Home

Developers roundup: let's make our own unofficial game

a_monkey

In my response to literature class we discussed how a title of a work must bring together and put meaning to a work. Don't title it before you write it. A good title will occur naturally from the text, not the other way around.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, woxel1 returns all in the course of several hours. Maybe I'm totally out of my element for what I'm about to suggest, but I thought it was "profound" so bear with me. Here’s my concept for the fangame’s plot:

Sam & Max return from vacation to find that they have been reported dead. In addition, they have been logically stripped of their license to fight crime. Even though they have never been officially recognized by the state, they go on a worldwide search (yes, worldwide - as opposed to just statewide) to find out the details of the ensuing coverup. This search will take them to many exotic locals, so exotic that I am too lazy to think of any now. To make a long story short, Mack Salmon has orchestrated a cataclysmic chain of events effecting every magnetic spot in the world (Stonehenge? Mystery Spot?) from a Moon Base to cause the melting of the ice caps so that he will be master of his new Oceanic Empire.

Any thoughts?

How about reading the posts, you will see i know quite a bit

Dave, I was joking.

And woxel1 that sounds like a good plot, but from what you offered it sounds a bit too serious (but then again Monkeys Violating the Heavenly Temple had a somewhat serious plot and it was great.)

@woxel1: I like your plot. Maybe we can fit certain pieces of it into the plot. The beginning of it is somewhat reminiscent of EMI... ;)

Hmm, since we don't seem to be talking about anything else, let's see if I can bring all plot elements proposed so far together to make a coherent story...

----------------------

Sam and Max are on the case of a missing rubber duck. At the beginning of the game, they're wrapping it up (like HTR, but this time it's interactive). This case, I think, should be solved with locked-in-a-room puzzles, because those are a great start off for adventure games. Upon getting the rubber duck, returning it, and going home, they find Flint Paper missing and themselves declared dead. After going all over the world, they finally find Mack Salmon's underground base, where his master plot is revealed.

Mack Salmon kidnapped Flint Paper to lure Sam and Max there. Mack Salmon announced that Sam and Max were dead (and explained how they died) so that nobody would look for them after he killed them. He launches Flint off in a rocket for an outer space planet where he can't get back, and sets his cronies to kill Sam and Max. If he does, then all possible people who could stop his plot (to melt the polar icecaps and create an aquatic empire for himself) will be out of the way.

After succeeding at desposing of Mack Salmon and his army, Sam and Max launch the DeSoto off for outer space to get Flint Paper back!

----------------------

Also, I posted on thedaemon's forums for our game! Looks pretty slick, though the gray theme is hard on my eyes, and it needs customizing.

Locked in a room? eek you could do something more like MI4 where it isn't a locked in a room puzzel but just a small puzzel at the begining. Like maybe the rubber ducky is in a high place and they need to knock a hanging beam which will hit the duck and it will fall down or something.

I'm posting in your forums, thedaemon. And as for the locked-in-a-room idea for the beginning, I was thinking of CMI when I said that. :rolleyes: Knocking the duck off of a really high shelf would be good.

And much earlier, we decided that the Rubber Pants Commandos would make a guest appearance in Mack Salmon's base to save Sam and Max from the cronies of Mack Salmon.

As for Ratzo and the octopi gang, maybe we could put it into Part 1 if Sam and Max visit an underwater area or something. We decided Part 1 would be all over the world, there's no reason why we can't fit an underwater level in there!

Anyway, GO TO OUR NEW FORUMS INSTEAD OF POSTING HERE!!

Originally posted by Brushguy

@woxel1: I like your plot. Maybe we can fit certain pieces of it into the plot. The beginning of it is somewhat reminiscent of EMI... ;)

Eheheh. Funny you say that. EMI is the only Monkey Island game I haven't played, and when I told a friend of mine my idea for S&M he said that is was similar, so whoops. But it could still work in a sort of homage-y way.... ha ha ha

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading your posts for quite some time now. So I am going to offer my services. I can do the following for you:

1. Work with C++, Java, and Visual Basic

2. I can voice act

3. I am willing to do grunt work like Pork_Soda

4. I can write scripts, help with the story board, or whatever.

5. I am willing to look up all the legal stuff about Fan Based games.

6. I am going to find Steve and ask for his backing (and give him a link to this site).

7. And finally I am willing to learn new programming codes to help out.

Just one last thing: someone said we should either do a shooter and/or adventure. Why not try to incorporate both? And have times where they need to fire away and others where they need to solve clues.

If any of you need to send me a request or information contact me at: deathbymintyfreshness@yahoo.com

Thank you,

-DBMF

DBMF:

Please post at http://thedaemonofid.com/phpBB2/ This is where all discussion of the Sam and Max 2 fangame is. If you could look up some stuff about legal issues with fangames, that'd be great in case we get a cease and desist letter. Also, get Steve's backing if possible. Dunno if we need any more story writers. We always need voice actors ready for when we do that part. Anything you can lend to the project will be appreciated. :)

Once again, go here.

http://thedaemonofid.com/phpBB2/

Archived