Home

Basic Brainstorming: Siege Jetpack

OB1 KNOB

I don't know what other people think about it, but I found the jetpack in the Tatooine siege map (used by Boba Fett, Scout class) rather difficult to control. Unless I'm missing something as far as the controls go, it's really hard to go down with the jetpack and the controls aren't very responsive. Most of the time I end up bouncing off walls and falling great heights once I turn it off. :confused:

I don't know if it was made like that intentionally for balance purposes (if it was someone can let me know) but it seems like it should function better.

Being able to change directions faster and not bounce off the walls would be nice. Currently it needs to be shut off manually, maybe it should shut off once you set your feet down on a surface. Now you just keep gliding around on top of the floor. :rolleyes:

Anyone who hasn't tested it, can by starting a Siege game on your own computer and manually adding a bot by bringing down the console ( shift ~ ) and typing "addbot tavion" (minus the quotes).

I know the Siege trick has been mentioned before, but I put it here for those that may not have already known.

P.S. I haven't played Siege with humans but hope too once I can get a home network setup, so if a more functional jetpack would make it way unbalanced I apologize for the post. :p

When I press crouch the camera just seems to jerk down (which on a side note is also a little weird and annoying because Boba's body isn't actually moving or anything. So if crouch does make you go down and you were to try any complex flight movement by pressing jump and crouch to alternate going up and down you would get a rather disorienting camera movement).

It may help to go down but it really doesn't seem very fast at all. Normally to get down I point the cursor down and press forward, but that doesn't seem very functional because it isn't very precise (it's easy to miss the target landing spot) and it wouldn't be very easy to shoot at somebody when you have to point where you want to go rather than where you want to shoot.

I'll check crouching again just to be sure, but I didn't think it made a very noticeable difference.

It takes some getting used to and it's not like the SP Jetpack (but then what in MP is just like SP?) but it works for me.

Crouch and you move downward and ease off the gas.

Don't turn off the jetpack in mid air or you'll fall to your death (ignite the gas quickly to slow your fall).

When you want to go forward, you give it a little gas and press forward.

It isn't just like flying per se, giving it gas makes you move up and slightly forward IIRC. Don't give it gas for awhile and you'll start to sink.

Just practice and you'll get used to it (more difficult if you have framerate or lag problems btw).

Some of it may indeed be for balance purposes. If you had 100% perfect control, couldn't you just hover there in mid air and snipe people over and over?

The point of the Jetpack is to travel great distances or get to great heights quicker than somebody on Foot (and as an added bonus makes escape easier and let's you escape death from long falls).

The SP jetpack isn't much help if you want a comparison, since it lets you hover forever (unlimited fuel) plus it has that goofy animation of your arms extended. This is because it's just letting you play as the AI Boba Fett.

Archived