Home

Space battles?

Huntsman

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if every planet has 2 areas, I think it would be a good idea if on some planets they have one space map. For example, on the Endor map, one map would be on the forest, and the other in space with the Death Star. SWBF does have potential to integrate the space maps, I think would be a better game if they do that. You could choose if you want to fight in space with vehicles or on the ground with units and vehicles.

My thought is that if there is a space map, then all the strategy of picking a specific type of soldier is gone. Their special abilities will do nothing for them if everyone is in a ship. Not to mention that the teamwork aspect will be gone. Though not impossible, it is hard to get teamwork when everyone is flying around in different directions.

But that does leave me to wonder what they are planning for the Tie fighters and X-wings...

Well yes and no.

Firstly, though the choice of claases MAY be inconcequential, there will be a finite # of X-wings, Y-wings etc and Tie fighters, tie bombers etc...therefore the different "classes" are essentially the differnt vehicles, each of which will have their own combinations of endurance, firepower, speed, and maneuverability.

Secondly there should also be cap ships which can be piloted and different gunner stations manned aboard them. More importantly cap ships allow for the possibility of being boarded. When this happens, you WILL have infantry combat and the class you choose will come into play.

Originally posted by Gukkjo

My thought is that if there is a space map, then all the strategy of picking a specific type of soldier is gone. Their special abilities will do nothing for them if everyone is in a ship. Not to mention that the teamwork aspect will be gone. Though not impossible, it is hard to get teamwork when everyone is flying around in different directions.

But that does leave me to wonder what they are planning for the Tie fighters and X-wings...

It will matter if you choose the pilot class, which will be what everyone would choose.

About the team work, look at Jedi Academy siege_destroyer, it has hellva lot of team play if you really want it.

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

It will matter if you choose the pilot class, which will be what everyone would choose.

I was under the impression that pilots don't necessarily fly better than everyone else, but rather they have different abilities. From Lucas Arts:

Rebel Pilots are capable at initiating repairs and are also the only units that can eject safely out of damaged vehicles. They are adept at wreaking havoc on enemy vehicles and helping with the construction of makeshift command posts.

Plus if everyone chose Pilot, then as I said the strategy of chosing is gone, because everyone will be/want to be a pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

space battles would as compared to creating land based maps would be incredibly easy.

In an old interview concerning Rogue Squadron one developer said the reason most Rogue Squadron maps are on planets is because it makes it more interesting to players. Making a pure space maps consists of the backdrop of stars and then just all the objects inside the box.

Star Wars games always worked to incorparate varied play-ability. Look at the Dark Forces series and Shadows of the Empire.

Having pure space battles would add so much the game.

Simplify the flight controls as compared to the xwing games. Limit player classes, you don't need a sniper in a space battle. Give capitol ships the ability to repair fighters (like the hangar recharge in BF1942). Give capitol ships several defensive turbo laser positions for the "non-flyers" to occupy (like the carriers in BF1942).

Something they should really consider. Vehicles almost always have fewer polys than organic models like soldiers and plants. Also there would be far fewer animations needed for starships versus human models. I bet there would be a notable increase in PC performance every time a map would change to a space battle just because it has to draw so many fewer items. If they wanted to make it cooler they use fog effects in combination with a nicely painted backdrop to simulate a nebula. Of course there's always the asteroid field too. God I hope they don't leave these aspects out.

i think i found a way to have space battles and making picking classes strategic. The level can be on two starships in space. the battle can be in side but there are a few shuttle bays with different ships in each one. You can board them and fly out into space and use it to have space battles or a transport to the other ship. That way you will need to pick a good class for fighting on the ship. Also having different ships in different bays could be harder to find for better vehicles.

Originally posted by Huntsman

Secondly there should also be cap ships which can be piloted and different gunner stations manned aboard them. More importantly cap ships allow for the possibility of being boarded. When this happens, you WILL have infantry combat and the class you choose will come into play.

Ummm I think that making the outside and inside of a ship will be to taxing on the system. So that rules out the boarding witch leaves you again with a space map with no teamwork.

edit: WHOOO 50 posts. I am now a gungan grunt. fear my power!!!

Originally posted by slapshot16

(1)Ummm I think that making the outside and inside of a ship will be to taxing on the system. So that rules out the boarding witch leaves you again with a space map with no teamwork.

(2)edit: WHOOO 50 posts. I am now a gungan grunt. fear my power!!!

1-True. If we all started on starfighters only without having the starship's interior, there would be an increase in PC performance. However, we can run on the starship so really not much of a difference.

2-And I'm a hot chick ;)

We cannot have pure simple flight controls. We need a 3d radar first and foremost. If we kept it like in Galactic Conquest and Rogue Leader with a 2d radar that would suck. The radars were so useless...

BTW there probably won't be space maps. There has been loads of flight sims and flight shooters based around Star Wars. I know none of them had great MP capabilities but we have had more then our share of it.

Originally posted by slapshot16

Ummm I think that making the outside and inside of a ship will be to taxing on the system. So that rules out the boarding witch leaves you again with a space map with no teamwork.

edit: WHOOO 50 posts. I am now a gungan grunt. fear my power!!!

Once again, look at JA's siege_destroyer

It's HUGE, and the Star Destroyer has some inside area (the hanger, where the imerials spawn). It looks really big from the inside, and really small campared to the whole Star Destroyer. That's a REAL SIZE Star Destroyer right there, and it doesn't slow anything down! I bet that if there were a bit more inside areas to the Star Destroyer, it wouldn't slow the thing down either.

But that's Jedi Academy and that's Battlefront...

Ok, I just got jedi academy and DLed the seige_destroyer map. It looks really cool in spectator mode but 2 problems:

- I can't find any populated servers playing this map

and

- It won't show on my map list so I can't host it

Does anyone know how to host this map? Also, can anyone who plays it give me an IP of a server that typically has people playing it regularly?

I wish the map were a bit bigger and a few more cap ships but the star destroyer looks excellent. I also noticed they put in some classes for the map. Pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard you can win the death star if you beat the rebels on endor. I don't know how they are going to do that. If someone got that they will invinceable. Unless they have a map devoted to you playing as the rebel fleet and fighting the death star.

i think that to win the death star you will have to be VERY good. then when you win it you you will have to recharge. when it is recharging the enemy will have to detroyed the dish that is giving the death star shield:deathii: is it is 2 and destroy it before the death star has time to fire.

Archived