Home

[SP] Your opinion on JA SP after 6 months? *spoilers, duh*

txa1265

Was JA Under-scored? (what should it have been)?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Was JA Under-scored? (what should it have been)?

• YES! JA is Awesome! Should have been 90+
    • YES! JA is Great! Should have been upper 80's like JKII!
    • No, 81% is about right.
    • No - it was OVER-scored, should have been ~70%
    • No - WAY Over-scored, we're talking TS:Rise of the Machines (23%) bad here

Originally posted by txa1265

You'll Laugh; You'll Cry; You'll HURL!!!

... Barf - isn't that the guy from Spaceballs?!?!

... ok, I'm serious now ...

Interesting perspective. Have you played Dark Forces? I still love to play that on my Mac (2x the resolution of my old DOS version, and better sound) ...

I guess it just being a product of a time when Pong was revolutionary ... I can still play these blocky games (though I admit to playing Doom Legacy to get better graphics - I'm not a masochist!)

Mike

Dark Forces is the only FPS game that gave me motion sickness. That one truly made me nauseated (maybe I had low fps and didn't realize it). I couldn't play it because of that.

I never managed to beat Dark Forces either. I got stuck on this one level where you had to rescue someone from a prison complex, remember playing for hours and hours, totally unable to figure out what it was I needed to do. A shame, I loved the game up to then. What with all the problems with playing DF on later versions of windows etc, I eagerly await the DF mod for JA.

The idea of having actors and live action work to flesh out the story (so to speak) doesn't seem to be that popular anymore, it tends to be ingame engines or FMV sequences. I guess its rather expensive to have live action work, you need sets and such. I remember the heyday of the live action trend where they got Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowall et al in Wing Commander 3 (which cost $4m to make I seem to recall) and the Westwood games like Tiberian Sun where they got Micheal Biehn and James Earl Jones. Hey, there's a star wars tie in with both of those games then!

As for JA, I feel it was good but not spectacular and somewhere in the region of low 80s would be about right, for me. THe SP campaign is short but enjoyable, and I liked the structuring. I get the feeling Raven wanted to do a lot more with the level choice structure, the RPG stuff etc but weren't given enough time to make it very deep.

I liked JK2 the best I think - simply b/c of the storyline, though, which was very well executed. In terms of gameplay, JA is by far the best, and in terms of immersion feeling, JK1 still gets it. Nothing has captured that feeling as well as the sheer massiveness of the levels (like those Nar Shaddaa levels! Holy cow they were awesome!) I hope that the next JK game (if they actually decide to make one) goes back to that style. And the other thing that helped was the NPC characters that were just there for the effect.

In terms of gameplay, though, JA's saber combat was fantastic. Whiners aside, nothing matches the feeling of hacking down stormies with a double-bladed saber or the first time you twirl those dual blades. Sure, it had its issues, but nothing too major.

Overall I'd put it at about an 87-92 range. And only that low b/c of the relatively shallow storyline.

Originally posted by txa1265

Barf - isn't that the guy from Spaceballs?!?!

Half man, half dog. He's his own best friend.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Still it seems the RPG crowd wanted Galaxies in terms of customization.

And yet they don't play Galaxies...

Originally posted by Kengo

The idea of having actors and live action work to flesh out the story (so to speak) doesn't seem to be that popular anymore, it tends to be ingame engines or FMV sequences.

I would think that live action may work better now than it used to. With old games, you have part of the story told with live actors, and then you go back to controlling your character who is made out of twenty pixels :) I always found that this broke my immersion a bit. With todays graphics and effects, the difference in appearance is much less, and so the immersion can be about the same. But then again, if it looks great using the engine, why use actors?

Archived