Home

Developers roundup: let's make our own unofficial game

a_monkey

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm learning C-Script right now, so if SLUDGE is any easier, it'll be a piece of cake for me to learn. If I get acquainted with SLUDGE, I'm gonna dump all of my AGS projects together and start over fresh with SLUDGE.

tygerbug, what's your e-mail address?

Here's what we should do about Lucasarts: carry on with our game. If they find out and e-mail one of us with a cease and desist letter, we'll just move the talking to private e-mail inboxes, and when it's done, one of us will send it via snail mail to the other developers.

Finally, I really really really think we should buckle down and start assembling plot and puzzles. I thought the unimportant thing in the plot should be a rubber duck since toenail1 suggested it.

About the backgrounds, I think we should hand-draw them or rip them from the TV show, since SnM2 didn't show many backgrounds while it was in production. I'll figure out some way to get TV show backgrounds, whether I need to find a screenshot taker myself or send a copy of the DVD to somebody else.

Also, earlier in this topic tygerbug suggested that to open the game, we use clips from the TV show sliding around the screen. I compiled such a beginning in a special animation maker program, but the export files are foreign to most computers, so is there any way to make mpeg or avi files from whatever is on the desktop?

Yes James Isaac, the other demos work for me, including the other SLUDGE demo. Also, my comp does indeed support those specs so I don't understand why it's happening. I also ran a virus/ad-ware scan just to see if anything was interferring...and I got nothing(although I didn't think I would anyway).

I liked what I saw from the other SLUDGE demo and it'd be sweet if I could see the other one. HELP ME!

I was wondering if this game could have multiple missions on it. I found it a bit of a cop-out only having one[cop-out. get it?]. Since we have 3 or so writers, im sure there will be diffrent ideas, but if id be too much work, we could just combine the ideas into one hybrid and hope it comes together.

Originally posted by StonerDaveN'Max

I was wondering if this game could have multiple missions on it. I found it a bit of a cop-out only having one[cop-out. get it?]. Since we have 3 or so writers, im sure there will be diffrent ideas, but if id be too much work, we could just combine the ideas into one hybrid and hope it comes together.

that would ruin the agme....

thats not even what adventures are about

>>tygerbug, what's your e-mail address?

ocpmovie at lycos dot com.

>>Here's what we should do about Lucasarts: carry on with our game. If they find out and e-mail one of us with a cease and desist letter, we'll just move the talking to private e-mail inboxes, and when it's done, one of us will send it via snail mail to the other developers.

Yes, please don't email them. They don't care anyway.

>> Finally, I really really really think we should buckle down and start assembling plot and puzzles. I thought the unimportant thing in the plot should be a rubber duck since toenail1 suggested it.

That can be the McGuffin rather than the interstines - otherwise your 3-part plot posted earlier was fine as a starting point, no problems there. Mack Salmon, Flint Paper, winding up in space, alien mental hospital with bizarre things happening as Sam and Max's minds are warped .... that's all fine.

I also, for some reason, would like Sam and Max to wind up backstage at a crooked, criminal-run game show early on. A title pops to mind - "Who Doesn't Want to be a Billionaire?" ... the game where rich people lose everything. Sam and Max pose as one of the contestants, and must answer questions just right to avoid the dire fate of being shaken down for everything they've got by a bunch of goons.

>>> About the backgrounds, I think we should hand-draw them or rip them from the TV show, since SnM2 didn't show many backgrounds while it was in production. I'll figure out some way to get TV show backgrounds, whether I need to find a screenshot taker myself or send a copy of the DVD to somebody else.

(cough cough) me

(cough) would like a copy

Screenshot taking programs that can capture DVD screenshots are plentiful and easy to find. Look online. Google it, and try several until you find one that works the way you want it to.

>> Also, earlier in this topic tygerbug suggested that to open the game, we use clips from the TV show sliding around the screen. I compiled such a beginning in a special animation maker program, but the export files are foreign to most computers, so is there any way to make mpeg or avi files from whatever is on the desktop?

What format is it in?

I believe there are programs that will capture video files of what's on the desktop, which you can then edit in a program like Premiere and export. Just look on the web - they're called screen capture programs, but they will mention being able to capture video.

When compiling animations in the future, you should probably use Adobe Premiere.

tygerbug - that would ruin the agme.... thats not even what adventures are about

Oh yeah, me forgot.

