Home

ScummGUI v0.6.0

00Jerico00

Ok, i've made a small site for ScummGUI and its ready for download now.

ScummGUI is an easy to use graphically launcher for the win32 build of ScummVM and runs on all available

versions of windows. Some features are screenshots, box scans and the possibility to download the latest

ScummVM. Look at the readme for more details.

Download ScummGUI v0.6.0 here.

scummgui.cjb.net

Have Phun!

I've tried it. Now I'm guessing ScummVm needs to be in a specific folder for this to work, thing is you haven't specified the path that scummgui is looking at for scummvm.

Secondly, it all seems a little redundant. And that's simply because of ScummVM Q&E found here.

This already has a very good GUI system and the best part of it is, all of it's functions are all on one window, no need to go searching through multiple windows to find what you want and when you're ready to actually start the game, it's easy to just glance over at everything to make sure it's all right. it also has the ability to create a shortcut for the game on your desktop so you just have to double click on the shortcut to start the game with all of the settings. It also has a daily buid feature so it gets all of the upgrades of scummvm straight off of the website and upgrads q&e as well.

Now I understand that you're new and hav'e really had a chance to perfect this yet, but all i'm saying is don't come up with something someone already has come up with unless you're going to outdo them. I'd suggest trying harder. It's good, don't get me wrong, i know I can't do this and it's very impressive and runs smoothly (up until actually trying a game out, but I think that's my prob), but I prefer to us Q&E at the mo.

Peace

Joshi

:)

Mmmmh... Meh like!

I did always miss ScummVM Q&E to display the cover and screenshots as well.

But I have a future suggestion... Instead of the box with all the games, why not make a list on the right with them, then when we mark the game we want to play, screeenshots and boxart will appear. Also, I like the way we can customize the screenshots.

Meh like :D

Also, it would be nice to have something like SCUMMvm Q&E, where it displays how much of it is finished.

Instead of having a button named Download, this might be mistaken with Download the game. I would like to see it being renamed to Snapshot or something.

Also, there's too many windows.

** looking **

Now, when I noticed the tabs in the options window, I like it :p

Nice work!

Hope it'll be updated regulary!

** edit **

I mean something like this...

http://www.ideiadupla.com/gbafront/

Well, I tried it, but there are a lot of things that needs to be improved before I would recommend this one over Q+E. The major ones for me are:

1. Interface - To set up a game in Q+E I do it on one screen with only a few clicks, which gives me a nice and quick overview of the setup. ScummGUI requires me to open multiple windows, with a lot of sub menus. It's not very intuitive at all.

2. Download size - ScummGUI is about ten times the size of Q+E. At home I'm on 56k, so that makes a difference to me.

3. I click "Start" and get a message that I need to put ScummVM in the "scummvm" folder. What "scummvm" folder? I already have it installed under c:\scummvm. Am I supposed to create one under ScummGUI, as the folder doesn't exist there? Wouldn't it be easier to maybe just install ScummGUI to the current ScummVM folder?

It's a nice effort, but what makes ScummVM Q+E the better choice is that it does exactly what it says it does - it runs ScummVM quickly and easily. Keep at it though, more choices is always a good thing. ;

Ok, i know it's hard to make everybody happy.

Firstly, i don't have to justify what i did, but i want to clarify something.

As i said in another topic/post. I started this project before i ever heard of Q+E and as

i did, ScummGUI was mostly ready.

I posted it here, because this is a place where many adventure fans and ScummVM users come

together and when not here where else. I also posted it in the ScummVM forum. Q+E ist a great

frontend, no question, but where is written that it can only be one. It's an alternative, nothing

more. If your happy with Q+E use it, no problem for me.

Where should i place ScummVM? Well, if you read the readme, you can see where ScummGUI is

looking for ScummVM (It seems that it is not clear enough at all, or some people simply do

not look into readme's. Right click on the titlebar).

The idea of the interface was to show as few options as possible and that only works with

a categorized menu system. Sure, i can make a 800x600 form and i can place the box covers,

screenshots and all options on this form, but how can look that. Keep also in mind that some

games (Simon 1+2, Broken Sword 2 and FOTAQ) have advanced options. The interface is in some

cases the same as the ScummVM one, particularly the options menu (categorized options = more windows).

It simply has another kind of menu system as Q+E.

I could also include shortcuts, but i decided against this (maybe at the moment or ever). If you

want to quick launch a game, then set this game as default and every time you start ScummGUI,

this game comes up. Simply press start. I don't think you're playing more than one game at the

same time. You can also use ScummGUI as an CD/DVD autostarter and in this case shortcuts make

little sense.

To the download size. Yes it's not the smallest with 3mb in size, but that is the prize for

the graphics and screenshots.

jannar85, thanks for your suggestions. Ideas are always welcome. Let me see, what i can do for

the next update. And yes, it will be updated regulary.

And thanks for the criticism only this can make things good, but there is no need to be impolitely.

Jerico

Archived