Home

New TFN Games Editorial

maclaine

What's worse is that there is no mention of the xwing series, Dark Forces or JK, Rebel Assault etc.

When LucasArts first came out with the batch of SW titles, they were liked by a few fans, but they weren’t what you call a system seller a game that a person would lay money down for a certain console just so that can play that one game. You couldn’t rank a SW title back then with a Donkey Kong Country or a Doom game. Star Wars games then were mainly made for the simple Star Wars fan. You wouldn’t expect a SW game then to set sales records and sell out the first day of its release. It just wasn’t in the nature of a SW game to do such a thing. Come on, look at all of the PlayStation SW games like Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Power Battle, they are all laughing stocks. Episode I: Racer just didn’t get it down. The only SW title then to actually do something was Rogue Squadron and Shadows of the Empire for the N64. However later on, all of that changed.

thinking that SW gaming began with TPM, Racer, Rogue Squadron & SOTE is, well, unbelievable.

Well, Rebel Assault, was a joke and no one cared for it. I do recall Dark Forces being a really big deal and everyone was looking forward to it. That was the game that caused me to upgrade since it was the first game that I had that wouldn't run on the standard 4 megs of memory that was still common at the time. Tie Fighter and X-Wing were also very big .. This is just a case of people not knowing their history and being too blinded by consoles.

Did you play Rebel Assault when it was released, or later?

Because it's the reason I bought my first CD-Rom (single speed) drive. I'll admit the game has dated extremely poorly, but when it was released the full motion video straight from the movies, plus the sound made it a definite "wow factor" title.

No game looked like that at the time, and due to the prettyness and the fact you could take out AT-ATs for the first time ever (outside of the arcade and the atari 2600) the game was actually a lot better received than people seem to recall.

Originally posted by jp-30

Did you play Rebel Assault when it was released, or later?

Because it's the reason I bought my first CD-Rom (single speed) drive. I'll admit the game has dated extremely poorly, but when it was released the full motion video straight from the movies, plus the sound made it a definite "wow factor" title.

No game looked like that at the time, and due to the prettyness and the fact you could take out AT-ATs for the first time ever (outside of the arcade and the atari 2600) the game was actually a lot better received than people seem to recall.

I played it when it was released. I just didn't like it and I don't recall anyone that I knew of looking forward to it much since we all knew it was to be a shallow game that was created pretty much to showcase the cdrom.

Well actually, Myst was the first big CD-ROM seller, as far as a game that people bought a CD-ROM just to play. In general, mind you.

And Rebel Assault was a pretty big title - I liked it; still even have the mac version. it's not a great game anymore, but it was still a big deal when released.

Archived