Home

Cracked up is not what it is to be

JofaGuht

I remember a post a long time ago I think on the GFN....I forgot who it was but they asked "which game should I buy?" And s/he put it in these choices: Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig.

Now I did like Dig, even though everybody hated it, but I suggested Full Throttle, for it is an awesome game. I hadn't played DOTT but I always kind of wanted to (it having Schafer's name on it) but everybody said that Full Throttle was too short and that DOTT was a lot better.

I have finally played the game and now realize that I disagree with that opinion...why am I posting a thread about an opinion? Well, I'm an obnoxious asshole, that's why. But I just wanted to say to whoever posted the "which game should I buy?" thread that everybody is WRONG WRONG WRONG and that I'm the only person in the world that is right about anything. And I say that DOTT was too cartoonish and Full Throttle was awesome.

Thanks for letting me vent. But just let me say, "To each their own" and that their own is wrong and my own is true fact. I never really got that saying....

But with all sillyness aside, in my factual opinion, DOTT was kind of fun but Full Throttle is awesome....

Currently I have finally gotten around to playing SamNMax, which is pretty cool. I love the random sayings of Sam.

full throttle was cool man but too linear and more like a playable movie.

but DOTT.. DOTT

DOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! not. it is complete funny and all that.

you even can play maniac mansion if you get bored..

however.. it's your opinion.

hey yufster!! YOU should decide which one is the BANGER. i mean you have the ultimate knowledge about tim's naked bodyadventure games.

yeah.

bring us teh truth!

It's true, there was more people to talk to, and locations to go through. In fact, rayjones, I don't think our opinions are too different. I just focus on a different aspect, and I like the fact Full Throttle was more of a playable movie. But I've always been more of a movie buff than a gamer.

So all in all, Full Throttle was just a better movie than Day of the Tentacle. haha. And I don't stretch "liking" the dig. It was just cool. The ending was to happy though. And I disagree with fake Austrian accents.

So all in all(yes, I'm doing ANOTHER "all in all") Grim Fandango left both of those games in the dust. Even though Psychonauts will probably do the same thing to Grim.

DOTT taught us something real about history that's what made it so great. I had no idea that Ben Franklin was afraid to go out in stroms with his kite, or that Washington's chattering teeth caused them to light a fire at the Constitutional convention.

What? The Dig? I liked it, but haven't played it since like 8th grade, and I'm in college now. Of course the fact that the moon moving puzzle was like mind numbingly hard for me back then pretty much garunteed I'll never get up the guts to play it again. I do own the novelization though. $5 for the hardcover, how could I say no?

Originally posted by Skinkie

do own the novelization though. $5 for the hardcover, how could I say no?

The book wasn't a novelization. The game was based on the novel. The writer, Alan Dean Foster is a very well-respected science fiction writer.

How can the game be based on the novel?

As Skinkie said, both were the end product of a six-year process of development on Steven Spielberg's original idea for a TV episode. He gave the concept to LEC since he realized it would cost way too much money to do as a TV show or movie.

(But we don't know how well the original idea resembled the final product at all. I'd say there was a good deal that was changed.)

And if the game had been based on the novel, there would never have been the weird stuff that came up during Brian ("Loom") Moriarty's time on the game as project leader, such as the astronauts all being transformed into left-handed people by entering the asteroid, and the creation and later removal of the extra character, Toshi Olema.

Archived