Home

Developers roundup: let's make our own unofficial game

a_monkey

Alright, here's the team (so far. I can add somebody else but only if they're willing to work on it):

Brushguy

James Isaac

Look_down

Pork_Soda

StonerDaveN'Max

toenail1

tygerbug

@thedaemon: If you could get a site host and a private forum for us members, that'd be sweet. :)

And James Isaac is right. We all need to buckle down and do serious work on the game and stop chatting. I think we should:

1. Write the script

2. Do backgrounds

3. Write the music

4. Program it into SLUDGE

5. Record voices

6. Finish it off

and keep it to that. So if you want to do backgrounds, do that when we move on to Step 2. If you want to write music, let us know during Step 3, and so on. Right now, let's get the whole outline of the story down, everything nailed in place, and then we can start working on jokes, puzzles, etc.

Until we get a private forum let's keep serious discussions here.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree wit ya Brushguy

we should start movin and stick to a schedual and try finish one thing at a time before we start moving to the next one lets get the script and idea's down first (can someone send me a copy of wat ya's got so far cheers) :p

Since we're focusing on the story right now, let's map out every location we've proposed so far:

-Sam and Max's office

-Flint Paper's neighboring office

-Outside area

-Really Bad Food, near their office (proposed by me in the AGS demo)

-Ma & Pa's Grocery and Stick'em'Up Emporium (proposed by me just now, appeared in the Sam and Max road trip comic in 1989)

-Who Doesn't Want to Be a Billionaire? (proposed by tygerbug)

-Club Lagomorph (named after the MP3 by woxel1)

-Snuckey U (proposed by Ooshmaster)

This is a good start, but we need a few more. Of course, if anybody still liked my three-part storyline idea (1. USA, 2. Mack Salmon's base, 3. outer space) we could use the locations I had in that:

-Mack Salmon's underground base for Part 2

-Outer space

-Green Mama's (from the cancelled game ;) )

-The Moon (tygerbug and I thought crashing on the moon with puzzles to fix the DeSoto would be a good idea)

-Twisted Mental Hospital on another planet (also by tygerbug and me)

Whaddya think? Of course, following StonerDaveN'Max's idea, Flint Paper could be kidnapped by Mack Salmon for some reason, and that leads them to outer space. Haven't figured out everything just yet though. Maybe Mack Salmon could escape his base in an escape ship, along with Flint, and blast off for outer space, with Sam and Max in hot pursuit.

We also need a title.

Okay okay, this is a lot to work with, so i'll try to kick off my ideas to pull some of this together.

First off, If Mack Salmon is going to want revenge on Flint, I suggest something like they were pressing him for information about his past that he would'nt give, and learned somehow that back in college, he roomed with some beta fish that picked on him for fin rot and always having algae crusted on the inside his bowl, and was a total wuss, which made him bitter and later caused him to become evil and powerful. When Flint released that information, he fell back into his old position of a filthy wuss again due to people laughing without fear and having almost no goons anymore, destroyed his self esteem, so he was bent on revenge, and got the loyal goons that were still with him to throw Flint in a rocketship, and blast them off to the moon.

Thats the best i can do off the top of my head, but ill put some good thought into it tomorrow.

For titles, I have put a little thought in, and came up with two.

Sam & Max: Our Newest Case Ever

Sam & Max: Another Fishy Case

Not too good, but maybe it might spark something creative for someone else.

Since Im very wore down today, Im going to just stop there, and put in some work tomorrow when all our scriptwriters have put in their input.

@ Look_Down - Thanks for the forum, that may be just what we need! And those were pretty good MIDIs.

Lastly, if there are any ideas that someone does'nt like, then dont be afrad to speak up, because some people may see what others miss. I havent caught anything like that, but there are some ideas that I think should be included if it would work, such as Green Mamas, but not forced in. I love the idea, but if it did'nt go along with what we were doing, then it should'nt be cramming it in and risk messing up a small portion [so lets hope that it will fit :)].

End

Dave in your script you said Sam uses the Severed hand holding the magnet to get the phone. Sorry to break the shocking news to you but most phones are made of plastic so I don't see what a magnet would do.

I just tried chapter 1 of GMI Brushguy. I think it was very clever and shows talent . The drawings were good but those white dots everywhere iritated me to no extent.

