Home

No Child left behind

Mo Goya

There is a new law in Illinois called no child left behind. IT IS SO DUMB!! It states that by the year 2014 (right date?) 100% of students will pass the ISAT tests. If the schools dont then they get a warning. And if they still dont then they have to set up one on one tutoring for the students who didnt pass. If they still dont then all of the faculty is fired and replaced. First of all where are they gonna get the teachers to replace them? They dont even tell teachers what questions more most frequently missed so they can improve. So how do they expect schools to get 100%? Well, a lot of you might not know what I'm talking about but tell me what you think of it. My science teacher was telling my class about it and it interested me and a lot of other kids too, so I thought it might interest you guys too.

Yeah, it's a retarded sets of laws that Dubya is trying to get implemented on a national level. Basically what they're saying is that every kid should perform above average, which is like... impossible...

Another part of it is that teacher's will get result-based pay. That in effect means that teachers will be forced to teach according to narrow, standardized tests and not to wide, general knowledge.

The American education system is going down the crapper.

I love America too but this law is really dumb. I dont even know where they think they are going to get the tutors for the students who dont pass. Also, if they fire all the teachers where are they going to get qualified ones? They dont. They get really desperate teachers who stink because there is such a lack of teachers. That will just make things worse.

Originally posted by RemiO

Well, the No Child Left Behind thing won't really fire anybody, though they might do paycuts if the teacher doesn't show "improvements" with his or her students.

Well, I thought they said they would "let go" (thats fancy talk for fire) all of the faculty if they dont do well after they do tutoring, or thats what my teacher told us.

Uh, yeah, if you're gonna gonna take what I said out of context, that might be a way to look at it.

Well, your topic at the moment was the failure we get when we motivate teachers.

It...it...it fits like a puzzle piece.

Doesn't necessarily mean the education system is fúcked up, could be there are just a lot of dumbasses. :¬:

Seriously, what I think is that our kids are spoiled. The Germans and Americans get everything served in their mother-tongue while people in Finland have to cope with English TV program, games etc. (little is translated for them) and Canadians basically have to understand English and French. Both rooled at PISA...

Originally posted by Ernil

Well, your topic at the moment was the failure we get when we motivate teachers.

It...it...it fits like a puzzle piece.

I will re-iterate:

"Another part of it is that teacher's will get result-based pay. That in effect means that teachers will be forced to teach according to narrow, standardized tests and not to wide, general knowledge."

I feel sorry for you if I need to explain to you why that is not a good thing.

Archived