Home

JA not so 'dead'

txa1265

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the many things involved is a few years back, at E3 they claimed that they were going to cut down on SW titles. The claimed they were going to make it 50/50 with SW and non SW games. Yeah. That hasnt really happened. They see they can make more money on just OK or ****ty SW games instead of taking the time and making something origional. Like I said, that is just one small aspect, the tip of a huge iceberg.

Gladius? Wrath? SWON? Armed and Dangerous? sure not SW games. But not good either. Should I mention RTX? They cant come up with anything origional and good. Clone Wars. JA. StarFighter. Rogue Squadron? Thoes, at best are marginly OK games. Nothing new or cool. Just have the SW name so people buy it. Take JA, it had the name SW, along with Jedi along with it, so you got the SW freaks thatll buy it, then the Jedi serries fans that will buy it. The Jedi fans are there only because of the previous title which were different and gave something new.

OK so they might announce it so there are 50/50 but in the end that idea gets shot to hell by them cancelling games, and/or announcing MORE STAR WARS!!! YEAH!!!

I'm sorry. I'm done. You can say I'm jsut bitter. WELL I AM!

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

It starts more around Episode I... I don't think we need to be reminded how asstastic some of those games were.

True, there were some really terrible games at that time after a history of truly outstanding titles.

But I would say that in later times things have improved since the likes of Pod Racer. Certain the likes of JO/JA, KOTOR, and so on are more recent titles that are a step in the right direction.

Originally posted by TheBlueFlamingo

One of the many things involved is a few years back, at E3 they claimed that they were going to cut down on SW titles. The claimed they were going to make it 50/50 with SW and non SW games. Yeah. That hasnt really happened. They see they can make more money on just OK or ****ty SW games instead of taking the time and making something origional.

It is arguable whether the games are all ****ty or not, but no doubt they found that their sales go up a lot when they make Star Wars games. In that case, it is obviously what people want, and they cater to that. I don't see how creating games based on what the demands are makes them evil.

Clone Wars. JA. StarFighter. Rogue Squadron? Thoes, at best are marginly OK games. Nothing new or cool. Just have the SW name so people buy it. Take JA, it had the name SW, along with Jedi along with it, so you got the SW freaks thatll buy it, then the Jedi serries fans that will buy it. The Jedi fans are there only because of the previous title which were different and gave something new.

I haven't played all those games, but I liked JA quite a bit. The priority for me isn't that it a game brand new and revolutionary. I just want it to be fun. I found JA fun, as I did JO. I don't care that JA is very similar to JO with some improvements/alterations. I don't feel the need to throw out all the good things from the previous game just to be different. I suspect that many other feel as I do. You may not, and that is fine. I don't know if you are part of the majority though. Who knows?

I don't think it was fair to say that people only bought JA because JO was new and improved. I think they bought it because they liked JO and this provided something in the same vein. If JA was not enough of a change for you, you can certain skip on the title and wait for the next one. In the meantime, I'm happy playing JA. :)

OK so they might announce it so there are 50/50 but in the end that idea gets shot to hell by them cancelling games, and/or announcing MORE STAR WARS!!! YEAH!!!

I imagine that most people are indeed saying, "MORE STAR WARS!!! YEAH!!!" I'm one of them. I don't care about Sam and Max games, but that's just me. If the majority were indeed more keen on a 50/50 mix, then Lucasarts would do it. The fact of the matter is that there is a demand for Star Wars, and Lucasarts is the only one in a position to fill that demand. So they would be foolish not to. And the fact that they got the message that Ep I and Racer and things like that is shown in their decision to contract out to genre leaders for current games. Poor quality is not a good business model.

You can be disappointed that more non-SW games aren't made, but you can't blame them. They don't owe anyone anything. They will make games that make them money. There is nothing evil or devious about doing so. Just the way the world works :)

But you can voice your opinions that there are too many SW games and they are of poor quality by not buying them. If enough people feel the same way, Lucasarts will get the hint and adjust.

The Sam 'n' Max thing is like this (as I see it). If there was no demand for it (and they thought so) they were stupid to get the game ALMOST DONE (at least that was my impression from the screenshots and previews out there) and then cancel it.

My guess it was a case of "obi-wan" syndrome. But they haven't said a word about putting it on a console so either it wasn't as far along as we thought or else they figured it was cheaper to dump the game than to try to promote it on a console system and charge people double (which is what console games are, more expensive = $$$).

It felt like a tease to S&M fans (that sounds bad, sorry) to get the game apparently done then say "sorry dudes."

LA has made some crappy games and some good games. The thing is, I don't think they make bad games with the idea that people WANT bad games, rather that they run into problems like developers quitting, budget problems, distribution problems, poor planning, etc. stuff like that that is unforseen at the time it sounded like a good idea.

Yes, I'd have to say there were some Star Wars games that have been made which wern't so great but like Prime said, they must be what the people want if they are selling. Jedi Academy in my opinion is a pretty good game, it's Jedi Outcast and more. I see no reason why anyone wouldn't want to come over from Jedi Outcast to Jedi Academy, unless they don't like change that is.

Originally posted by Kurgan

The thing is, I don't think they make bad games with the idea that people WANT bad games, rather that they run into problems like developers quitting, budget problems, distribution problems, poor planning, etc. stuff like that that is unforseen at the time it sounded like a good idea.

In other words, Lucasarts is just like every other software developer out there. It happens to us all, believe me...

Originally posted by narfblat

For me, JA was much better than the hailed KOTOR. Maybe that's because my video card barely meets the requirements though.

hahahhaha! In what sense?

The ONLY thing I can see jedi knight besting kotor in, is actual combat action. EVERY single other thing you could possibly imagine in games is done better in KOTOR.

KOTOR is an incredible experience. JA is just decent action.

Archived