of time?"

Lots of time maybe, but next to impossible, surely not.

It would be ridiculously easy in fact to get good talking animations, as the TV series is completely full of them ... even full-figure ones. It would be easy to make them loop and be convincing.

You're right about the walking animations though. That would be tricky. I'd have to look through all the episodes and see if there are good walking animations from front/back/side.

But I lack the episodes. Only seen a few of them. Lucky to have them on DVD, you.

Um, where are you downloading the episodes?

A P2P network .... they're quite common on the Kazaalike networks.

Anyway, my sprite file should certainly be sufficient for a Hit the Road quality game.

I'd just hoped to do something cool and next generation. Hopefully we can still have a few next generation touches in the game.

I take it that since you're doing Sam, you're going to be imitating the Hit the Road Sam and not the TV show Sam, right?

Something like that, yeah. I'll send you tracks whenever you want/need them.

My lack of knowledge on the TV series means I don't know a lot of the characters you're talking about. Hm.

Hm.

Maybe look for more episodes, me.

And Brushguy -- dying to see the demo, or just some screenshots! Looking forward to it. Lemme know if you need anything from me.

Hey guys, I have a graphic of Max's head, I made it in adobe Illustrator. thought it would be great if I can get your opinions of it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to attach a file to this forum, or maybe its cause there is no possible way to attach files to this forum. If there is than let me know. But email me to see what it looks like, i think you guys would like this as an example for what the graphics of the fangame should look like.

Incidentally, I have the full version of the game lying around now and could rip any sprites you want from it.

Lots of lovely animations in there I'd forgotten about.

Or, those needing sprites, you could rip 'em yourselves ... look on google for "costume viewer" scumm and download the program Costume Viewer .... (there's also costume ripper, a DOS program I can't get to work) ... then go into your Sam and Max game files and find the file Samnmax.sm1 ... copy it to another directory, rename it Samnmax.001, and open it with Costume Viewer .... and all the animations you can find will be there.

A warning - save each "costume"/animation in a separate directory, as Costume Viewer saves each frame with a generic name (00-01.gif or something like that) and doesn't care about overwriting old files! If you're careless, you could easily save over all the great animations you've just stolen ...

In completely unrelated and off-topic news ...

Here's some rare Steve Purcell Sam & Max art!

dancingcactusmotelweb.jpg

This is a t-shirt I bought off of Steve Purcell at Comic Con. It's my favorite t-shirt ever ... a bit worn now, hence the odd quality of this scan (which I spent ages cleaning up) ....

For a Sam and Max shirt, it's very subtle and cool. I think.

Huge version if you wanna print your own.

http://orangecow.org/1media/dancingcactusmotel.jpg

Oops. I'm a bit late, but this project sounds quite intresting.

I'm intrested in helping, and I am fluent in the following programming languages:

1. AGS (easy ;) )
  2. SLUDGE (far superior to AGS - much more powerful and customizable.)
  3. Visual Basic
  4. Flash
  5. html
  6. php
    [/list=a]
    And I am learning:

1. MySQL
    2. 3D and openGL in C++

So yeah, if this is a 2D game I could easily do all the coding, and make you a really nice interface and good engine if you want.

And if it is 3D, give me a bit of time and I will have it all learnt and I can help you code the engine... and I have a load of free time, so I will get the work done well and on time.

And I _MIGHT_ be able to get some of the Day of the Aliens team to help, which includes:

[*]1 Background artist

[*]1 Character artist

[*]1 Manager, Programmer (me)

[*]2 Puzzle designers

[*]3 Dialogue writers

[*]1 Musician

[*]2 3d Modellers

[*]1 Website designer and coder

[*]A lot of voice actors

[/list=a]

who are all very talented or I wouldn't have hired them :p .

But my team or I will only help if this game is going to get off the ground, and if it shows some promise on the design front. I don't want good time to go to waste...

But anyway, want any help?

Hi James! I'd seen your site before, and you seem like a talented guy with a quality team. So, good to have you here.

To answer your questions -

I'm impressed with what's been done in SLUDGE by various programmers. I recognize that it's a powerful and nicely streamlined language.

The decision was made to work in AGS (as opposed to other programs and languages, including Flash), and I agree with it because most people can understand it with minimal training and no programming experience, and this is a group effort. We need many members of the team to be able to work on the project simultaneously - it takes a LOT of writing and work to make a full adventure game, and the best programmers aren't always the best writers. Any writer can write in AGS - its dialogue format is pretty much script format.

This is a 2d game, which will use 3d elements and 3d-based backgrounds. This is actually much in keeping with the original Hit the Road, which had some 3d elements but was a 2d game. However, the 3d elements will be more prominent in this game, according to Brushguy - we will have 2d character sprites, but it's probable that all backgrounds will be 3d rendered.

