Home

Community Cooperation

razorace

That's great.

However, at the moment I could really use some help doing a bunch of ICARUS scripting modification. The process is easy and the changes are minor. The only reason why I need assistance is because we're going to have to make these changes to each camera script in the game. BTW, this is for the CoOp mode.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you Know Razor, there are still people willing to help out in various ways.

keshire: Razor is more than willing to accomadate people

keshire: And if not I'll make him

{JC}Unique1{JM}: hahaha.. you cant make razor do anything, even when its in his best interrest he always likes to believe hes right

keshire: But thats not really what I'm concerned with. Just posting on the OJP boards on what needs to be done would be helpful. And then if its inline with your own plans then do it

{JC}Unique1{JM}: razor has access to the aotc cvs and ive told him he can use my work

keshire: Well ok. I'll take your word for it

keshire says:

I DON'T scratch his back if its not in OJP code, BUT, I pretty much expect the same from you

keshire says:

some implemtations should be given to Razor, Its the onyl right thing to do

Richie says:

yeah no problem. WHatever Razor wants, Razor can have

keshire says:

You might want to offer it to him before he drops OJP all together, It's pretty obvious that thats whats coming next

Richie says:

the only issue I would have isn't giving this stuff out, it's the time taken personally to merge stuff into the OJP code.. well - ok - I'll talk to him and try and work something out..

keshire says:

OJP is a great boon to the community. And if it weren't for razor animation wouldn't be happening right now

Richie says:

yeah -I undertstand that. I will talk to him. But let me explain something here.. I've talked to Razor about using MB stuff in OJP before a lot of the MB stuff is class-based right?

keshire says:

Yes I understand that some won't mesh

Richie says:

Mand rockets, SBD, Arc trooper etc. for me to give any code to OJP which makes sense, I have to code in a complete class system to OJP?! Which undoubelty - once I was done - he'd go 'Oh actually - no - II wasn't imagining quite that..' so while I'm more than ready to contribute what I can, it's not actually an easy task.. it would take a substantial chunk of my time to do so

keshire says:

But I'm not asking for a miracle here just some cooperation to benefit everyone

Richie says:

well - like I said, I'll talk to him

keshire says:

Thats all I ask

Richie says:

but to be fair, he's not the esiest man to talk to soimetimes. Miight help if your in the conv. too Kesh

Richie says:

Because I understand totally what your saying

keshire says:

Sure anytime we're all on at once feel free to drag me in

Richie says:

OJP deserves to have stuff. And if it wasn't gonna be such a ball-ache, I'd freely give it

keshire says:

I completely understand

Richie says:

heh - ok you gonna include the bit about Razor being 'not the easiest man to speak to sometimes' bit

keshire says:

Yep, from both sides.

But we all still love you Razor :D

Thanks for trying to drum up support Keshire, but I don't think anything is going to happen. When it comes down to it, you and me have done 98% of the submissions and merging work.

Not that's a bad thing, it's just contary to the original purpose of OJP.

People aren't willing to put forth the effort get access to the OJP code and then either use it or submit material. There's some things we can probably do to improve things but I don't think anyone is interested anymore.

Hell, people don't even go to the effort of posting to let anyone else know what they're working on.

Frankly, I'm not going to manually merge code anymore since it literally requires me to learn the submission's code and then do the merging. When I do that, it practically means I could have just done the code myself and not have to worry about credit issues or the whining.

Secondly, whenever I go to the effort of actually packaging things up for the public, I just get more complaining and/or "requests" and no support in terms of real help or server support.

As a open ended development platform, OJP is a failure. People just aren't willing to get involved.

As a project for my personal enjoyment, it's done well. However, as a personal project, it relies solely on me for it's existance.

As for individual complains:

Phunk: I don't have a problem with a player class system being implimented for OJP. However, you said yourself that your system doesn't work outside of the customized Siege gametype.

If you're actually interested in doing the work, I'd have no problem with you implimenting all your MB stuff as a seperate gametype for OJP.

However, unless you're willing to discuss the player class system as a group and impliment the group's compromise, you shouldn't expect it to be universally applied to OJP.

Unique: OJP isn't set up as a staff pool for your RPG gametype. I know you're really stoked about it but I'm just not interested. You're free to work on it and even work it as a new gametype for OJP. However, I'm not going to be doing the dirty work for such a gametype.

Well - my only (small) complaint was that your not the easiest man to talk to sometimes ;)

...the rest of it was just explaining to Keshire why OJP doesn't contain half my code right now. It's not because I dont' want to give it out to OJP, it's just the time and effort involved.

...I'm not complaining about it - just trying to explain the situation - and make it clear I haven't given it out because I just want to hoard it for myself...

Phunk: I don't have a problem with a player class system being implimented for OJP. However, you said yourself that your system doesn't work outside of the customized Siege gametype.

It doesn't work outside of the Siege gametype in MB. But it wouldn't be 'that' much work to get the basic stuff out of Siege and into whatever gametype you like (FFA, TFFA etc.).

I think the biggest chunk of work involved would be getting the OJP-specific class system in place. (New menus etc.)

SO yes - we'd need to talk through what kind of class system you'd want in OJP.

...would you want models limiting for classes? Would you want it to be hard-coded, or defined by the model files?

What class do you want? Would you want just a copy of MB classes? Or would you want your own? If your trying to make these classes for normal FFA / TFFA modes, then you can't really just copy my MB classes, cos the balance woudl all be screwed. This would need to be thought about from the ground up, rebalancing everything...

And -to be fair - I have enough on my plate as it is. I really don't want to be coding in and planning from scratch a whole new class system for OJP. ..there - I said it. Is that selfish of me? No - I dont' really think so. I dont' even know if a class system is wanted in OJP. Am I even sure my work is going to be used?!

SO yes - these are the kinds of things we woudl definatly need to talk through. If some kind of arrangement can be worked out, and I think it's worth-while doing, then sure. I would be willing to put effort in to get this done... (within reason)

However, unless you're willing to discuss the player class system as a group and impliment the group's compromise, you shouldn't expect it to be universally applied to OJP.

FOr sure. I agree. It has to be what OJP wants to happen - not what I want to happen. This was kind of my point above - I understand this.

Tell ya what - I'll start a new thread concerning a class-based system for OJP. And ask people what they woudl expect from it.

...I'll also make a prediction. Their not gonna want an MB clone. Their gonna want something new. Something different. Something which would need some quality time dedicated to it

Now, if you were willing to work with me, maybe we can achieve this. Meshing the work I've already done / still doing with your own.

I think the best way to approach it personally - is if you could come up with at least the most basic class system to begin with. ALl I would need is a variable in the client data structure which told me what class this client is.

ANd then you could just request things of me.

'Could we have class X firing backpack rockets? And flamethrowing?'

'Could we have class Y having SBD stuff?'

...etc. etc.

Then I could add this stuff fairly easiely to your code. Just filling in the blanks you left for me.

...you can then go in - tweak anything you don't think works quite how you like etc.etc.

In this way, you end up with the system your looking for with a lot less effort...

...maybe something like this..?

Archived