Thanks Krazy. I know, when I scan the hand-drawn papers into the computer, a lot of different shades of white pixels get in there, making it difficult to fill every area of the picture in with one solid color. Hope you'll try the other 5 parts. Part 1 is just a warm-up.

Oh, and thedaemon did the forum, not Look_down.

And Dave, if it's all right to call you that, I get tired of typing the long name, all that stuff about Mack Salmon and outer space that I said was proposed by me much earlier in this topic.

Also, I think Sam and Max somehow unknowingly caused Mack Salmon to become part-fish part-man(according to the comics), but then we still need a reason for Flint being taken by Mack. Oh wait! Mack Salmon could kidnap Flint, because he knows it would lure Sam and Max out. If he could get Sam and Max out, then he could enact revenge on them. At the end of Part 2, he sends Flint off in a ship to outer space because he no longer has a need for him now that he has Sam and Max. So at the end of Part 2, you must defeat Mack Salmon to avoid being getting killed, and then in Part 3, chase after Flint's ship, which could be on a crash course for some hostile planet.

How's that? :)

Originally posted by Brushguy

And Dave, if it's all right to call you that, I get tired of typing the long name, all that stuff about Mack Salmon and outer space that I said was proposed by me much earlier in this topic.

Also, I think Sam and Max somehow unknowingly caused Mack Salmon to become part-fish part-man(according to the comics), but then we still need a reason for Flint being taken by Mack. Oh wait! Mack Salmon could kidnap Flint, because he knows it would lure Sam and Max out. If he could get Sam and Max out, then he could enact revenge on them. At the end of Part 2, he sends Flint off in a ship to outer space because he no longer has a need for him now that he has Sam and Max. So at the end of Part 2, you must defeat Mack Salmon to avoid being getting killed, and then in Part 3, chase after Flint's ship, which could be on a crash course for some hostile planet.

How's that? :)

PERFECTO! a little cliched[if thats spelled right], but yet exactly what would work! Since I used to live in a ghetto type city, I only got to buy a few of the comics, and that was at a comic fair that came around annualy, so you may have to fill me in on a little bit of information like that.

Though a question I need to ask is, Does it have to take place on one planet, or could it have about a couple to several locations?

The only part I am worrying about is defeating him by avoiding getting killed. It seems there would be problems handling the two characters in the bout, but im sure it would be easy to fix like putting max on sam's shoulders, or just sam running.

All in all, it seems pretty much flawless to fit in everything anyone wants now! So now all we need to do is start thinking if we are going to start off with what i wrote, or come up with something original. Its probably best to use a few ideas that i had, but basically go from the beginning.

By the way, Dave is actually preferred since the stoner part gives off the impression that im a... well, stoner. And could you give an input if we should use our new forum, e-mail, or the AIM chat room i could set up? I believed that there was another one, but i cant recall it.

Now I have to go look at a Mercury Cougar to see if im going to buy it, so I will check back later:) .

Edit: Not that it matters now, but there is metal inside of a phone, and I dont believe that there is any machienery that operates by plastic parts.

Thanks Krazy. I know, when I scan the hand-drawn papers into the computer, a lot of different shades of white pixels get in there, making it difficult to fill every area of the picture in with one solid color.

I have an idea. Go over the pictures with a dark pen or marker. THen when you scan them scan it as black and white then you can easily colour it and will only have one shade of black and one shade of white.

@ Krazy: What I meant is, that the white parts, when scanned, come out to be several shades of white on the computer, since we don't live in a 256-color world. Anyway, I'd like to end this pointless argument and get back on topic.

@ StonerDaveN'Max: How about I abbreviate you to SDnM? If you don't like it, just say so. Anyway, I think the only part of my story that you had to read the comics to understand is the part about Sam and Max causing Mack Salmon's accident (try to spell Mack Salmon's name like it's said. You will be shocked :eek: ). Even in the comic it's not fully explained...

Sam: I don't recognize your face, Mr. Mack Salmon. And you seem kind of irritable. Does it have anything to do with this glass head business?

Mack Salmon: YOU are responsible for my appearance! YOU set in motion the horrible events leading to the turn of fate which resulted in the twist of destiny creating the grisly countenance you see before you!

Max: How'd he get that way, Sam?

Sam: Some kind of boating mishap, I'm guessing.

