Home

Convince me to get an Xbox

StormHammer

Well...go on then. Let's hear your arguments for the brick, and tell me why it's in my best interests to get one - keeping one factor in mind: I probably wouldn't use one for first person shooter type games, because I'm used to the hair-trigger response of a mouse/keyboard combo.

The reason why I need input is because I've been eyeing up games like Prince Of Persia, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Alias etc., and these type of games usually have a 'console control' feel to them - i.e., character moves towards camera, and you have to pan camera, etc.

Is it worth it? Are certain games better suited to the console rather than the PC - even if they are available on both? Should I wait for the Xbox mark II, or dive in and get the first one while it's cheaper? Should I just get a gamepad for these types of games on the PC?

Go on...convince me...

You won't be able to play xbox games on the xbox2 so if you wait for it you're gonna miss out on some really good games. :( The xbox is also having a price drop very soon as well.

Emperors Tomb was poorly executed. I really enjoyed the Buffy game they made with the Slayer engine but it was just severely screwed with Indy. Prince of Persia is a masterpiece and the controls are great on the Xbox. I'd rather play it on the Xbox over the pc. There's quite a few I'd rather play on the Xbox. Morrowind, GTA, Fable (I hope it rocks!), etc.

One of the big selling points of the Xbox for me was the fact that it didn't require save cartridges. Just save all ya want and never worry about. Another big thing for me was the fact that I can't run many of the new games very well on my current system. I don't know if you have a killer system or not. Then there's the dvd feature. You may already have a dvd player for a tv but it's nice to have the option to play them at another tv.

The PS2 is extremely overpriced now. The Gamecube is quite cheap now but it may not have the type of games that you like and I, personally, hate the controller for it.

it's bulletproof!

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6084935.html

here's a little excerpt...

According to the police report, Kersey emerged from his bedroom at 2 a.m. brandishing an automatic pistol. Rather than shoot his roommates, Kersey took aim at the offending Xbox and fired a single shot at the console. While the bullet's impact disabled the Xbox, its thick plastic casing deflected the 9mm round, which ricocheted away harmlessly.

Other than the Xbox, no injuries resulted from the incident.

I've heard rumors about the price dropping as low as $99 by the end of the summer.

If (and when) it does I'll get one. When the XBox2 hits the first gen games will get cheap cheap cheap too. Hard to go wrong.

Hey! Now I'm actually looking forward to it! :D

Oh Dear, Its only a matter of time until ET sees this, he gets very excited by the mean green machine.....

anyways, hello Stormie......

well Indy is a "scheisse" game..... I was quite excited about it, thank The Maker that I rented it first....... nothing special about it all..... worthy of a humungous MEH......

I dont know anything about the Alias game....

So, the decision depends on this.... what *other games* do you intend to play..... I myself am a big Final Fantasy Fan(can you tell ?), so I couldnt have gone without a PS2, to play the old and new FF games... I do have a GC now too, which I bought much cheaply, and play the Rogue Squadron games and the new Final Fantasy games on it...thats it.....

Things like the 'Return of tke King' game is better on the console IMO.... and the other saving grace of all consoles vs PC are .... SPORTS GAMES.... If you're the type of person who likes to have friends pop in and have a geat game of football/soccer/golf whatever, than consoles are very cool for this... I have weekly match days of FIFA soccer 2004 with 4 friends on the ps2 multitap..... great fun and a good larf....

I dont picture you as a FF fan though :p

Indy Jones is on PC too, looks better than console and not too awkward with a pc gamepad...

KOTOR is on the XB, but its much better on the PC :) (IMO)

and since you prefer the PC for FPS(and who wouldnt), I would only recommend a console(any console, let alone an XB) if there are very specific titles you want to play, *especially* multiplayer ones(usually sports games) that arent as fun on a pc....

good luck in making your decision !

mtfbwya

PS2:

+ selection of games, DVD feature out of the box

= Controler, Multi Play, every one has it

- ****y graphics, WAY OVER PRICED, almost to many games, only two player, and I think the controllers suck

Game Cube:

+ Very cheap, some Cube only games rock, small, four player

= ummm

- crappy controller, kiddy games, no multiplayer, no DVD, very few games, and none to look for ward to

XBOX:

+ Xbox Live, price drop coming soon, Halo and Halo 2, graphics and frame rate, four player, Hard Drive, controllers, many games that rock will be coming only on the xbox

= Xbox live costs but I hear every one loves it, EA games are not Xbox friendly (No xbox live), DVD needs a controller

- Big and heavy, but accualy it makes me feel like i have the 'Big One' :p

Xbox is the way to go!

Games: Halo 1 and 2, Morrowind, Half Life 2 (crosses fingers), Fable, Rainbow Six 3, Splinter Cell / PT looks best on Xbox (unless you have a beefy comp), Ninja Gaiden, JSRF, Mech Assault 1 and 2, Metal Arms (My favorite next to Halo), KotOR, Doom 3, Jade Empire, The Cronicles of Riddick, etc....

TiE

Thanks for all the responses, people. ;)

I'm teetering on the edge of getting an Xbox after holding out for so long. :D Just one more little shove... And thanks for clarifying that the Xbox 2 won't be backwards compatible, Rhett.

Other games I'd be considering would be:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2

LOTR: The Two Towers

007: Everything or Nothing

I'm not really into sports games at all. I guess I'm looking more at 3rd person action/adventure, and RPG type games.

Fable looks interesting, from what I've recently read and seen. Of course, Bioware's Jade Empire will be Xbox exclusive, and is definitely looking tempting...

Darnit...I'm nearly talking myself into this...

Originally posted by -ST-i_stinks

Don't ask me....I'm anti-Microsoft...

get a PS2 or whatever

I'm also an anti-Microsoft, though I use Windows ME, play AOE2TC, Flight Simulator, Own a Microsoft Mouse and Mousepad...

Get a PS2, GameCube, N64 or just wait for XBOX2 (Also known as X2) XBOX is kinda growing old you know...

Eh? Where are me dentures??

Yeah Stormie, I thought you were cooler than that, coming into the murky depths of the swamp to pick our warped brains thus :p

...it seems you have made up your mind..... to me you do seem like an XB person.....

Im too much a Final Fantasy fan to have not gotten the ps2.....

*equips ruby and unleashes eidolon phoenix......Monster HP damage 9999* ...um ...yeah :p

mtfbwya

Archived