Home

Brain Storming new weapon type

keshire

This is just a screenshot of a thoery that's being worked on. Its a lot farther down the line, but I at least want to look at some ideas.

2004435213386709168317.jpg

I'm using the rhang bone, lhang bone, rtail and ltail bones.

This would be much easier once I have the bones rotating so that their all in line along one axis. The z axis would follow the line I have drawn. But this just shows the animation is possible.

2004476115238650447658.jpg

I currently have it on a seperate skeleton running its own animations. Those animations are going to match up frame by frame though so it'll mesh seamlessly to the actions of the player.

With it's own skeleton You ccan also go about making new models for it. Like the ball and chain I did real quick. So ignore the texture on it. :)

Also on the code side of things. If I set it up so there are animations that grab. Like hooking a leg and tripping. Can it be implemented? Can hit detection be set up so different moves are done depending on how close the target is? Such as grabbing the person and hilt bashing them if too close. If i set up a choking anim, can the whip be cut? (assuming I segment the model like a player model)

What about Ragdoll? (I know i harp on this, but it'd be so usefull in many situations)

Grappling hook? (Grappling hook AND ragdoll :) )

Can you chain into a grab move?

Whip, whip, wrapped around neck choking...oops, some bystander cut the whip in half...

Disarms?

Can new weapons be created that have saber-like moves?

How many moves should there be?

Should they chain?

Any other suggestions I'm missing?

Originally posted by keshire

What about Ragdoll? (I know i harp on this, but it'd be so usefull in many situations)

Grappling hook? (Grappling hook AND ragdoll :) )

I think these are standard for Hong Kong movies. Just look at how many episodes of Xena they've been used in.

Disarms?

Maybe for larger guns, but cool to take the enemy's Repeater outta his hands without Force Pull.

Can new weapons be created that have saber-like moves?

I can sooo see the whip/ball 'n' chain use the single saber katas. Even the staff's W+C+ATT1 kata. :D

Almost anything is possible, it's just a matter of how much time you're willing to put into it.

Unfortunately, I beleive to get any sort of whip/ball-chain weapon like you're suggesting would take a LOT of work to do. The amount of work is beyond what I'd consider worth doing.

The problem is that you'd have to basically come up with a totally dynamic soft body simulator that "ragdolls" the whip in a way that looks cool and feels right.

That's extremely hard to do and the current rag doll system simply isn't going to be able to handle it. You've seen the ragdoll system, it's slow to react and doesn't do collisions very well.

Nice idea; it'd be cool to see. You've obviously been very busy with the animations stuff; it looks awesome.

Kind of too bad that it's way out there to code. Really, OJP needs a lot more coders (wishes he knew how to do it). Kurgan's idea on those older weapons sounds awesome as well.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Sounds pretty cool, but yeah, if it's that much work I'd rather see some (simpler) weapons return, like the Rail Detonator, Carbonite Gun, Flash Grenades, etc.

I'd second this, though I think the work thus far with the Whip has been damn impressive...and appreciated ;)

Couldn't you use the current saber "bounce" code and just make the bones unable to go past a certain radius of the last bone (making sure the whip doesn't "stretch").

By bounce code, I mean when you throw your saber and it bounces off the ground, right now it bounces a little bit too much, but put a damper on it and it could look good.

Well let's think simpler first.

Just a base setup where we can run any weapon as an animated weapon. Because I don't think the current code supports this (and it should).

The best way to do this would be to have the code run the same enum that the player is running on the weapon.

So if the player was doing BOTH_ATTACK2, the attached weapon would run it's BOTH_ATTACK2.

I can only hope that animators would have enough sense to match up the number of frames though. Unless a check is put in, in case that happens.

Archived