Anyways, I have some of the old cartoons on my computer, and if we were to use them, we would have to probably check it out with the owners of the cartoons (look at me trying not to get banned. Hi Skinkie). I assume that clips could be used, but since we want this to be original, it would really limit us on what we could use.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Im almost done with the first part of how I would see the game starting, but keep in mind when I get it done, im not pushing for this to be what happens, just something id like to see.

@ tygerbug:

I'll google for a screen-capturing program other than AT ScreenThief and I'll get back to you guys.

Also, the animation program for the opening that I'm using is Games Factory, with .gam files. SLUDGE and Games Factory files don't mix, so I need some way to export the desktop to a movie. It only took me a few minutes to compile the video clips sliding across the screen in different directions to the tune of the TV show theme song. Does Adobe Premiere cost money and how flexible is it? Can you embed background music into the movie files?

I also, for some reason, would like Sam and Max to wind up backstage at a crooked, criminal-run game show early on. A title pops to mind - "Who Doesn't Want to be a Billionaire?" ... the game where rich people lose everything. Sam and Max pose as one of the contestants, and must answer questions just right to avoid the dire fate of being shaken down for everything they've got by a bunch of goons.

LIKE IT LIKE IT!!! And if SLUDGE can do dialogs, we can have them go through questions via dialog trees, i.e. host asks a question, 4 options come up, 1 choice is correct, etc.

@StonerDave&Max:

Looking forward to see the plot you're cooking up.

Jamming everybody's separate plots together into an incoherent story would definitely ruin the game. Adventure games are all about story and plot development, with puzzles to keep it interactive. However, since this is a group project, we may be able to thread everybody's plot ideas into a coherent seamless storyline, but not jumbled together.

For instance, take some of my ideas, some of tygerbug's, some of yours, some of James', etc., and put in a clencher (that's how you spell it, right?) that holds all the ideas together.

Anyway, looking forward to your plot, and other plots from other team members.

In my writing class, the part of the story that holds the whole plot together is called "the clencher."

What I meant was some central thing for the plot that would hold all of our ideas together.

"Clencher" is a real word, isn't it?

Adobe Premiere does cost money. You should be able to find it via P2P file sharing programs, however. I have on several occasions.

It is a professional video editing and exporting program. Very standard, and immensely full of features, you can do whatever you want with it. It's what most people use to edit video, for VHS or for the web. (Otherwise Final Cut Pro or Avid.)

Otherwise, send the DVD to me.

Chron-O-John, that's a nice game, but we decided to use SLUDGE (after switching off of AGS) instead of Flash because:

a) No talented Flash programmers have stepped up yet

b) SLUDGE is much easier to work with than Flash, and built specifically for adventure games, so additional Flash programming to assemble a SCUMM game would be required

Don't get me wrong - Flash is really cool, but SLUDGE seems to be the right tool for this project.

here is my little script idea, hope you like it

Symbols

### not known yet

*...* Action

**...** Note

NAME - who is talking

~...~ whispering/muttering

THE OFFICE

*sam and max Enters*

*Phone Rings*

*Regular chase*

*Max stops midway*

*Sam about to pick up the phone stops turns and walks toward him*

MAX - "what happend to the race to answer it?"

SAM - *slowly moving toward phone*"I figure theres no point. im small, meek, and predictable in my actions. you can get it"

MAX - "Well, i see your point but..."

*Max dashes for the phone*

*Sam pulls out golf ball retriever with jesse james severed hand holding magnet out of coat, grabs the phone*

*Sam covering phone mouthpiece* "Some things you never get rid of"

SAM - "Yes.. Yes.. And then? no.. NO! okay, well get right on it"

MAX - "What did the commisiner want?"

SAM - "Circus peanuts"

MAX - "did he say anything about a case?"

SAM - "Oddly enough, no"

MAX - "well then, what are we supposed to get right on?"

SAM - "They have a new 25 cent mechanical ferret that you can ride outside of stucky's"

MAX - "OOh! lets hurry before it loses that factory fresh burning oil smell"

SAM -"Your an adorable little hellraiser max"

**if phone is used again, it disconnects due to the magnet**

The HALLWAY

*Max rushing for the steps* "Hurry Sam!"

