Home

Mods

jimmycracker

I stumbled across this forum today, looked at the 'bouncing boobs' thread, rolled my eyes at some of the comments, then gawked at this quote from Jed, the 'super' mod.

And sorry for my post, but I need to remember that when you fight with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

*shrugs*

Oh, and another thing, am I rong or wrong? Two different meanings.

Wrong would imply I'm incorrect.

Rong would imply you suck at teh intarweb

And then, what did he do? He banned someone for flaming. It really doesn't seem justifiable to me, for (hopefully) obvious reasons.

Jed, your response? Am I taking this all out of context by some chance? Am I not getting the point?

PS. Please don't close this thread. I think moderation is a rather serious issue, which needs to be dealt with... and if one side is ignorant, he or she needs to be informed of the facts (note that can mean you or I, I'm not making a flame).

PSS. I made this into a thread as opposed to sending him a PM so he wouldn't use that as an opportunity to act irrational, overly-defensive or immature, because then none of the other members would witness that, in which case his credibility wouldn't suddenly drop.. (I don't know whether that'd be the case, but I didn't want to risk it.)

I think in that particular case the person Jed made those comments to and to who he eventually banned was someone who registered here that very day for the sole purpose of butting into that discussion. He was generally abusive to the other regulars who were genuinely trying to clearly express a point of view.

If it had been a long time regular who just got swept away in the heat of the moment, then perhaps Jed's actions might have been seen as too harsh and over the top. But in this case this person was clearly an "outside insurgent" who had never posted here outside the context of that thread and didn't have a history with this place, it's personalities, and it's accepted community standards.

So if the guy that butted in was a flamer... it's okay for a mod to flame back? That sounds quite immature to me, and not very mod-like.

Of course, I don't see anything wrong with it, as I don't plan on becoming a regular in these forums... but it still struck me as odd.

And if 'flaming mods' are an accepted community standard, so be it. I would just hate to see him as a mod on the forums I go to...

Mods are people too. They have every emotion that the rest of us have. When somebody you have never met comes out of nowhere to call you stupid and humorless, you tend to react. I know I would.

This guy came out of the gate calling Jed stupid in his very first post with no other frame of reference other than what had been written in that thread.

Had I been in Jed's position in that case I doubt that I would have reacted any differently,.. except maybe to ban that guy a lot sooner than he did. He was given a lot more 'second-chances' than I ever would have allowed.

My opinion:

Its okay for a mod to use not-so offensive flames to get his or her point across.....

I think Jed did the right thing.

And its not like his flame was that bad, far less worse than the **** "Reaps" was posting......

And like edlib said, Jed gave him so many chances, and he continued to be an ass-hat.......

So, guess what?

Jed wins!

well he kinda wins twice, cus one cant use the same email address to re-register, cus techically the account isn't deleted, jsut in suspended animation in other words

so thus by him re-registering, and most likey get banned again, there goes another email address he can use XP

Wait! Don't forget I said BlackDove had "foul smelling farts". I guess that makes me an immature flaming mod too. :)

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

besides, dealing with a certian brand of people all the time can make your posterior ache... :)

Lmfao! I simply love your way with words. :D

Hiya, everyone.

Hiya jimmy. See, here, I don't really see the big deal. Sure, it's immature, but you really think what I said was just as bad as what he was saying? I'd read the entire thread before you make a public thread to single me out.

PSS. I made this into a thread as opposed to sending him a PM so he wouldn't use that as an opportunity to act irrational, overly-defensive or immature, because then none of the other members would witness that, in which case his credibility wouldn't suddenly drop.. (I don't know whether that'd be the case, but I didn't want to risk it.)

Man, if you think you're "exposing" me as some major league fascist moderator that everyone hates, you're about 3 months behind the power curve. Welcome to yesterday. :p

I mean sure, if I was being an asshole to a regular community member, then it'd be kind of wrong. But someone who registers to a forum just to flame people...I dunno about you, but I don't have tolerance for that.

If it had come down to the guy actually being reasonable, it'd have never gotten that far. If I've offended you (how I'm not sure), then I'm sorry.

Feel free to pray/curse me to whatever underworld you believe in. If you're feeling less spiteful, Purgatory will be fine.

:)

AFAIK Reaps never played SW Games or visited this forum.

We know him from our clan.

Same as myself really..

Heh, not sure what to say about his purpose here, since I think we all signed up of our own volition, not under pressure from blackdove or whatever.

I personally felt that there should never be a position or situation in which a moderator is allowed to flame a forum member, no matter what that forum member has done...

Since it can so easily go bad so quickly.

Originally posted by jimmycracker

You could have emailed or PMed his superior, but I suppose that wouldn't bring about the sudden credibility drop you're aiming for either.

Originally posted by leXX

Wait! Don't forget I said BlackDove had "foul smelling farts". I guess that makes me an immature flaming mod too. :)

Yes it does.

As for Jed, at the last couple of Phwatching's posts, I would have banned him myself. He was morally correct half-ways (because Jed fueled it), but the fact that this place doesn't have perfect moderators is kind of a given, so I wouldn't hold it too much against him. I just thank god the administratorship is grown up.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

I believe that Phwack person was previously banned, an he re-registered, which you can't do if you're banned, just to start something in the thread. Jed was just messing with him. Like the predator with his prey :dev11:

Not only are you obviously unqualified to read, you also need some water so you can continue licking, because you have no saliva left.

For those of you people who didn't get the point about him being on these forums before, I was having a chat with him and this is actually a direct quote:

"Jed could never hope to outflame me, so he had to insinuate that he had previously owned me, and that i was 14 in order to maintain some credibility. Unsurprisingly he was lying as the last Star Wars game I played was X-wing vs tiefighter and I've never posted on any of these forums."

So that settles that issue to rest. Even though Jed is somewhat responsible for inciting flames, I don't think he cared about going at it with my boy here (because that super argument about writing RONG instead of wrong seemed too weak to be a flame O.o - maybe it was though), but if he did, then he would truly be getting the mad beat-downs.

Well, just to point out, if what I said lands a thread against me, imagine what would happen if I tried o_O

Yer all taking things too seriously...

And yea, about the whole thing with him, my computer did a houdini act on me...was looking at somebody else's profile, not his.

If you're still in contact with him, BlackDove, tell him I'm sorry about that part, but I still think he's an ass :D

Originally posted by leXX

Guess what? I don't give a ****. :)

Giant "Who cares?".

Also Jed, he has a reply for you (by the way, he WAS banned, can someone tell me if I can quote him or not?)

I dont care for his (Jed's) excuse of incompetence, all it means is that both him and SWP were wrong (surprised?) and no stupid smiley is going to soften the brutal blow of him calling me an ass. I dont try to defuse my insults so when i call him an unmitigated twat with delusions of grandeur there will be no colon and bracket following it.

So I guess the feelings are mutual.

Archived