1. 1. Best episode?

• Fellowship of the Ring
    • The Two Towers
    • Return of the King

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kain

I like parts of different ones more than I liked others...wheres the 'Not Playing Favorites' option?

I'm with Kain on this one. You can really play a favorite here, since they all compliment each other and are linked together. Not like SW, I mean each of the movies has an ending where as LOTR doesnt really have an end until ROTK.

-Clemme

Think that the best overall was ROTK, but each of the other films do have great parts in them. FOTR had the scenes in Moria which where truly great. TTT had the battle of helms deep which was amazing. You can't really judge it really but if i must, then i must. I go for ROTK (with TTT and FOTR close seconds)

Originally posted by WadeV1589

Yeah it has to be RotK...did anyone NOT cry towards the end? :p

I haven't cried that hard in a long time. The icing on the cake was when...

Aragorn said "My friends, you bow to no one.", and everyone bowed before them.

I love them all, but I have to say ROTK has the edge for me. It is an absolutely amazing film that took me on an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish, and I cannot fault it.

You are asking the biggest LOTR fan of the last century, and the current one to pick out of three movie's which is the best, I did not vote because, apples oranges and bananas, there incomparable. I?ve been a LOTR fan since before I saw star wars, and the hobbit is one of my earliest memory?s , you guys can poke fun at me, but It won?t matter to me at all.

Wily

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Best. Line. Ever.

I cried for sure.

Even on the second time watching it, when I knew that line was coming, I kept saying to myself "I'm not gonna give into the tears, I'm not gonna give into the tears..."

Needless to say, it didn't work >>; They were all great films on their own, but ROTK was just the perfect ending, I couldn't think of how they could've done it better in just over 3 hours (I'm aware there'll be a lot of extra stuff on the EE ;) ).

LOTR - Probably the greatest film trilogy ever created.

Originally posted by leXX

I love them all, but I have to say ROTK has the edge for me. It is an absolutely amazing film that took me on an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish, and I cannot fault it.

Top of the cake, yes. That was the best part of the movie.

-Clemme

Basically, because I had no interest in seeing the movie when it came out. I didn't read much and tagged it "Not my type of film" before seeing it.

Then I went along with some mates because I was bored (plus everyone was giving it excellent reviews).

Blown away. Thought it was brilliant.

And of course many loose ends were left untied, so me being an impatient git, bought the book and read feverishly.

Although TTT and RotK were fantastic, they didn't have the impact the first film had on me, so don't get the vote. :)

Well, considering that I read the entire series 7 or 8 times before there were even rumors about the movies (and I read it again 1 or 2 times while waiting for the movies), I enjoyed several parts of each movie and was horribly disappointed in other areas.

I couldn't really choose which I liked best, though...

***Spoilers Ahead***

In The Fellowship of the Ring, I really enjoyed Moria - they did a great job with special effects, but they left out Tom Bombadil, who was one of my favorite characters. They made a pathetic attempt to blend some of his character with Fanghorn in The Two Towers (I think that was just on the special edition DVD), but it failed miserably. They also left out the Barrow-weights. I also was extremely disappointed in Elrond's Council - it was a major focal point in the book, but was reduced to a shouting match in the movie. Finally, I felt that they misinterpreted Galadriel's character, and they left out all of the gifts.

In the Two Towers, I didn't really like how they changed Fanghorn's character, and they left out the part when Gandalf confronts Saruman after the battle at Helm's Deep (or was that in ROTK...I get them confused sometimes). I thought the battle at Helm's Deep was really well done, though. They really gave Faramir the shaft, though. In the book, he was the total opposite of Boromir - noble and honorable. Even after he knew that Frodo had the Ring, he helped them and let them go. I was disgusted when they turned him into some kind of a villian.

In ROTK, they didn't really explain the Pilantir, or Aragorn's power over it. They left Aragorn's brother out (he was supposed to arrive with a bunch of Rangers & go with him through the Paths of the Dead). Also, the thing with Gollum turning Frodo away from Sam was unnecessary in my opinion.

Throughout the series, I was didn't really like the whole Aragorn/Arwen romance thing...Tolkein wrote it in an appendix, and personally, I think it was overdone in the movie (by the way, if I remember correctly, it was Galdwhir the Elf Lord who rescued Frodo after Weathertop, not Arwen...but whoever it was, it wasn't Arwen).

My biggest disappointment, though, was the ending. I found the ending to be horribly disappointing - they left so much out, but I'm not gonna tell you about it.

The moral of the story is, if you enjoyed the movies, you should read the books - they are so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much better it's unbelievable.

Dont' get me wrong...they made three great movies, and I enjoyed all of them (and own the first two on DVD), but the books are still better.

And that's my opinion.

Originally posted by leXX

That was my favorite part of the entire trilogy. It was a truly moving scene.

Archived