Home

Space battles?

Huntsman

Well I think its a definite possibility. Take a look at Galactic Conquest (BF1942-MOD) the Death Star map is a good format, sure it has its problems but its fun. Sure there will be floor and celing limits but who is actually gonna explore those, the fight will be somewhere in the middle.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Pandemic is smart, they'll keep their focus on ground and air.

There are plenty of great scenarios with the X-Wing and Rogue Squadron serieses (sp?). There's no reason to be redundant when you're trying to make a breakthrough game.

-- Lingo

P.S. -- They'd be really smart to follow up with a space engine for a separate game...

You didn't get my point, of course people won't fly to the end of space.

Think of the maps for SWBF like a huge box filled up with stuff inside. Now, there's a top, there's a bottom and there are sides to a box. In space, no such things exist. That's the problem with Galactic Conquest and its space maps. The engine was build so there would be a ground and a sky. SWBF's engine will hopely be made the smae way. Ground and Sky. They're gonna have to change the engine so it won't have a ground anymore.

____________________________________________________ posted by lukeiamyourdad. You did'nt get my point either, so what if there is'nt limits in space? If they will have space in SWBF they're going to have limits as how far you can fly. It's just not going to go forever like everquest.

Originally posted by GlobalStrike

You didn't get my point, of course people won't fly to the end of space.

Think of the maps for SWBF like a huge box filled up with stuff inside. Now, there's a top, there's a bottom and there are sides to a box. In space, no such things exist. That's the problem with Galactic Conquest and its space maps. The engine was build so there would be a ground and a sky. SWBF's engine will hopely be made the smae way. Ground and Sky. They're gonna have to change the engine so it won't have a ground anymore.

____________________________________________________ posted by lukeiamyourdad. You did'nt get my point either, so what if there is'nt limits in space? If they will have space in SWBF they're going to have limits as how far you can fly. It's just not going to go forever like everquest.

No, you didn't get his point, he's talking about up down east west north south. Even if the map didn't have limits, there will still be the feeling of up and down. Altough by my experiance from BattleField, I noticed that when I'm in a plane, I have no idea what direction I'm heading, that's why I always crash :o

Perhaps the "box" thing wasn't such a good idea.

If they made a space mode, they'll have to remove the "ground" . Which is something they shouldn't be worrying about.

Will people get over it? It's been such a long while since we had a ground based game. We already have plenty of flight sims and shooters why more? This game must be concentrating on the ground part. Next time we get a Q/A from Pandemic, ask them this question.

Ground Battles + Space Battles = A Great Game!!!

Why not have variety in a game? It adds longevity to a game when people have options.

If you want ground combat stick with those maps, but I know if this game had a decent space map no one will say "man I wish they didn't put this fun space map in this game."

So I really don't see the problem.

Yup. My bet is on an expansion pack.

Either that, or somebody in the modding community will do it very soon.

I know that UT2K4 has one space/ground battle. I will have to go home and play that one to see how it feels.

I hope that the crew at Pandemic are paying CLOSE attention to that game...IMHO, it really defines what an FPS is minimally going to have to be capable of to really blow people away.

I wonder how air combat is going to work in the game? They've explicitly said that there will be X-Wings, TIE Fighters, etc., but those ships have a pretty high top speed. I wonder just how big the maps are going to be for them to fit.

Originally posted by T1nman33

I hope that the crew at Pandemic are paying CLOSE attention to that game...IMHO, it really defines what an FPS is minimally going to have to be capable of to really blow people away.

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough

wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your

father smelled of elderberries."

...and that pretty much sums up how I feel about your designs on the dev team taking ANYTHING from UT. Hopefully they're taking their inspiration from Battlefield 1942, not from that mindless shooter.

...and yes, I am a FPS snob! :roleyess:

You even played UT2004?

You should see the space battle you can take part in. Theres lots of potential there, as well as in the Star Wars BF1942 mod that I can't remember the name of.

Hope Pandemic have a look at those and seriously consider space battles in either an expansion, or a possibility as a mod... that'd be so cool... :D

Originally posted by NeonVampyre

You even played UT2004?

You should see the space battle you can take part in. Theres lots of potential there, as well as in the Star Wars BF1942 mod that I can't remember the name of.

Hope Pandemic have a look at those and seriously consider space battles in either an expansion, or a possibility as a mod... that'd be so cool... :D

Haven't played it at length but games like Quake and UT I have played briefly and have seen them played. What I utterly dislike about what I saw was that:

A- they threw realism out the window

B- and more importantly they were nothing but mindless frag fests

I need a shooter that is more complex and has teamwork and tactics at it's heart.

UT2k4 is a fun mindless fragfest. I like it but not the same way I will like SWBF. When I need to blow off some steam I'll play UT2k4 and when I'm in need of something more serious, I'll play BF1942, BF:V or SWBF.

You're going to have to remember that this game is mainly a ground battle one. The possibility of having space battles are extremely low(and preferably so).

agree. i didnt like ut2k4 cuz everybody i saw was inside a vehicle, and that was quite annoying. bf:v is far better in that relation, there are a few tanks and aircrafts, which have to be dealt with shortly and painfully, and then its done. i like the close combat better, though sometimes id like to have sort of an airfight.

the great about the vehicles in bf:v is that alone its crap, but as soon as you have someone to drive and one to shoot, its great. thats how it should be, imho.

uh, and id like the controls of the air units to be a little bit easier than in bf:v cuz they are really crap if you dont have a joystick, which i dont have cuz i dont use to play flight sims, but not as easy as in ut2k4 cuz then everybody will be waiting for the next vehicle, which is very annoying.

it is, compared to what other games are. if you compare even onslaught to bf:v it is nothing more than a mindless shooter which just has a definded line where you gotta run along.

i tried the following once in ut2k3 deathmatch antalus: i closed my eyes, pressed fire, repressed when i heard i was killed and duckjumped around the map against bots of lvl 7. and it worked, i won the match. no fake.

it is mindless. even onslaught, if you compare with other games.

for ut-relation, onslaught is bloody complicated. but if you played one hour bf:v and then switch to ut2k4 onslaught, you will go nuts anout how simple it is.

but - i loved the demo too, yet now im playing bf:v every free minute (or bg2).

If they release an SDK, then anything is possible. I'd settle for Stormies boarding a ship, like the opening sequence in the original Star Wars. Intense firefights in cramped corridors with droids running for cover...and a planet looming large through the viewplates...

Archived