Home

IGN/Gamespy and Lucasarts hook up

eastcoast2895

If playing through gamespyware is the only way you can play online i might have second thoughts about buying this game.

Gamespy is loaded with spyware (mainly tracking cookies) that send back info to gamespy and IGN on what games your playing.

Also if you dont use the paid version you are bombarded with advertising and have to wait for the timed advertising to stop before you can even log onto the main server. Not my idea of a good online game experience.

Bad idea in my opinion. This is a good way to ruin a potentially great game. :(

oh god, please no. it is definately good way to ruin the games online experience. I shouldnt have to register and screw around with anything before I can play my god damm game online. I never use gamespy, and I dont want to start.

this really pisses me off, I hate having to register with some site that takes forever with numerous pages and loading before I can play. what a joke.

i think if they do use gamespy it will be like halo where it says "powered by gamespy" in the upper corner but is an in-game browser where you don't have to download gamespy (which i also hate), sign up, and there is no spyware with it to my knowledge because i use adaware and it never had anything from the halo install folder when i ran it after i installed halo. (the in game browser for halo powered by gamespy is what i was talking about previously)

just to say that i'm not disrespecting you Swoosh or anything, but my thread was started before yours if that is what you mean about being invisible on Lucasforums, again no disrespect just wanted to let you know that i was not ignoring your thread by creating this thread.

nothing to be sorry for as long as we cool. anyways back to topic, has anyone else played a game with an ingame server "powered by gamespy" cuz so far all i see is people bashing the gamespy server browser program which i don't think will be forced on anyone. also rereading the article it never mentions gamespy browser and ingame browsers. all the article states is

"IGN/GameSpy will supply LucasArts four distinct Software Development Kits (SDKs) toolkits that integrate with the company's games to provide matchmaking, community, administrative and networking functionality. In addition, IGN/GameSpy will offer LucasArts consulting and beta testing services. "

it seems that lucasarts will be creating its own browsers and server programs just with the help of gamespy tools.

I don't mind games running in Gamespy as long as they have an in-game browser as well.

Last year I got the Judge Dredd game for PC and you could only access multi-player through gamespy (no in-game browser) which meant nobody played in multi at all since it was too difficult for most people to work out.

Pity, as the game had some potential on-line.

Archived