Home

Space battles?

Huntsman

I'm sure this must have been discussed at some point but I don't see a search function on this forum so here goes...

(puts flame suit on)

I haven't heard about space maps being added...will they? Even GC (galactic conquest) a mod for BF1942 has one such maps but I have a sneaking suspicion that in Battlefront, I will not be chasing after tie fighters while weaving between frigates and star destroyers, lasers spitting past in every direction...

...I really live for that sort of thing in the Star Wars universe... :(

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rogue Squadron, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Jedi Starfighter, Battle for Naboo, Starfighter...there has been a LOT of Star Wars space games. We need a ground only one.

Galactic Conquest's space maps were horrible. So much lag and weirdness.

My Frigate once "sank" and I was left "swimming" in space :p No seriously lol!

"Rogue Squadron, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Jedi Starfighter, Battle for Naboo, Starfighter...there has been a LOT of Star Wars space games. We need a ground only one.

Galactic Conquest's space maps were horrible. So much lag and weirdness.

My Frigate once "sank" and I was left "swimming" in space No seriously lol!"

Well, while these other games do exist, they are not 16, 32 or 64 player online multiplayer games. All those single player games are ok but AI bots, no matter how good, are not the same as playing real, unpredictable people. I've learned that time and again in games where I played through the single player missions and thought I was "leet", then joined the multiplayer aspect and found out I was a little fish in a big arsed pond!

Multiplayer is where it's at for me...and no I don't want to pay a monthly fee to play Galaxies once the space expansion arrives. I simply refuse to pay full price for a game upfront AND THEN pay for it monthly as well...screw that shiznits :(

Yes, it is clear that GC has a LOOONG way to go...and I had my doubts when .1 was released. However, as of .2, though there are all kinds of problems like you describe (Frigate "sinking" in space LMAO) you can see that the mod has serious potential.

Originally posted by Huntsman

Well, while these other games do exist, they are not 16, 32 or 64 player online multiplayer games. All those single player games are ok but AI bots, no matter how good, are not the same as playing real, unpredictable people. I've learned that time and again in games where I played through the single player missions and thought I was "leet", then joined the multiplayer aspect and found out I was a little fish in a big arsed pond!

Jedi Academy siege_destroyer map

'nuff said

Originally posted by jasperw

It could be one of the mystery plantes. Pandemic told that every major place in the movies would be in the game, so I don't see why there wouldn't be an battle against death star map.

It's possible, but again I doubt it. As far as I know, there has been no mention anywhere that there will be space battles in the game. I'm sure they would have said something about it by now. If there is a Death Star Map in the game, then the fighting will most likely take place inside Death star -- rebel infantry soldiers vs imperial infantry soldiers. I know it wouldn't make sense since that never happened in the movies but the Star Wars games have rarely stayed true to its original source. :)

i guess it could happen but that forces everyone to be pilot classes and i dont think anyone would practice teamwork cus everyone would want to be a han solo, and deal with the enemy by themselves. so i dont think its impossible but i also think it wouldn't be done right

So how quality are the Jedi Accedemy space battles? How many maps? Are they official? Are they deathmatch or are there objectives? Are there Capital ships? Does it (they) capture the Star Wars space battle feel?

Edit: JEDI KNIGHT JEDI ACADEMY!1!1!1!1

NOTE: it really cheese me off when people type "leet" and use the #1 as an exclamation point...

Originally posted by GlobalStrike

The engine will also be suited for air combat, don't forget that. :jawa :jawa

Air battles are one thing, space ones are another. First off, there's no limit to where ou can fly in space. You can't go too "high" nor too "low". The engine they're making will probably have a too high and too low(crashing) because it's mainly ground. So they're going to have to modify the engine for that part.

It could be one more burden on their shoulders when they should be focusing all of their efforts on the ground combat.

You didn't get my point, of course people won't fly to the end of space.

Think of the maps for SWBF like a huge box filled up with stuff inside. Now, there's a top, there's a bottom and there are sides to a box. In space, no such things exist. That's the problem with Galactic Conquest and its space maps. The engine was build so there would be a ground and a sky. SWBF's engine will hopely be made the smae way. Ground and Sky. They're gonna have to change the engine so it won't have a ground anymore.

Archived