Home

Bounty Hunters

wistolz

Yeh that would be cool, but there not putting those NPC's into MP are they? So it would have to be a SP event, and even then I think there making all those special characters Jedi.

But it would be really cool to see boba or jango on the battlefield as you suggested. Maybe making the rebel player having to have reached a certain number of kills before the bounty hunter can be employed. Simply to prevent people using them willy nilly.

it would seem cool though I wouldn't want it in the game.. abounty hunter? It would seem like the imperials dont do much on their own..it would be a bit stupid to have boba or jango (depends on trilogy) in a map 3 times racing towards someone and trying to kill em :\ i'd rather have npc armies like the tusken raiders and Jedi npc for each side

Originally posted by Sounds Risky

Adding Bounty Hunter NPCs into the game could be cool.

Let's say a Rebel player is really racking up some kills, the Empire could then issue a bounty on him and Boba Fett shows up on the playing field to hunt down the top Rebel player.

That's actually a pretty good idea. :thumbsup:

And an NPC Jedi Knight can be used to hunt down the "Top Player" on the Imperial Side.

i was just thinking (what a shock) is it possible for the jedi NPC's to be killed in the game? b/c if they can then pandemic would not be following the movies at all! that would kinda suck if you could just blow them up with a gunship or something, but then again if they are invincible or invisible, then that would be unfair. (i really need to stop thinking).:D

Originally posted by jasperw

Would be cool. Still you shouldn't put to much of the in the game. Something like 2 max pro game, and only the top players. Otherwise you can keep sending bounty hunters to a person who has killed the last one.

I was thinking one Bounty Hunter (or Jedi, depending on what side your playing) would go after the Top player. Here's how it would work. If the Top player is on a killing spree (multiple kills without being killed), then the game would automatically send out a Bounty Hunter to hunt that player down "for a limted time" -- maybe 2 to 3 minutes. The bounty hunter will then disappear from the map when the player:

A) is killed

B) the Bounty Hunter is killed or

C) the 2-3 minute timer is up.

Originally posted by dark jedi 8

i was just thinking (what a shock) is it possible for the jedi NPC's to be killed in the game? b/c if they can then pandemic would not be following the movies at all! that would kinda suck if you could just blow them up with a gunship or something, but then again if they are invincible or invisible, then that would be unfair. (i really need to stop thinking).:D

They should be. Look at Episode 2. They got they're asses whipped pretty bad in the Geonosian Arena.

I think adding Bounty Hunters to the game would be cool. That would make it look so much better. I personally would like to see Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Aurra Sing, Greedo, Bossk, IG-88, Dengar, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, and any other Bounty Hunter shown in the star wars films.

Originally posted by Chris Anne

I was thinking one Bounty Hunter (or Jedi, depending on what side your playing) would go after the Top player. Here's how it would work. If the Top player is on a killing spree (multiple kills without being killed), then the game would automatically send out a Bounty Hunter to hunt that player down "for a limted time" -- maybe 2 to 3 minutes. The bounty hunter will then disappear from the map when the player:

A) is killed

B) the Bounty Hunter is killed or

C) the 2-3 minute timer is up.

1) There will be jedi NPC's in the game (you've probably read that), but they won't go after top-players

2)The jedi's and bountyhunters you have in mind for you idea shouldn't be movie characters (no Obi-wan or Mara Jade) because of what dark jedi 8 said, it isn't fun if you kill them.

Eeek. You've no idea how much all these (albeit some imaginative and very good) ideas sound very similar to ideas placed towards SW Galaxies. Everyone started complaining quite quickly about bounty hunters once they were as powerful as the devs thought they should be... scripted events sound much better, like fighting alongside Luke and co, rather than having to run away from a sole bounty hunter capable of taking you out rather quickly. How would that work? When you are killed, do you come back to be harrassed by said bounty hunter again? Or would he disappear after taking you out once? I think things like this could work as possible one offs, but not as a regular thing. :deathii:

If you have a bounty on your head, it wouldn't really make sense. Imagine taking part in a huge battle between two rival clans, then having some soddin bounty hunter taking you out all the time because you may be too "good". Nah. Gotta say that'd piss me off. :fett:

Hey NeonVampire. Sort of in response to your comment, and Dark Jedi 8, I hope that continuity takes a back seat to fun in these games.

I think a lot of what happened with SWG is that following the continuity got in the way of the game. Since this game is built around the premise that the Empire can actually win the war, and that it isn't just "established" that the Rebels automatically win, I am holding out hope that NPCs will violate continuity. For example, you should be able to kill or wound Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker. The Rebels should be able to win on Hoth, and the Imperials should be able to win on Endor.

