Home

Learn to drive with games?

Weiser_Cain

Hey, It just occured to me that I'm pretty old to not be able to drive. Somehow I missed this part of the universal adolescent experience.

Anyway I'm looking for a game that most realisticly simulates drving under normal and extreme conditions(read racing(read for fun)).

Also, any reccomendations for a wheel would be appreciated.

Well games from acclaim like burnout seem quite good, don't think you can gat it on pc though.

to be honest I dont think any game comes close to simulating driving.

make sure you get a wheel with force feed back though (not one of those stupid ones with a vibration thing though) that way you should be able to "feel the road".

Hmm I should have stated that I only have a pc. Could you give me an example of a wheel you like?

to be honest I dont think any game comes close to simulating driving.

Why do you say this? What is the diffrence?

I just want to avoid running over any fire-plugs...or children when I actually get around to learning.

Oh and thanks for the help so far...

Well the reason that these games don't come close to driving is that they try to make them fun, It wouldn't be a good game if you crashed realisticly, take the midtown madness series for example, You can just bounse off walls rather than spining out and coming to a halt whan you hit them, in most cases I would say the handaling and game physics in general is not that good. Revolt (Acclaim again) is good but that one quite accuratly represents driving raidio controled cars.

as for the wheel, I don't play racing games that much and I havn't got one so I can't recomend a wheel. there must be reiew sites online though.

i think all computer games help with driving, especially driving games. they all help tune your reflexes and hand-eye coordination. of course the downside is that you don’t have to worry about driving safety and crashing. which may effect your judgement when you’re in a real car.

if you want a good driving game then i would go for need for speed underground, i love that game.

Originally posted by legameboy

Wee... yeah, I'm gonna play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City to help me learn how to drive! :p

Hehe, fun stuff.

Yeah, guaranteed to make you an excellent driver.

In fact, I often play it after I've had a driving lesson - helps let the anger of the road out ;) Never played it before though...

Originally posted by Weiser_Cain

Why do you say this? What is the diffrence?

I just want to avoid running over any fire-plugs...or children when I actually get around to learning.

If you drove you would know the difference. You need to pratice, no game, no matter how good it is will help. Just pratice until it "clicks" and you feel comfortable driving.

Well, from what I gatherd in your first (and second) post you created this thread to find a driving video game with a wheel-controller that simulates real life driving as close as possible. Then you mention that you don't drive yourself...but imply you want to use these games to pratice for real life driving(which scares me, I wouldnt want you on the road knowing that.) I just gave some helpful advice and my opinion, its up to you how you want to take it.

As far as the difference between real life driving and video game driving. You shouldnt need me to tell you why its different, its common sense. Its like somebody saying "I play Ghost Recon with some gun attachment (like a high tech duck hunt gun) every day so that when I shoot pistols in real life I am accurate and good with them." It just doesnt work, its not feasable.

If you are trying to find a good wheel for video games then go for it. But I don't understand why you mention you don't drive in real life, and then say you want to learn to via video games.

First off, playing ghost recon with a gun attatchment will improve you're aim. Second I asked for advice on games 'that most realisticly simulates drving', nowhere do I state 'find me a good game that I can play insteads of reading the stupid and boring 'rules of the road'.'

You didn't give me advice about what I asked you just tried to discourage me.

I meantioned I can't drive because it's generaly important to know something about the situation a person is in when you help them, and it also sets up the reason behind this topic.

Lastly stop saying 'it's common sense' if it's supposedly common I'd either know it or I can just assume you're calling me stupid. Common sense dictates that if I haven't driven before I wouldn't know what you seem to think is so obvious.

I'd either know it or I can just assume you're calling me stupid.

Both, I think, actually. But regarless of that, a decent driving sim like I said, is the Gran Turismo series. Good car physics and what not. No fancy-schmancy-sh*t with hand breaks. Or crazy stunts.

Common sense dictates that if I haven't driven before I wouldn't know what you seem to think is so obvious.Common sense dictates that if I haven't driven before I wouldn't know what you seem to think is so obvious.

Whenever you get through talking sh*t, I'm sorry to inform you that knowing how to drive is "COMMON SENSE". We're not talking about a four year old failing to get accepted into the space program, ffs.

If it were common sense why would anyone need to learn and be tested?

Certian aspects of driving are common sense. They test you to see if you have a good feel for driving a real car. If you know what you are doing or not and how well you drive under pressure. You don't learn that because its common sense, you learn that from experience. Just like a baby learning to crawl, they usually don't get it at first but over time they will.

As far as video game wheels, I am no good with them. Even though I only used one on a few games, onw which is what I think is probably one of the hardest driving games, Nascar thunder 2003 and 4. They were kinda cool though in Nascar you were able to hold your car steadier than with the joystick on the PS2 controller. I also tried it on another racing game, cant remember what it was, it was more of a japanese-style car racer and for that game, the wheel made it 100x more difficult. If you wanted me to compare the video game wheel to the wheel of a real car...I would just say their totally different. But I'm not condeming any of the two.

Hmmm, I kind of like being called cowboy...

Listen I never intended this to really be a substitute for driving school. I can't go to school right now, I'm busy. This is just something to do until I get around to it properly.

Ok everyone, thanks for the suggestions on games, now any suggestions for a force feedback wheel?

Games don't really help you in real-life that much, like someone said earlier, developers try to make them fun, not realistic.

I play FPS games ALL the time, all types too. Some of them try to make you compensate your aim for your character's shaking or breathing and it just doesn't even come close to real life because I also shoot real guns, in real-life you have to deal with the weight, wind, distance, breathing, muscle tensing, squeezing the trigger instead of pulling it so your shot is accurate, distractions, steadying (so you don't slowly lower the gun then move it up real quick to the target, or pop a shot off while sweeping over the target and hope your close). You have to take EVERY single one of those things into consideration before even firing one bullet, in a game you just point and shoot. There's a HUGE difference

Driving a simulator and a real car is the same way. In a real car you have to watch for other reckless drivers, stupid pedestrians who think "All these cars will stop for me cuz I'm a badass", distractions (looking at a store or car and then you realize you just rear-ended someone or you're drifting into oncoming traffic), stop lights, stop signs, speed limit, and many other things so you don't hurt yourself or others.

FOR THE KIDS WHO DON'T DRIVE YET:

Don't think that just because you bought the best feedback wheel on the market and have the most "realistic" sim to date, that it will make you a kickass driver when you get the chance, the only way to be a good driver is to get experience, there is NO other substitute for the actual thing, regardless of what others say. Just remember that the real world will kick your ass harder and faster than any game ever.

Archived