Home

AGP or PCI motherboard slot

lukeskywalker1

All new motherboards with have the dark brown Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) which will probably be at least 4x if not 8x. Basically, motherboard makers came together with video chip makers to determine a new wa of making it so that the CPU wouldnt have to devote a PCI slot to make room for a video card, where a separate slot strictly dedicated to video cards would prove invaluable and make things more efficient and increase performance. Plus it would ease the computer builder's mind so that its one less thing to have to worry about when building a computer since only an AGP video card will go into that slot. And I can tell you now that with the ever-growing size of video cards, it should be the first thing you install after seating the motherboard in the PC case.

well, its not in the manuel, this is a new PC, but it has an onboard intel chipset (Intel Extreme Graphics 3D 82845G) so... yeah, it needs to be updated :D

So, in the pics, the dark one on the top is AGP? Hmm... looks like im going to need to open up the case and look. Is there any way to determine between 4X and 8X?

erm - are you like 12?

AGP is the shiznit - trust me - I was in this predicament about 8 years ago.....PCI Express won't be standarized for AT LEAST another year, and I'll be on the safe side and get one TWO years after the initial bugs are sorted out. Until then, go get a nice 4X AGP mother board - I have 8X on mine but trust me it gives a non-existent performance increase even with the absolute latest games...

I run a radeon 9700 Pro with no problems what-so-ever...

btw every AGP slot I've ever seen is brown - sorry I must have forgot about the whole "newb" thing...... It is also larger than PCI slots, and generally a bit seperated from the pci slots - just read the other posts here and look at the pics

*fades into the background*

Luke, DO NOT BUY THAT CARD! I bought the same card from Best Buy and it was lower than what I had (ATI Radeon 7500 64 DDR PCI). It sucked. There are adapters that you can buy to make pci to agp. Whether or not they work, I don't know. Haven't tried it yet.

oh well... the ram and CPU will have to make up for it (512 MB, 2.8 GHZ)

They won't - your computer can ONLY be as fast as your slowest component - in this case your card. It's a much more worthwhile effort to upgrade your mother board, reinstalle your hoardware, and hope you don't f$#& something up in the meantime. Unless you plan on playing Quake 3 alot, no PCI card will give you adequate performance

sorry PCI owners I'm currently not accepting any flames

I've heard nothing but really terrible, horrible things about the FX 5200

I just want something that can run my games.. i picked up the ROTK game (on sale, $20) so... i put it in, and well... wont run :( my card doesnt have all the features the game needs to run, sadly. And well.. they wont take a PC game back, because they think i copied the 3 CDs, the only way to take it back, is to exchange it for the same game

Unless you plan on playing Quake 3 alot

Beat it in like.... 3 or 4 hours... and got sort of boring, the lack of story has sort of stopped me from getting too much into it :(

I assumed the fx 5200 was good... because.. well.. the price was high. anyways.. ill google it.. and see.

ok, did a search, and found out that the main problem was installing it. But when they got it installed they said they could play games like COD, with high graphics, and few slow downs.

For example, if you dont uninstall your old drivers, you get a black screen :-/ hmmm... hope i dont get some weird problem...

In reply to the 4x/8x AGP...it makes a difference when it comes to brute transfer of data...newer games are still not using up all the bandwidth which is why the 4x/8x difference is minimal...try it with something like 3D Studio Max however and the performance benefits are clear. So it's best to get 8x because newer games are certainly going to start using it more and more.

As for the Geforce FX 5200, it's a pretty good card, I mean it'll let you run Deus Ex II....just (crappily designed game anyway, brings the best PC's to their knees); however it is the low end FX, it's like the MX series of the Geforce 2's and 4's. The best priced one usually is the 5600 which will give you pretty good performance, but for cinematic quality in real time you need the 5950, looks bloody amazing!

*awaits the ATI/NVidia war to begin*

Originally posted by teknoranger

I've heard nothing but really terrible, horrible things about the FX 5200

WHAT THE HELL??!! I told you I have the card... It only cost $80 and is direct X 9 compatible, and you told me that your 9700 sucks at x9 games! and your card still cost like $200! :confused:

I told you only good things about my card, i get a good 30 fps in Raven Shield and UT2003 with 1024 864 (Or something) and above average settings... In Morrowind, i use same rez with all setting maxed and i get 25-30 fps

Im only anoyyed but frame rates lower than 25 im more flexable :p

BTW lukeskywalker1, look for a better deal, cause i got the same card for $100 - 10 months ago

TiE

I'm on the FX5200 cuz I was in town, had the money and saw one, so I bought it!

I of course went straight to overclocking it from stock 250/400 to a more worthy 300/470 and it plays games fine for me. It also lets me use 3D Studio Max smoothly with my gate mesh loaded so I'm more than happy with it.

Originally posted by Tie 23

WHAT THE HELL??!! I told you I have the card... It only cost $80 and is direct X 9 compatible, and you told me that your 9700 sucks at x9 games! and your card still cost like $200! :confused:

I told you only good things about my card, i get a good 30 fps in Raven Shield and UT2003 with 1024 864 (Or something) and above average settings... In Morrowind, i use same rez with all setting maxed and i get 25-30 fps

Im only anoyyed but frame rates lower than 25 im more flexable :p

BTW lukeskywalker1, look for a better deal, cause i got the same card for $100 - 10 months ago TiE

The 5200 IS bad. I had a 5200 Ultra, and it would run every single DirectX9 game poorly(Kotor..I couldn't run frame buffer at all. :/). I can't understand how a 9700 Pro is bad though, my 9800 Pro is really powerful(60fps average in CoD with 2XAA and 16AF @ 1280x1024, on High). Little secret by the way, in almost every DirectX9 game, the game designers(and sometimes even Nvidia themselves) lower the quality to DirectX8 type shading(1.4 pixel shading, DirectX9 is 2.0 pixel shading), just to get acceptable framerates.

By the way Luke, could you give us a link to what motherboard you have? I'm suprised yours doesn't have an agp slot, that would mean it's extremely old.

Whats this pci express supposed to do?

In a nutshell, it's supposed to offer twice the bandwidth of Agp 8X.

Originally posted by teknoranger

erm - are you like 12?

*fades into the background*

If that was aimed at me...then no. I happen to be 36, I'm just a bit out of the tech-spec loop at the moment. I used to live and breathe tech a decade ago, but now I just can't be bothered keeping abreast of it all.

I do, however, know PCI Express is supposed to be coming out soon. I remember reading an article somewhere that suggested it would be implemented into mobo designs later this year. Which isn't really that far away, in the grand scheme of things.

So no need for personal attacks or 'ageism'. :p

Originally posted by StormHammer

If that was aimed at me...then no. I happen to be 36......

So no need for personal attacks or 'ageism'. :p

Damn these youngsters ! no respect for us old ppl.... Here Stormie, have some of my tonic water ! I'm off to watch Matlock.... :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by StormHammer

I do, however, know PCI Express is supposed to be coming out soon. I remember reading an article somewhere that suggested it would be implemented into mobo designs later this year. Which isn't really that far away, in the grand scheme of things.

yeah that is true, PCI x16 - double the speed of AGP x8.

so if anyone is thinking about buying a new graphics card i would wait awhile.

Originally posted by Siv

yeah that is true, PCI x16 - double the speed of AGP x8..

Just so everyone knows, PCI x16 won't be double the speed for a long time. We're barely even going over the bandwidth of AGP 4X, it'll easily be another year or two before AGP8X will go obsolete.

Archived