In that vein, since they are talking about having high-level NPCs as "perks"--Darth Vader showing up to strangle Rebels, or Luke showing up to lightsaber Imps--I think a "Bounty Hunter" NPC makes sense. Maybe it's not an automatic kill, but you could "hire" Boba Fett to attack specific enemies. He would leave other enemies alone and just focus on his target, and would either fight until killed, or until he killed his target.

Sounds like a good way of getting round certain problems, but I bet a lot of peeps will kick off about the lack of continuity in the SW universe if you can kill famous NPCs, although since you'll technically be able to pit clone troopers against the Empire, you never know. They may even let that slide, so you CAN kill famous NPCs... who knows... ;)

Sure...of course, you're already basically violating continuity by allowing the battles to take place, you know what I mean? As far as continuity goes, the Rebels lost at Hoth, end of story. But because you are placing the battle in the hands of players, the Rebels have to be able to win...well, unless they do something lame and have the Rebel victory conditions be "escape the planet before the Imperials wipe you out."

I sort of think of it in the same vein as those old "What If?" comic books. Like, ok, in continuity, what if The Punisher's family hadn't been killed? Would various villians take over the world because The Punisher wasn't around to kill them?

It's not like you're rewriting the Star Wars saga--you know, you're not doing something UNTHINKABLE, like taking a familiar character, maybe a scoundrel and a smuggler, and changing the context in which he shoots a bounty hunter out to kill him. I mean, if you REALLY changed the flow of how the story actually went, I mean, BROKE CONTINUITY by, say, having the wrong person shoot first, well, all I can say is that you're going to hell. Straight to hell. ;)

But, anyway, if you're just playing out a theoretical saga--what if the Rebels won at Hoth--then you're getting a chance to rewrite the saga in a unique way. The inability to do that, to really MATTER, is what kinda turned me off to SWG in the end...

It was the constant complaining on SWG that put me off in the end... (yes, I was one of the dreaded Bounty Hunters, and yes, I kicked ass :D )

But I know what you're talking about. The Infinities graphic novels explain what you are saying perfectly. It doesn't have to be completely accurate as long as its a fun game. At the end of the day, the game will be based on the SW universe. NOT the stories, compared to SWG, which is set between Episodes 4 and 5(?). However, whether it actually happens like the way we are speculating is another matter entirely. There are just too many SW fans who would consider that to be blasphemous. Think about how many flamers existed on SWG. I couldn't get over how many there were, and that played a strong part in me leaving in the end. :(

Yeah, Sounds Risky, that would work...

Luke: Yeah! Die Stormtrooper scum!

(500 Stormtroopers blast at him at once)

Luke: Whoa, look at the time!

(Leaves)

:D

Anyway, NeonVampyre, I was a BH too, at the end. And it opened up a lot more of the game's content to me. But, in the end, there just wasn't enough content there to hold my interest. I still have my subscription, in case I change my mind, but Dharven Freeh's career is over for now.

Personally, I think that if you took all the SWG assets--the great crafting system, the social classes like Dancer or Musician, the vehicles, the combat, everything--and just stripped it of all "Star-Wars-ness," it would work perfectly as an anonymous Sci-Fi MMO.

You hear about the group of EQ players who killed an "unkillable" mob? Verant or Sony or whoever it is now made the mistake of not actually making it unable to be killed, but instead, giving it like a million-billion hitpoints. So some players spent untold hours fighting it, and killed it in the end. Now that is the MMO equivalent of destroying the Death Star!

But when, within weeks of the start of the game, you had people soloing Krayts, where do you go from there? The answer is, you've just unintentionally screwed continuity right there.

Anyway, done ranting now. :) I think, in the end, I feel more Star-Warsy-ness in UT2K4 than in SWG, because the most memorable moments from Star Wars are the epic battles. Coordinating an attack with VOIP, taking nodes, blasting flyers and gun turrets...man, it's exciting! I hope that that's what this game can do: create that same atmosphere of battle, only do it with Star Wars.

as long as its realistic that you can harm the NPC. and that they are not some uber powerful god, just a jedi/sith. but to have just 1 player able to inflict damage on those jedi NPC's isn't really realistic b/c vader could take down any lone soldier no matter how good they are. but for a group of soldiers to be able to work together and wound the npc to the state that he must leave, then i believe that is reasonable.

on a side note, the npc for the clones is mace. so if mace is brought down to help the clones on geonosis, would it be reasonalbe to have him be killed since he fought at the battle of geonosis in the movie and insead of the clones winning and him living, the droids could win and as a droid soldier you could kill mace thus altering the battle on more levels than one. the same would go for dooku, vader, and luke on their own respectable planet. (just putting out my 3 cents):)

Archived