Home

A new graphic card, but which?

Sabretooth

My dad's gonna go for a full system upgrade now (not full, partial). To start off, this evening I'm gonna go from 256 to 512 MB Ram.

Then, in perhaps June-August I'll buy a new processor (P4, 2.4 Ghz).

My next goal is to buy a new graphic card. Currently, I have a crappy nVidia Riva TNT2, I wanna upgrade, but I don't know which one to choose.

I want a G Card that can support-

DX-Invisible War

Call o Duty

Homeworld 2 (Yeah)

and some other new games...

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by sabretooth

My dad's gonna go for a full system upgrade now (not full, partial). To start off, this evening I'm gonna go from 256 to 512 MB Ram.

Then, in perhaps June-August I'll buy a new processor (P4, 2.4 Ghz).

My next goal is to buy a new graphic card. Currently, I have a crappy nVidia Riva TNT2, I wanna upgrade, but I don't know which one to choose.

I want a G Card that can support-

DX-Invisible War

Call o Duty

Homeworld 2 (Yeah)

and some other new games...

Any suggestions?

Those games run best on nvidia cards, so maybe go for the FX 5200, its cheap and good, if you're an ATI fan go for the Radeon 9600.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

maybe go for the FX 5200, its cheap and good, if you're an ATI fan go for the Radeon 9600.

The Fx5200 sucks, believe me, I had a 5200 Ultra even and it well..sucked like a vacuum cleaner on steroids.:/

If you're an Nvidia fan, go with a 5700. If you're an Ati fan, go with a 9600 Pro.

Originally posted by Tyrion

The Fx5200 sucks, believe me, I had a 5200 Ultra even and it well..sucked like a vacuum cleaner on steroids.:/

If you're an Nvidia fan, go with a 5700. If you're an Ati fan, go with a 9600 Pro.

Hey the 5200 is a good choice if you want a card that is cheap and good enough to last at least 1 year and upgrade again.

Hey the 5200 is a good choice if you want a card that is cheap and good enough to last at least 1 year and upgrade again.

A 5200 is at least 100 dollars, for a mere 100 dollars extra you could buy a 9800 Pro from newegg!

Originally posted by Tyrion

A 5200 is at least 100 dollars, for a mere 100 dollars extra you could buy a 9800 Pro from newegg!

So the 9800 pro would be like about $200+ after paying all the shipping/handling and GST? Well i think it would be a good choice, because its above $500 at the store.

The 5200 isn't too bad for the older games, but it does lack in power for newer ones. Looking at the ones you're going for hit at least a 5700 if you dont' want to have to upgrade in a year when you hit games like Q4 and doom3. the ATI's are technically better - as in, on a technical level - but are more expensive and many games run the nvidia's better. If you're into pricey, pick up the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, though that'll probably run you at least 250.

Originally posted by The Cheat

i would suggest the 5700 from nvidia

This is what I have and I am very happy with it. It has very nice performance at a decent price (mine was about $250 cdn). It runs KOTOR and JA very nicely with everyhting maxed. Dynamic glow sure makes JA look a lot better, especially the lightsabers...

So the 9800 pro would be like about $200+ after paying all the shipping/handling and GST? Well i think it would be a good choice, because its above $500 at the store.

Above 500? Us dollars, you mean? Man, when I got one at Frys, it was 300 dollars(and this was in December).

Originally posted by Prime

This is what I have and I am very happy with it. It has very nice performance at a decent price (mine was about $250 cdn). It runs KOTOR and JA very nicely with everyhting maxed. Dynamic glow sure makes JA look a lot better, especially the lightsabers...

Yeah i have the same card just got it in october last year, i got it for like about $340 (SGD)

Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit

I say go with the 128MB ATI Radeon 9600XT... the nVidia FX 5200 sounds fine.

Eh, i dont think he can afford $500 unless you're paying for him :D

OK, since we're on the topic, I need some help as well. I want to get a better video card here soon. Problem is that I don't have an AGP slot. :( I'm an ATI fan and want another one of their cards. So, I was looking around http://www.pricewatch.com and found this Clicky Does anyone know anything about this card or company? Or does anyone know of a place where I can find some reviews about it?

BTW, you guys think GeForce4 can handle all those games and new, upcoming ones?

Dont get a Geforce 4 MX, it aint that good was my old card and it sucks big time. The Geforce 4 Ti should be good enough to handle games like Doom 3, but i would go for the FX if i were you.

So it's nVidia FX 5700, then, right? Or should I go for 5900?

If you wanna save cash, go for the 5700. If you're really one of those one of a kind gamer go for the 5900. A 5700 is already good enough to play games like Doom 3 and DX2.

If you want more infomation about what G card you should get you should search the net first.

Ummm...

Will the 5900/GeForce4 on a Intel 815 Motherboard?

Yeah, it's compatible. If it has an AGP port, odds are it's good. Nvidia also has pretty stable drivers, more stable then Ati for now.

Archived