Home

Jedi Academy or Knights of the Old Republic?

KarlMarx

Hey guys I'm between two paths right now either JA or Knights of the Old Republic. LucasArts couldn't really decide it for me and I know you guys are probly biased to JA but what does each game offer?

I have heard that in JA you do not play as Katarn (like MGS2, where you play the spineless chick dude for most of the game instead of Snake the badass.)

I don't care about graphics. I care about gameplay and to a much lesser degree story, then graphics.

Thanks guys.

Well, KotOR's got the graphics, the story, the guns, the sabers, the action, the romantic action :naughty:, pretty much everything. If you want to be totally zoned out of the rest of the world for a few days then it's your game. But if you just want some casual stress relief, JA's gotcha covered. Really it's a choice between what type of game you like best.

I think that KotOR's really, really, really good. But I like JA a lot too. So...get both! :p

And we're really not biased towards JA. Check this out.

well, KOTOR doesn't have mp, and I would think that without mp there wouldn't be alot of piont in modding (if you were planning too), though some of my friends say Kotor is better, and since I havent ever played it , I can't say.

even though I've never played-- I still say JA Rules

there's a demo for jedi academy, you might want to try that one.

They're both great games; if you can't get both you'll have to decide on this;

KOTOR

awesome graphics

rpg (you don't flight yourself, you click on 'do that move')

amazing gameplay+storyline

JA

SP+MP

Action game, slash and bash.. anyways just try the demo i aint good in making comparison tables like this :)

Well, it depends on what sort of gameplay you want, really. KOTOR is based on RPGing, so if you love to RP, get KOTOR. If not, buy Jedi Academy. Personally, I would choose JA because, although KOTOR is good, you would get bored of the same stuff over and over. JA MP is constantly changing, such as the people's attitude. That's what makes it interesting for me. ;) I would advise you to get JA.

RPGs or FPS games? JA is a great, fun FPS game. KotOR is by all accounts an excellent RPG. Both are set in the Star Wars universe. There's reviews for both games available online. What sort of game do you prefere?

Basically it comes down to this:

-If you want a "Jedi Simulator"* get KOTOR.

OR

-If you want an action FPS with multiplayer in the Star Wars universe, get Jedi Academy.

* Close as you are going to get to one anyway, in the videogame world.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Yeah, I would get JA, but then I have KotOR also :p But not to burst anyone's bubble, but KotOR really dosne't have any replay value after going through it about 8-9 times, unless you mod it :) Go to the KotOR forums, very many mods there!

Yes, but it takes about 20-40 hours to finish KotOR, whilst it only takes about 5-10 for JA, so KotOR is much longer.

If i had to choose (I own both) i'd go for KotOR.

[aside]Wow those were short times ... did you see anything along the way? I am generally taking >60 hours in my 4 KotOR trips and >20 hours in my 4 JA trips ... [/aside]

My thought would be this - would you rather be playing Neverwinter Nights or Return to Castle Wolfenstein? Baldur's Gate or Half Life?

See what I'm saying? KotOR is more action-packed than most RPG's, and JA has more RPG-lite elements than most FPS, but ultimately it is a RPG vs FPS thing.

I couldn't even begin choose between what are my two favorite games ... which is when being an adult with plenty of disposable $$ helps :p

Mike

Originally posted by Imperial_thug

KOTOR does'nt have mp or even real-time action, that is why we are still stuck with role-players and honor jerks screwing this game up. I was hoping that KOTOR was going to take them all away, and they could give up the FPS genre and stop trying to change it into an RPG.

I'm still under the impression that it's the whiners and jerks that were ruining the game. Those are hardly limited to a small group that likes to roleplay on servers dedicated to that end, or people that like to bow before you kick their teeth in.

It's the people that think you should have to bow before you kick their teeth in, and whine if you don't. And the other jerks that come in and tell you how you ought to play the game even when the server isn't dedicated to their particular style of gameplay. Whether they insist on roleplay and 'honour rules', or whether they go onto a server dedicated to such things and start hacking away at those that didn't come for that sort of thing.

It has nothing at all with how they want to play the game, and everything to do with whether or not they expect and demand other people to play their way, whining, crying, and namecalling when people refuse.

If you forget that simple truth and start telling people that like to roleplay on roleplay servers to get the hell out of JK and go to KotOR or Galaxies, or start callimg them names, either on their own servers or here, then you're every bit as bad as those idiots that jump onto a hack and slash server demanding people bow, and getting pissy when someone attacks them from behind. You become that very same type of person, just complaining about different things.

You become the very problem you were originaly complaining about.

I don't mean to single Imperial_Thug out like that, I apologize. You do have valid complaints, assuming you mean the people that jump onto servers demanding you play their way, when there's no such server rules or anything like that.

However, I see far too many people that tend to lose sight of that, and I've visited plenty of RPG servers, training servers, and even FFA servers with a few house rules to abide by (sabers down and whatnot), and seen hack and slash types jump on and just ignore those rules, or demand people play the game their way, which is just as bad.

Originally posted by t3rr0r

i would have bought kotor if it wasn't knights of the old republic. i didn't get very much of a star warsy feel when i tried it. if only it had been set during the classic (and on) era...

Hmm. I found the opposite. I thought it was one of the most accurate games in terms of Star Wars feel. Even though it isn't in the OT era, just about everything has a direct counterpart in the OT.

Originally posted by Prime

Hmm. I found the opposite. I thought it was one of the most accurate games in terms of Star Wars feel.

Agree - everything is just bathed in a Star Wars-y feel - it shows you don't need Stormtroopers to get a Star Wars feel. But you do need lightsabers ... and some corny jokes, cheesy dialogue and someone whining (be it luke, anakin, rosh or carth) always helps ;)

Even though it isn't in the OT era, just about everything has a direct counterpart in the OT.
Actually, there I have a subtle distinction - what makes KotOR so good is that it has analogues throughout the OT, but without 'knock-off' direct counterparts. The characters are familiar, yet different and alive of their own.

Mike

Archived