Home

Single Player - NPC A.I.: Will it be Smart?

Chris Anne

This game looks so good. I know Battlefront is primarily a Multiplayer game and I can't wait to play it, but I'm curious if the A.I. in the Single Player game will be "smart" enough to give you a decent challenge.

Having smart NPC's in the SP game would be great practice for the MP game. Have the developers talked about this? :)

Considering how many FPS are on the market today, if the devs want theres to make an impact, the AI has to be smart. Gamers expect it now, anything less will be left behind. I think you can be pretty certain that the AI will be a very capable foe. Most games have an option for how good you want the AI to be. I got BFV today and had to turn the AI down because it was panning my ass.

It depends on what you define as good for AI, good aim? throwing grenades when needed? Taking cover instead of standing in front of your tank fire? crouching to make use of increased accuracy?

There have been comments in game mags about ewoks and neutral NPC's doing things such as stealng vehicles, and setting traps. I think that if they are going to that level, that we can be assured the AI wont be a slack ass.

There has been no comment from the devs on the true ability of the AI that I know of. But for a FPS to succeed, in todays market and above others in the same genre, it has to be something worth while. And from what I have read, I get the feeling the boys at lucasarts are going all out. There definately aiming to beat the BF series, and for them to be confident of that, It has to be special in all areas, including AI. I dont think they will let us down there.

That and considering there will be 32 players per side(SP & MP) for PC, that in itself will be a challenge.

But thats what Im saying, it depends on what you define as good. Compare BF, troops have a good variety or things they do, they know to throw grenades when your in a tank, they know to crouch so they get better accuracy.

Compare Half life, troops have dead on accuracy, when there shooting, there hitting!! They use grenades to flush you out of tight spots. But they never hide, only when they run out of ammo.

Compare COD, these guys have the most variety. They use grenades, they take cover, they crouch, there accuracy is NOT perfect. So it depends on what you think defines good AI.

I suspect the battlefront SP campaign will be much like BF, the only difference is that you take turns in choosing which map you attack. It wont have a story line to the likes of half life, or halo.

Rather just a place for you to play the game if you dont get online, with added benefits such as being able to summon Jedi, which you cant do in MP.

Good IA means reacting as accurely to a human in performance (ie acting randomly sometimes, using various tactics a human might use stc) The bots in BF1942 and BFV were TERRIBLE. They ran around aimlessly, flew like smacktards, sometimes just stood there...and to compensate the devs made it so that you couldn't hide from them...they always saw you...of course they couldn't aim to save their lives so...

Anyway, if they are modseling this after BF1942 and BFV, you can expect that the AI in Battlefront to be less than spectacular. Since I'm all about the multiplay myself, I couldn't care less.

heh i just played battle field vietnam today and the AI on it is bad.

you get bots that either just stand there or sit in a vehicle and never get out:mad:

but then the ones that do attack always stop moving when they spot an enemy and then spend half an hour crouching aiming and switching weapon:rolleyes:

Rest assured, unlike BF1942/VietNam, the developers are putting some importance into the single player(since it'll be developped for console too, mostly for single player unless you want to pay that 20 bucks for X-Box Live). The AI will be good.

BF:V's AI sucks and doesn't at the same time...they have godly aim when they want but sometimes, the bots would just stand there and empty their RPD/M60 on me...not a single shot landed on my body...

They suck but they make good practice nevertheless and they let you explore the map without really stopping you.

Originally posted by Wai_TungLeung

I think it will turn out decent enough for your casual player, but I don't consider AI of great importance, only for times where multiplayer is not an option.

That's exactly why I'm hoping the A.I. turns out to be decent. Online games eventually die off as newer innovated multiplayer games come out. Players will inevitably move onto the next popular game. If this game becomes a favorite of mine, I want to be able to play it years later. And its most likely that years later there will be no one playing this game online. So, if the game had a real good A.I., then I would just play alone against the bots and have fun. :)

Archived