Max: Are you really alive in there, or is Thing One a ventriloquist? What's this fake body made of?

Mack Salmon: You're both going to suffer for what you've done!

Max: How often do you clean this water?

I thought about us fans explaining in the fangame how Sam and Max caused the accident, but I think that's a job that only Steve Purcell can figure out.

Anyway, I had several planets in mind when I told my story idea for Part III. Maybe the Moon, Green Mama's, the mental hospital, and a few others. I originally wanted Flint's ship to be on a crash course with the Sun, but Earth is so close to the Sun that Sam & Max probably couldn't do anything in time.

And your story is a terrific jumping-off point for our game plot discussion. Let's start there.

And finally, let's use thedaemon's forum since he was nice enough to set it up for us.

http://thedaemonofid.com/phpBB2/

Originally posted by StonerDaveN'Max

I dont have much time, so ill make this quick.

I still cant figure out the message his name gives out unless its "Max's Salamon"

We talking about Mack Salmon here? Look at it this way

Sam N Max

Salmon, Mack

Now read it quickly, see if you get it.

@ Krazy: What I meant is, that the white parts, when scanned, come out to be several shades of white on the computer

Nononono that isn't what I meant. I understand why the white bits are there but you're not listening to my advice properly. When you go to scan it you can say how how many colours to scan. If you tell it to just scan black and white only the black bits will show up and there will be no other shades of white. I'm trying to help you. Look at this pic I scanned: http://www.sunfungames.50megs.com/stick.html I scanned that with the method I said and there were no other shades of white.

@ Krazy: I get it now. Sorry, didn't understand before. :) I didn't know that at the time of making my fangame. :rolleyes:

@SDnM: Here are some titles I thought up for the game.

Sam and Max: Beyond Good and Ugly (my personal favorite)

Sam and Max: The World Is Not 'Nuff (hence going into outer space)

Sam and Max: Day of the Sturgeon (DOTT parody)

Sam and Max: Mack Salmon's Revenge (MI2 parody)

mm think everyone got ur point Brushguyx5 lol

:p am i the only one usein thedaemon's forum?? i've made 3 game songs so far still workin on game idea's and stuff...

liked the title" Sam and Max: Beyond Good and Ugly" but still doesnt have that smack bang affect wen u read it u know its gunna be good keep workin on it :p

We need all the help we can get, and we also need a music composer. woxel1 had a nice MP3 (Club Lagomorph) a few pages back, but he doesn't seem interested in this anymore. So, put up some music and let us hear what it sounds like.

Hey, Mr. (Lowpost) Woxel1 back. I am really interested in your Sam and Max fangame (despite the commentary of certain nay-sayers), but having the Awesome Responsibility of running a website <plug>http://www.penguinbros.com</plug>, I couldn't find the time to actively work on the game (and check these boards :p).

Hoooooowever, if you need songs in the Spirit of Sam and Max for any reason, I would be more than happy to contribute.

Keep up the good work! Or don't! I dunno!

Gee, I'm sorry guys. I only hit the "Post" button once. Musta been some weird forum glitch, or my computer, or my modem. Oh well. Anyway, I deleted the extra accidental posts.

Hey woxel1, glad to see you're still around. If you're not too busy, here's our list of locations that could have music:

Sam and Max's Office (and outside)

Geek's Lab

Really Bad Food

Ma and Pa's Grocery & Stick'em'up Emporium

Club Lagomorph :)

Who Doesn't Want to Be a Billionaire?

Snuckey-U

Mack Salmon's Underground Base

The Moon

Green Mama's

Mental Hospital On Another Planet

...but don't feel like you have to write music for all the spots in the game. An MP3 here and there would be nice.

Also, I'd like to hear look_down's midis as soon as possible.

Originally posted by Dr Edison 007

You never heard of Mack Salmon, the fishbowl headed arch-nemesis of Sam & Max?

Shame on you.

How about reading the posts, you will see i know quite a bit

@Brushguy: if we pick from those, go with the first or second title.

Just a sidenote, I got the sam and max comic book "Bad day on the moon" today, im sure that will provied me with some ideas and information

@Woxel1: ive actually heard of penguin bros.. i cant remember what it was i saw, but i know i liked it.

im not in much of a mood for being much help today or at this moment, so im not really posting anything.

Archived