Regardless, no "proper" 3d needs to be done.

We could certainly use the following:

1) composer (midi and mp3)

2) background artists (3d with 2d additional work, or plain 2d)

3) character animators (additional characters)

4) additional voice actors

5) and very importantly - more writers and programmers.

The game IS getting off the ground. As we speak.

Our main discussion at the moment has to do with style and resolution.

I would love to see a fully-animated game, at 640 or 800 resolution, with sprites taken from, and animated in the style of, the Sam and Max cartoon series.

At the moment, the demo Brushguy is doing will probably have smaller "classic resolution" sprites ... he's using the classic Sam and Max Hit the Road sprites at the moment. Which are 320 sprites. Combined with carefully 3d rendered backgrounds and new animated elements.

I have to see exactly what style Brushguy is going for, but those are the two possible styles we would be going for.

My choice would be of course to go higher-res. Make this look like a modern, sleek game.

Either way, we need programmers, and we need writing, backgrounds, graphic artists, and a bigger team. The team seems to be growing, so all is well there. I have few doubts that this game will be completed.

Anyway, good to have you here - stick around, it's good times.

Well, I'm not advocating that people use copyrighted graphics and reproduce them on t-shirts, but I often make my own t-shirts with Cafepress.com.

Generally only with images I have the rights to, or have permission to use.

I'm lucky in that when I've wanted to make Monty Python/Rutles/Neil Innes t-shirts, I've actually been an official licensing designer for Monty Python or Neil Innes.

One of the few cool "jobs" I've ever had.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some examples of games I used to make a while back ... I used to work in Click & Create ... which is a very buggy, silly program, hard to make it do anything.

But here are two fun games I made in Click & Create. Not Lucasarts related, but enjoy anyway.

http://orangecow.org/games/evildead.zip

Game adaptation of the movie "Army of Darkness!" Shoot some guys, spout of one-liners, battle fearsome Deadites. HINT: Don't shoot the women! You'll die quick if you do. Carefully walk backwards or forwards to avoid them.

Some screen shots:

http://orangecow.org/games/evildeadgame2.gif

http://orangecow.org/games/evildeadgame0.gif

http://orangecow.org/games/evildeadgame1.gif

http://orangecow.org/games/evildeadgame3.gif

http://orangecow.org/games/evildeadgame4.gif

http://orangecow.org/games/evildeadgame5.gif

http://orangecow.org/games/evildeadgame7.gif

Orange Kowbat:

http://orangecow.org/games/kowbat.zip

2-player fighting game starring characters from movies I've made.

Screen shots:

http://orangecow.org/games/okhead.jpg

http://orangecow.org/games/kowbat10.jpg

http://orangecow.org/games/kowbat23.jpg

http://orangecow.org/games/kowbat6.jpg

I guess I've gone waaaay off topic here. Sorry folks. I'll stick to Sam & Max 2 talk from now on.

So this project definetly won't get a cease and decist letter?

And, if you want any cell shaded graphics, you['re in luck, because that is exactly what my 3D modellers are doing now - it looks really good with 2d people. But if you want plain 3D, that's still ok.

And I don't think you need to hire that many programmers. With my game, I often find that I am waiting for a background or a character sprite before I start programming. Because, I could probably code all the puzzles for a whole room in about 30 minutes.... but drawing a background takes a lot longer than that.

And also, I know from experience that if you want this to work well, you have to assign one head, who can chose to change whatever they want if they don't like it (I assume this head would be a_monkey). Then you have heads of the departmens, i.e. head of programming, head of art. These people aren't really 'above' the other ones, but they just make sure everyone is doing their work, but make sure when you hire them that they have had previous experience with it and know what is coming. And what happens is the overall head gives the head of department an overall schedule for everything (in some cases months), and then the head of department sorts out mini deadlines for each individual thing. And also, meetings every Saturday :p .

OK, I'm gonna go tryout AGS...

Do you have MSN messenger or Yahoo messenger? add me.

Pork Soda -- we're working in AGS, so we just need regular sprite graphics done in photoshop, saved as PCX or PNG. Don't worry about paletting at the moment. I would love to see sprites taken from episodes of the TV series.

James -- All the Day of the Tentacle/Monkey Island fangames got through without cease and desist orders from Lucasarts, so yeah, don't worry about that. If we were to get a cease and desist letter it would actually be a ray of hope that the proper Sam and Max 2 would be completed. Regardless, no worries.

Cel-shaded 3d would probably look good for backgrounds and moving 3d elements a la Hit the Road. Wouldn't mind seeing some of that.

