Home

Microsoft to save sam & max?

Undead_Ted

Take a look at this:

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/

Scroll down the pagea bit to see the report...or here it is if you're especially lazy...

---

Microsoft to Save Sam and Max

Posted by King Prawn @ 8:21 a.m. NZST

Microsoft announced today that it had reached an agreement with Lucasarts and would be publishing Sam and Max: Freelance Police exclusively on the Xbox. The game was most of the way through its development when it was cancelled unexpectedly almost a month ago. Microsoft have recruited LucasArts alumnus Justin Chin (Dark Forces/Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight) to oversee the completion of the game, now expected in the fourth quarter of 2004.

The follow up to the critically acclaimed 1993 adventure classic Sam & Max Hit the Road will dispatch the Freelance Police into a wild world of screwy and vaguely quixotic missions. Each one will be jam packed with nerve-jangling action, brain-busting puzzles, and the kind of easygoing banter one might expect from a talking dog and a naked, hyperkinetic bunny.

The sequel moves away from the point-and-click nature of the original to make both Sam and Max fully moveable characters. In addition to the singleplayer adventure Freelance Police will also feature a cooperative multiplayer mode, with two players taking control of both of the main characters. Sam and Max: Freelance Police will also take advantage of Xbox Live with an online co-op mode and downloadable content promised.

---

Well there you go.

Originally posted by James Isaac

If it were april fools they probably would have said that it was coming back on the PC. Because that's what everyone wants.

I don't want a ****ty Tomb Raider clone infact. :(

Sounds like Full Throttle 2 to me. :)

An obvious April Fools. :p

Firstly, Sam & Max: Freelance Police is developed on and for the Windows platform.

Secondly, there is no information about this on Microsoft's site, hence the news is false since it says "Microsoft announced today...". They didn't.

It has that air of April Fools-ness in it. First of all, a game 80% complete couldn't have it's engine turned around and done a different way. Because it would totally hamper the puzzle-solving. To change the engine you have to give the game a complete make-over. Second of all, if it was true, it would be on the Lucasarts and Microsoft websites, which it isn't. Last of all, I don't have an XBox, and if this was true and released, I'd get an XBox emulator for my PC instead because Microsoft doesn't deserve any of my money.

Just because Lucasarts has said nothing today does not mean they'll un-cancel it in the future.

Originally posted by Brushguy

It has that air of April Fools-ness in it. First of all, a game 80% complete couldn't have it's engine turned around and done a different way. Because it would totally hamper the puzzle-solving. To change the engine you have to give the game a complete make-over. Second of all, if it was true, it would be on the Lucasarts and Microsoft websites, which it isn't. Last of all, I don't have an XBox, and if this was true and released, I'd get an XBox emulator for my PC instead because Microsoft doesn't deserve any of my money.

Just because Lucasarts has said nothing today does not mean they'll un-cancel it in the future.

Plus, if MS really did intend to do what the fake news said, they'd have to first port the 80% complete code to XBox and then finish it, then turn the engine around to whatever they needed for the action parts.... all in all, major work while the game is already 80% completed for the Windows platform, so why not release it on that... nope, this news doesn't make sense, therefore it must be an April Fools joke.

And I can only agree on the "I'm not getting an XBox for this" part, Brushguy.

I still hope against hope that LucasArts will un-cancel the game. Even though it's pretty clear to me that the cancellation was not a joke, by now they may have heard enough to be inclined to try and please the many disgruntled fans. We'll have to wait and see.

It was set to come out on X-box anyway (as well as the others) but microsoft wouldn't co-op with LA and only bring it out on one platform, especially since Microsofts primary market is the PC (not for just gaming obviously, but even still).

April fools joke and to tell you the truth, I was expecting it.

(I managed to get one in today, I managed to convince a friend at school that a huge 150 page detailed database project was due in today. Lasted all of two seconds, but it was worth it for the look on his face within that half second :D )

I'm sure the xbox was designed to be easily portable from/to the PC platform (in order to make the development of games for it easier for developers). The thing that sounds fake is the 2-player whaddya-ma-callit -- the last thing ever found in an adventure game... but one that COULD work in theory with this particular game, oddly enough.

Other games have done similar things, Lost Viking for instance. So long as Sam N Max were never separated, only one could examine things... errr, actually it's a stupid and totally unworkable idea! Scrap that!

The problem with adventure games is that they have very little replay value (except for nuts like us), although the news sounds extremely fake, it would be a great idea to try an incorporate replay value with 2-player modes or extra "action" games involving the characters, exactly how good these games would be is a different matter (how many people reguarly play "Highway Surfing"? - not for real, mind).

Archived