Archonon

Originally posted by Tinny

dude, look at the url, its not on the lucasarts site

Dude click the url, or here is what the site says:

Availability: Fall 2004

Genre: Action

Platform: PC, Macintosh, XBox

ESRB: Rating Pending

Star Wars Dark Forces Gold gives you the chance to relive the LucasArts classic Dark Forces using the Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy engine. Join the Rebel Alliance's covert operations division, infiltrate the Empire, then battle every man and machine the Imperial Forces can muster. Search a vast galaxy for clues, attack enemy bases - all in a desperate attempt to stop the activation of the Empire's fearsome new weapon: The Dark Trooper.

Press Release

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. - March 31, 2004 - LucasArts officially announced today the exciting details regarding Star Wars Dark Forces Gold, a recreation of the classic game Dark Forces based in the Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy engine due out this fall for the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft, the PC and Apple® Macintosh. Star Wars Dark Forces Gold will allow gamers to play through the original Dark Forces with the added benefit of the modern gaming environment found in the latest Jedi Knight engine.

LucasArts had recently been involved in talks with the leader of the Dark Forces Mod for Jedi Academy, Dave Turner, regarding an acquisition of the modification's progress. These talks were finally closed today, and LucasArts will absorb the modification and its team members in order to produce Star Wars Dark Forces Gold. Mr Turner said "this is an extremely exciting opportunity for us" and concluded "with the funding of an established gaming studio like LucasArts, the possibilities for this project just increased ten-fold."

The Dark Forces Mod for Jedi Academy was founded in June 2002, with the intention of creating the modification for Jedi Outcast. The team made significant progress in a number of areas, finally releasing a demo of their work in November 2002. LucasArts took an interest in the project after seeing the results of the initial release and decided to enter into talks with the project's leadership. "We saw the modification was filling a fundamental gap in the market, and decided to offer Mr Turner and his team an opportunity to continue the project with the backing of LucasArts and all its various resources" said Mike Nelson, Acting General Manager and VP of Finance and Operations.

Star Wars Dark Forces Gold will function as a stand alone product, and will add extra content above and beyond a simple recreation of Star Wars Dark Forces. The game will ship with multiplayer functionality across all three platforms, and include modes such as "Deathmatch", "Capture the Flag" and "Assault." The Single Player experience will also be improved, allowing for extra objectives in missions, newly rendered cutscenes, and enhanced architecture throughout the game's 14 levels.

Developed and published by LucasArts, Star Wars Dark Forces Gold will be optimised for the PC, and offer gamers across all three platforms a unique and nostalgic playing experience. For more information, please visit the official product website.

About LucasArts

LucasArts, a Lucasfilm Ltd. company, is a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software worldwide for video game console systems and PC. Based in Marin County, Calif., as well as on the Internet at http://www.lucasarts.com, LucasArts was created in 1982 by George Lucas to provide an interactive element to his vision of a state-of-the-art, multi-faceted entertainment company.

Lucasfilm Ltd. is one of the world's leading film and entertainment companies. Founded by George Lucas in 1971, it is a privately held, fully integrated entertainment company. In addition to its motion-picture and television production operations, the company's global activities include Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, serving the digital needs of the entertainment industry for visual-effects and audio post-production, and Lucas Licensing, which manages the global merchandising activities for Lucasfilm's entertainment properties. Additionally, Lucas Online creates Internet-based content for Lucasfilm's entertainment properties and businesses. Lucasfilm's motion-picture productions include five of the 20 biggest box-office hits of all time and have received 19 Oscars and 53 Academy Award nominations. Lucasfilm's television projects have won 12 Emmy Awards. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in Marin County, Calif.

So either Lucasarts is revamping DF the way Gamecube did with Resident Evil or it's a pretty elaborate prank like AOTCTC's takeover stunt.

It's an April Fools joke, and it's *not* elaborate. They just copied a LucasArts product page and wrote up a stereotypically vague press release. See how it's not mentioned anywhere on the LucasArts page? That's because what you're looking at is a seperate page hosted on the jediknight.net server, where their mod page used to be (and still will be).

kthxbye

Damn it! Can't a guy have fun with a April Fools Joke??? Jeez you guys really take all the fun out of it!!!

I know it's a prank, it's obviously JO looking at the screenies in the page.

And it was fairly elaborate, they made it look failry official, so salutes the DF Mod team :p

AUGH! I HATE these april fools jokes, they get our hopes up then pull the carpet from under us, I think I'll find the descendant of the person who invented this sadistic holiday and run him over with a truck. I wanted this as a real released game so bad! because from what I hear, they're still making it for JO, and NOT JA.

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

No, it's for JA. They converted it over as soon as possible.

Ahh, it showed it in a few places on the site as a mod for jedi outcast, that must have been forgotten when they changed it to JA, STILL I'd prefer it as a seperate release.

*goes back to renting a truck online and searching for a paticular person's decendant to use it on*

Originally posted by Archonon

Damn it! Can't a guy have fun with a April Fools Joke??? Jeez you guys really take all the fun out of it!!!

I know it's a prank, it's obviously JO looking at the screenies in the page.

And it was fairly elaborate, they made it look failry official, so salutes the DF Mod team :p

You need to get a job and do something useful with your time. Loser. :hang1:

I'm sure you were being sarcastic MW, but I have to laugh (and disagree).

Expansions for JO? I haven't seen a one. What expansions have been made? None that I can recall.

Besides, it was a joke, Dark Forces Mod is just that, a MOD (made by fans, with no money and no official backing) for JO.

The Q3 engine doesn't "suck big time ass" does it? Compared to what?

There are no other Jedi games using non Quake engines except JK1, which used its own engine, from 1997.

So we really have nothing to compare it to. If you want it on the Doom3 engine, well we currently have no games on that engine yet and even if they started now, a Jedi game on that engine would take several years to complete (and do it right).

It's not the engine, it's what you do with it (*Insert polemics from Half Life/Deus Ex fanatics here*)

I predict by the time you see a Jedi game on the Doom3 engine people will be saying that [Doom3] engine has started to "look dated" or "show its age."

The Q3 engine still looks great. I will never get tired of Jedi Knight games made in it.

I've been wanting the Dark Forces mod to be completed. But I have my doubts that will happen. I'm not going to worry about it anymore. If it gets completed fine but if it doesn't then oh well.

Archived