>> And I don't think you need to hire that many programmers. With my game, I often find that I am waiting for a background or a character sprite before I start programming.

Ha! Ain't that always the truth. Oddly, I did a game a bit back where I had made a lot of backgrounds and just had no time to program. So it works both ways.

>>And also, I know from experience that if you want this to work well, you have to assign one head, who can chose to change whatever they want if they don't like it (I assume this head would be a_monkey). Then you have heads of the departmens, i.e. head of programming, head of art.

Don't know if a_monkey is still aboard - or ball-o-twine -- Brushguy has been more vocal these days. But at this point I know any of us could do anything to make the program work. Drawing, writing, programming, whatever. When more work has been done and the project is coming together it will be more clear who IS doing what. Anyone who wants head positions can nominate themselves, but things are nicely up in the air as the project begins, now.

Originally posted by tygerbug

All the Day of the Tentacle/Monkey Island fangames got through without cease and desist orders from Lucasarts, so yeah, don't worry about that. If we were to get a cease and desist letter it would actually be a ray of hope that the proper Sam and Max 2 would be completed. Regardless, no worries.

A lot of the projects do get cease and decist letters, those are just the ones you don't hear about :p .

I'll manage programming if you want. I have previous expirience, so yeah, I just make sure everything is getting done on time, and all the coding standards stay consistent.

Okay, I'll try to reply to everything that's happened since my last post.

It would be ridiculously easy in fact to get good talking animations, as the TV series is completely full of them ... even full-figure ones. It would be easy to make them loop and be convincing.

You're right about the walking animations though. That would be tricky. I'd have to look through all the episodes and see if there are good walking animations from front/back/side.

Earlier this afternoon, I set out to get the TV show Sam & Max sprites, armed with a DVD player and AT ScreenThief. The purpose of AT ScreenThief is to make a BMP image out of whatever is currently on the desktop. But for some reason, when I tell it to make a screenshot, with the DVD freeze-framed in one spot, all I get in the BMP image is a big black blob. Unless somebody else does it, I think I'll have to use the HTR sprites for the moment.

For a Sam and Max shirt, it's very subtle and cool. I think.

Very nice shirt. You're lucky and I'm a bit jealous. But on the other hand, I have a shirt and baseball cap that was supposed to promote the TV show, but never shipped to stores.

But my team or I will only help if this game is going to get off the ground, and if it shows some promise on the design front. I don't want good time to go to waste...

Great to have you here James, and your help, along with your team, will be much welcomed. We definitely need a music composer, puzzle designer, additional voice acting, and dialog writer, so if you'd be willing to lend some of your employees to this project, it'd be great. Put your stuff up here as soon as we start actually working on the plot instead of just sitting around making suggestions to each other. As for the quality, this is definitely looking promising. Screenshots will be up soon. :)

On a completely off-topic note, I made a Lucasarts fangame called "Day of the Alien" years before I came to these forums. You can download it through the link on my sig. :)

So this project definetly won't get a cease and decist letter?

If it does, we can all send another round of hate mail to Lucasarts, I'll quietly finish off the game, and distribute it on CDs through snail mail. ;)

And, if you want any cell shaded graphics, you['re in luck, because that is exactly what my 3D modellers are doing now - it looks really good with 2d people. But if you want plain 3D, that's still ok.

For the demo, I'll be handeling the backgrounds, but we have decided nothing for the final game. Put some examples up here and I'll look at 'em. :)

I'd gladly animate, I just need to know what program I'd have to use to do it.

Pork_Soda, like I said, I'll be doing the demo, but if you want to help with the full version, stick it up here and I'll take a look-see.

Don't know if a_monkey is still aboard - or ball-o-twine -- Brushguy has been more vocal these days. [...] Anyone who wants head positions can nominate themselves

I nominate myself for the time being, since I'm doing the demo. As for a_monkey and ball-o-twine, until they do another post, we can just be thankful that they brought the first breath to this topic...or something like that. I'd forget about them for now. :D

Oh - and lemme suggest a title for the project.

A title for the game is still in the air. Let's see, here are my suggestions...

Sam and Max & the Artificial Intestines

Sam and Max 2: You Can't Kill Them

Sam and Max 2: Mack Salmon's Revenge

Sam and Max: Day of the Fish

But don't let me stop you from coming up with your own! :)

As for this project getting done on time, I promise the final game will be done before 2004 is out. Game programming is my top-priority hobby, and I very rarely stop a game project that I'm making and just leave it unfinished.

-----------------------------------------

Graphic Artists / Animators

Brushguy

Chron-O-John

James Isaac & Day of the Alien Team

patheticloser37

Pork_Soda

tygerbug

AGS Programming

Brushguy

Story Writers

Brushguy