Home

Invisible Caps!?!

OB1 KNOB

The caps on my model are all working except for the caps that appear on the hips when one of the legs gets cut off.

The caps on the severed legs appear properly but I just get the see-through holes on the hips.

I had linked the model according to SpaceMonkey's tutorial.

Also, the model is segmented right above the knee.

I would really appreciate help on this since I've tried several times to fix it and I'm currently out of ideas.

I think this is the XFORM error.

1-save your model

2-select the cap

3-pick xform from the TOOLS TAB (with the hammer)

4-click 'reset xform'

5-go back to the modifier stack

6-ADD a new 'edit mesh' modifier DO NOT SELECT THE PREVIOUS LAYER BELOW XFORM, if you do the cp will automatically move to its pre-mirror location and you will be forced to estor your save as this is not undo-able

7-expand the newly added edit mesh modifier and select faces

8-select ALL the faces in this mesh

9-click flip normals

10-either add a new skin layer to re-weigh the cap or drag the skin modifier layer below xform above the new edit mesh modifier (Clic-drag the skin modifier, dont select it for editing untill it is above the xform layer)

You can now collapse the stack up to the 'edit mesh' modifier above xform (but belo the skin modifier)

Dont switch the order of the steps... hope this helps.

I think I may have discovered the problem, but I want to know for sure, so I'm asking to see if anyone knows.

Some of the mesh parts were uvw mapped as one piece but afterwards I applied an Edit Mesh modifier to detach faces as a new piece.

The pieces missing caps were at the places that I had detached the faces. (I unwrapped the legs with the hips and the hands with the arms. The caps show up for the legs and hands but not on the arms and hips where the faces were detached.)

If this is the problem, where should I move the Edit Mesh modifiers in the stack to fix this? (I'll experiment to try and figure it out myself, but would appreciate feedback from anyone that knows for sure.)

If that was it, that was a really deceptive problem. :mad: Luckily I find them all.:rolleyes::mad:

I think that's it. The caps were named wrong. I compared mine with the Kyle Katarn model caps names and fixed a couple errors on the legs and hands.

They appeared grey in game so I still need to fix that (maybe unwrap them again.).

If I have any other problems with it I'll be back.

Thanks everyone!:)

EDIT: I figured out why they were grey in game at first....

I had fixed the names in 3ds Max but not in the skin file. Once I fixed that they appeared perfectly.

Silly oversight.:rolleyes:

Archived