Home

New JKA Anims

keshire

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by razorace

Yeah, that's a great question. I'll have to have some time implimenting with some test codes before we can come up with the best solution. The problem we have at the moment is how to get the player entity origin to move in step with the animation so it looks right in game.

If you really want the hit detection then the only thing you can do is to make something like the "wallrun" animation. You have to make the model move. The animation won't have the pelvis bone moving. That's the best solution, but I think this requires a code part...

I hate to repeat myself cuz I look boring (and probably I am), and although these might look some noobish questions I need few help, for at least the first question:

The motion bone and the Pelvis bone can be seen in 3dsmax 5 (I've even made that animation which is really nice), indeed in XSI I can only see:

- Spine root

- motion eff

- motion root

- Pelvis_mesh (not a bone, a mesh)

Since I told you that The motion bone must stay where it is, but the Pelvis can be moved, Which should I move, and which should i "lock"?

Thanks in advance.

Edited - I've noticed even 2 more meshes: "mesh_rtail" and "mesh_ltail". Are they the meshes wher you bolt the weapons models?

Thank you all. Artful GIF animator is easy, although it's a trial. You might use Imageready (the one with photoshop), altohugh I still don't understand how does it work. Otherwise use Animation Pro 3 (the one with Paint shop Pro, that's the one I always use - cuz it's easy).

BTW, how did you get the whip to move? Different models?

OK, this is my MOD animations page. It's quite heavy, but if you have a fast connection or you're patient enough it's really worth of a look. There are many animations I'm working on, and although I've made the as GLA, I still can't get them merged. The animation look completely screwed up...

http://www.queez.com/jta/JtA-screens-anims-eng.htm

lemme know what do you think and if you can help me. I'll help if you want with new animations.

here's a doubt I had: should I make my own car file following usual instructions, or should I use the _humanoid.car file provided in the OJP project repository? Thanks for help and patience

If you really want to help the cause. You could help with some basic expansions to the player moveset.

Such as improved swimming anims

A forward dive where the landing can be split between ground and water.

Draw/holster variations.

A cool thing with the holster anim is you can make the hang_bone start wherever. Which I was thinking of doing a yoda type draw. The only thing is you have to realize that the saber ignites as its moving. So it can't be too slow.

OK, I'll work on some animations and I'll upload them to the site, so I'll show you what I did. Where shall I post the screens? Here or in some OJP forums?

*btw, it's time for me to get a bigger dictionary...

Well, I'm going to recommend you try to work with Keshire and coders to make sure you're creating stuff that can/will be ported into the game.

The only thing that has actually been coded in to the game so far is the basic ledge grab animation. The things I'd like at the moment:

Ledge Animation Set:

• Look into making a better ledge hold animation (the current animation looks weird at the shoulders)
  • shimmy left/right
  • Ledge Grab enter/exit animation
  • Ledge pull up

Saber Block Animations:

1. We need to come up with a solid set of block positions that can block saber attacks from each of of the possible directions

2. After we get that hammered down, we can then do transistion animations that really improve the look and feel of blocking.

It's important to remember that animations need to be created so that they assume that the game moves the player's origin instead of the animation.

Originally posted by razorace

Well, I'm going to recommend you try to work with Keshire and coders to make sure you're creating stuff that can/will be ported into the game.

The only thing that has actually been coded in to the game so far is the basic ledge grab animation. The things I'd like at the moment:

Ledge Animation Set:

• Look into making a better ledge hold animation (the current animation looks weird at the shoulders)
  • shimmy left/right
  • Ledge Grab enter/exit animation
  • Ledge pull up

Saber Block Animations:

1. We need to come up with a solid set of block positions that can block saber attacks from each of of the possible directions

2. After we get that hammered down, we can then do transistion animations that really improve the look and feel of blocking.

It's important to remember that animations need to be created so that they assume that the game moves the player's origin instead of the animation.

OK, got it. Actually I started working with a draw\holster animation for weapons like the blasters and the briar, and it's ingame, now. Next step for me is a decent draw\holster for the saber. It's not as easy as you might think, Keshire: I know that the saber ignites as it's moving, but... I dunnow how to explain. Just one: you can't do something like Yoda's animation (ep2 - Yoda vs. Dooku fight, right?), if you don't change every animation (like running, walking, jumping and so on). That might be done with a "switch weapon" animation. that would be cool, and I'll work on it soon. After this, I'll work on the ledge animation set. I'll do everything. I suppose I have to make different animations for "jedis " and "mercs", as Keshire said, right? OK, see ya soon. I'll post screens as soon as I'l lput ingame some decent animations ;):p

Actaully a lot of the animations are divided up into torso and lower animations. That way they can mix them up. The draw/holster and shoot anims are torso I believe. But Don't qoute me on that.

Also with the saber draw anim. It only plays once. So just have the saber start on one side and move to the hand. Make sure you end it so it meshes with the next anim. which would be the saber idle. Or both_stand2.

So you'd make a new anim called Both_YodaTo2

This would be the replacement to Both_stand1To2

The nice thing about this is all you have to do is code it in as a new enum and it can be used with an entry in the saber definition file.

Also with the ledge grab I've got a nice grab, shimmy, and merc pull up (since you worked on a jedi pullup). Shoot me a pm with your email address and I'll send you the xsi if you'd like to pick off where I left off. I'm sure you have more time than I do. :)

I'll handle block positions

OK, as you wish :) . I'm curious to see the draw\holster animation I'll make. I'll surely do something similar to Yoda's. Maybe I'll make an avi of an in-game section.

BTW, believe me. I never know how much time I have. School's fault. Sometimes I study the whole day, and sometimes I'm not doing anything...so I animate :D . PM coming and BTW:

1 post more, Keshire and you're at 500!!:p

Archived