SAM - "Wait, somethings not right here"

MAX - "I know, we have a chance to ride the ferret and you taking you ever-precious time"

SAM - "No, it seems rather quiet over at flint papers"

MAX - "Yeah, i guess we could take a quick look-see, a really quick one"

SAM - "Lets"

SAM - *opens door*

SAM - "WOW!! completely empty. Usually Friday is the days when they get to interrogate the illaterate eye wittness that doesnt say a thing, and gets the everloving teeth pistol whipped outta his mouth"

MAX - "What a life they live"

MAX - "Hmm... theres a note on the table"

SAM - "Way to point out the obvious max"

SAM - "the note reads, "Were gone, we wont back for a while" "

SAM - "i smell something fishy"

MAX - "probably that golf ball retrever from gator golf ~cheater~"

SAM - "alls fair in love and phonecalls"

MAX - "please dont change old sayings in such a clicheic fashion"

SAM - "can do"

Outside

*Little girl pacing back and forth*

SAM - "Excuse me little girl, but you wouldnt happen to see several gruff looking men from flint papers around, have you"

LITTLE GIRL -"First off, my name isnt "little girl," Its billie Jean. Second off, if you can help find my dolly, i can help you"

MAX - "Jeez sam, seems like someones just asking for the thrashing of a lifetime"

SAM - "Max, this is a little girl, ya know"

MAX - "I see that, but its little things like helping others so they can help you that seems to get us into some huge runaround mission"

SAM - "Ive noticed"

SAM - "Ok Ms. Jean, we will help find your dolly"

BILLIE - "Well then, get to it dorkfaces"

*Max sticks his tounge out*

SAM - "Act your age"

**if you use max on little girl, he starts singing chorus to "Billie Jean" until the little girl slaps him **

**when you ask the girl what the doll looks like, she gives a detailed description and the doll has black hair**

Stucky's

**in one section is cheapy dolls, one looks exactly like the doll as decribed, but blonde hair**

**outside is the new ferret ride, no money for it, get max to kick it, money comes out to buy doll with**

**on the right side of the building is graffiti that reads "HI", underneath it is black spraypaint**

**combine spraypaint with doll**

outside revisited

**Hand girl Doll**

BILLIE - "Wowwies! thanks a lot sam and max! hmm... whats that acrid smell"

MAX - "happiness"

SAM - "So what do you know about Flint papers?"

BILLIE - "I saw ### taking them away, and one guy shouted to another "Call 733-5931, you can get some help there," and then that guy just laughed"

MAX - "Wow, Did i miss the punchline?"

SAM - "Uh-oh, sounds like someone/something has some kind of beef with flint"

MAX - "Is it Rump roast?"

SAM - "It may be mince if we dont get to the bottom of this soon"

**Go right of the building, payphone is missing the cord**

**On the left side of the building is a bike, with the cord tying it to a pole, take cord**

**connect cord to phone, call up the number**

**once sam finishes talking, max asks what the help was, it was the head writers mom**

FLINT PAPER Head Writers MOM

MAX - "Are you sure this is the right place Sam?"

*Gunshots*

SAM - "Yep"

===END OF MY IDEAS===

Originally posted by Ellio7t

will this be avalible for mac? Or are you going to be like Lucas Arts and deny a portion of fans your product?

Believe me it will see a hard time just making it to PC. And there is no way that they will make a mac port sorry. But they game may be bad so you may be lucky that you won't get to play it

Nice plot StonerDave&Max. :) Very Sam and Max-y. I was about to ask why couldn't they just go back up to their office to call the girl's phone number, but then I recalled that Sam accidentally shut it down with the magnet. :D I also liked the puzzles.

Hopefully we'll be able to use some of that stuff in the full game.

HELLO...

Just posting to say that I wasn't dead. And I haven't read up yet, so i don't know what's going on... and I'm feeling lazy today, so I don't think i will... but if one of you lovely people could fill me in in 20 words or less, that would be great.:D

Originally posted by Krazy

See they even ignored you post about a Mac version......

Im not one to upset easily, but if you dont like what were doing, you dont have to be a whiny little emo-self-pitty kid about it. If you really don't like what were doing, you dont have to complain about it, you could just keep it to yourself.

@Brushguy - Im glad you like it, but was it funny enough, or was the humor too dry? I kinda went along at some points, and did'nt want to go back to change some things that sounded bad later.

@Anyone(except Krazy) - Did you find anything you did'nt like in my script, anything you would have liked to see, or completely hated or loved it? Id love to hear all inputs.

Archived