Home

Ledge Grabbing

razorace

Keshire has hooked us up with some ledge grabbing animations and I'd like some feedback on how we can handle ledge grabbing, especially the pullup part of the coding.

Does anyone want to handle the coding implimentation of ledge grabbing?

Just some quick questions regarding this:

Is this a feature that all players will be capable of or just Jedi for example?

If it's just Jedi, do the animations look like the player is using the Force to pull themselves up (like Obi-Wan in The Phantom Menace in the reactor core) or does it look like they are pulling themselves up with their muscles?

Maybe there could be two versions that can be performed dependant on the players Force Jump level. Non-Force users pull themselves up with physical strength and Force users pull themselves up with the Force.

Would this also help with the Dodge Rolling issue for rolling off cliffs, like when someone rolls off would they grab the ledge?

Would there be the ability to shimmy?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I don't know how much is within reason with the code and I'm just curious about the functionality and had some suggestions.

Oh, and I'm sorry I can't help with the code.:(

• 2 weeks later...

so how would other players react to the player hanging from the ledge?

i mean any context sensetive moves like maybe a low slash that slices their hands causing them to fall?

or maybe a taunt like darth maul does to obi wan where he slices along the ledge making sparks?

Originally posted by zag

so how would other players react to the player hanging from the ledge?

i mean any context sensetive moves like maybe a low slash that slices their hands causing them to fall?

or maybe a taunt like darth maul does to obi wan where he slices along the ledge making sparks?

They pee over the edge causing 10 damage per second, with a maximum of 10 seconds. Targeting is automatically off for male models, of course. :D

Impressive! That will definitely be a very welcome new feature.

I had another thought about this topic:

Will there be any limitations imposed on hanging? Meaning: could someone could hang over a ledge like that for an entire round (it'd be pointless to do so, but someone might :rolleyes: ) versus having some sort of grip gauge or something?

I'm not saying that there should be a gauge, or any penalty for that matter, I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts.

If players still have the ability to attack others hanging on ledges, penalties may not be necessary, since those that choose to hang, rather than play, would effectively be penalizing themselves.

Sorry, if I'm getting a little bit ahead here, since it's still in development. It might be a good issue to resolve early on, however.

I really like those shots though. It conjures up new intriguing strategies. :)

same penalties as holding onto a wall.

But I'm currently working on a shimmy and pull-up anims to go with it. This is more of last ditch effort if you can't jump far/high enough.

Plus we're trying to expand the possible states a player can be in.

I hope to expand on the swimming crouching and stuff like that.

Will there be the ability to simply drop? To lessen damage from a fall (slightly redundant for a jedi who can simply use force fall but for a non jedi might be useful)

Looks brilliant so far.

I think prehaps draining fatigue might be best. Slightly more realistic (Your arms get tired) However if might mean you leap up with no ability to swing a saber...

Originally posted by lonepadawan

I think perhaps draining fatigue might be best. Slightly more realistic (Your arms get tired) However it might mean you leap up with no ability to swing a saber...

That's true. As long as it doesn't drain too fast, I think you should be able to hang for a reasonable time before being required to either get up or let go. (Unless you get into a hanging position when you're low on fatigue, but that would be silly.)

What about the possibility of pushing off of the wall and jumping in the opposite direction? I know that would be more work to do, but it would give more options to people in the hanging position. It could give people hanging the ability to get out of a dangerous situation, rather than face either climbing back up where someone is waiting for them, or dropping to their death (depending on the drop). I'm not condoning players who run away from imminent death all the time, it's just a possible strategy. :)

Also, it was discussed how to handle attacking people hanging down on a ledge. I think a possible solution would be enabling the stab down moves that are capable when someone is lying on the ground. They seem like they would look appropriate and be effective as well. (It wouldn't require any new animations, which is also a plus. :))

Yeah, I've been considering the wall jumping thing myself. We will see.

As for attacking the ledge hangers, I don't think it's a big deal but I think the best solution would be to just do the downward jump stab that you do against people on the ground. However, this might be a problem since the hit bbox on a ledge hanger is probably going to be weird.

Originally posted by razorace

Yeah, I've been considering the wall jumping thing myself. We will see.

As for attacking the ledge hangers, I don't think it's a big deal but I think the best solution would be to just do the downward jump stab that you do against people on the ground. However, this might be a problem since the hit bbox on a ledge hanger is probably going to be weird.

Yeah, that's what I meant, about stabbing down. Maybe for now, it could be set aside and you can see if it's a gameplay problem or not once the next Beta is out. If it's too easy to abuse the hanging feature, stabbing down could be implemented to serve as a balance. Players can still point down and swing so it's not like they are totally out of reach.

About the accuracy issue, the stabbing down that's already performed in-game seems to auto-target to a certain degree. If the feature were necessary, could the accuracy of the stab be increased for ledge grabs without affecting the regular stabs? Or would that be more trouble than it's worth?

Well there's a possible and easy enouh to animate solution to the attack the ledge hanger "problem".

Ya all know the taunt (can't remember which) in which a single blade saberist sticks the saber in the ground and leaves it there?

Well you could simply borrow the frames up to the point where the saber get's stuck... then just find a nice getting up alternative... try just switching back to the normal getting up from a crouch anim... it might work.. or at least do as a substitute for the time being.

If this were an Indiana Jones Mod I'd say the following should happen...

If they switch to melee and hit attack near the ledge grabbed individual, all their "attacks" should use an animation of stomping on their fingers with their boots. Tap the button and you can stomp repeatedly on their hands.

This would do some damage AND allow them to drop one hand after a few hits then both, making them fall.

Add in another animation of the ledge grabbed person (if they can tap the button quickly enough) to grab the LEG of the stomper.

This would then go into a "saber lock" type of grabble thing, with both players tapping attack to try to gain supremecy. The winner stays, the loser falls. ; )

Hey, if you're going to go this route, I say GO ALL OUT!

i'm no modder but i had plans for being one, and this was exactly what i had in mind. in the level with the rancor on nar kreeta i think, at the beginning you see jaden grab the mouth of the pipe and do that cool flip up onto it. i thought about something that would put that in since the animations were already there, but like i said i don't know much about modding. cool that you did it though :)

No can do. We checked those animations out and the problem with them is that the animation are way offset from the model origin.

I like Kurgan's idea but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. The problem is that ledge grab is probably not going to be used that often or for long enough where the attacker would have time to strike at the person's hands.

My question is, what would be the conditions for getting a wall grab to occur? Could a jedi run up a wall, then grab a ledge? If the jedi rolls backwards too far, would he be able to grab the ledge?

I know, damn my Ninja Gaiden addiction.

What about the possibility of pushing off of the wall and jumping in the opposite direction? I know that would be more work to do

Come to think of it, couldn't you modify the wall grab -> blind back jump animation already in JA to the point where a person is hanging from the ledge, he pulls himself up to the wall grab animation (don't know how much it needs to be modified), then initiates the back jump?

Archived