Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

I'm not a skin or modder of any kind,but I can get the original authers contacts.Plus even tho I don't know how to mod,I can however draw,i'm pretty good with charactors the eyes and faces recemble an anime look,but i'm not so good with shading or back round.If I could be of some use i'm willing I can even get some pics of charactors if you want.:blast9:

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, we could use a mapper and we can always use more texture artists. I'm hoping to do some mapping work myself (preferrably on The Double Cross or Maw's level) but that's not until we have enough textures to work with or I can work something out with Shamus. In the meantime, if you're really interested in mapping and have some samples to show, (I know. This is, like, the ten millionth time I've said this) email Shamus at df2modtryouts@yahoo.com and include some images of your work, sketches of the maps, textures, etc. and he'll let you know how you fare. That's what I did.

Anyway, back to work on the mod...

I was always thinking that a good way to start the project would be to make a map pack of the Dark Jedi levels. The Maw and Jerec levels might need some serious coding work, but the rest should be pretty easy to accomplish (especially the saris/yun level since they've already made the map). Of all the things I'd like to do with DF2 in the JA engine, it is play the Dark Jedi levels with the JA combat/force system. Since those levels would be the easiest to do without too much work it might be interesting to make a map pack of just those levels go gain momentum/enthusiasm for the mod.

I can completely understand why the team wouldn't want to do that. It's just an idea, take it for what you will. :)

Personally, I think that the DF2 mod crashed earlier and its too late to restart it.

Well, when you think about the amount of time that has already been spent on the Dark Forces mod compared to how much time we've spent (about six months, maybe, as opposed to three years) it does seem kind of grim. But I assure you we'll do our best and try our hardest to see this mod through. Just think positive. :D

I was always thinking that a good way to start the project would be to make a map pack of the Dark Jedi levels.

That is a good idea and good way to get a decent chunk of mapping work done in no time (well, at least compared to the other, more complex levels). I'll pass this idea onto Shamus. Thanks! :)

Oh, by the way Benevolence, your soundtrack for the DF Mod is awesome. The demo is great and think you guys have done an excellent job. Keep up the good work!!!

Hi. I may be able to do some textures, and I have this cool CD Radio Play of Jedi Knight that you guys could use if you want. It's really well acted out, and all the actors in it sound like the ones in the cutscenes. There's also additional dialogue that clears up some things like why Yun defends Kyle against Sariss and actually includes Luke in the story at one point. Maybe you guys could use this for new in-game cutscenes or even during gameplay, like Maw's taunts and stuff?

Also, just wondering, are there any updates lately? And by any chance, has anyone made any new screenshots of any of the converted levels with the new textures in them?

Oh yeah, I was also wondering about what skins/models you need (including main characters, npcs and enemies) and which ones you already have covered (including the one in the DF Mod).

Thanks.:D

EDIT: I also have made a site/project banner for the DF2 Mod, if you guys want to use it for your website or whatever. :

jkmodbanner9zh.jpg

Great banner, dude! :D I'll let Shamus know about the work you've done. In the meantime, you should contact him at df2modtryouts@yahoo.com and let him know you're interested in joining the team and how you'd like to contribute.

Oh yeah, I have taken a few screens (just for the heck of it :D) but there isn't really a lot to look at right now. Don't worry, though. There will be in good time.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

In my dreams, yes. In reality, no. As of right now we're pretty far from releasing any materials publicly (aside from the textures that have been posted on Shamus' website). We haven't even begun mapping but hopefully, we will by next month. I wouldn't expect anything for quite a while, at least not before the end of the year.

Guy-Gone_Weird: Have you made any attempts at recreating textures for the mod? There are plenty of untouched textures on Shamus' website that you're welcome to try recreating. That's probably the best way for us to see what your abilities are and whether or not we want you on the team.

Take care, all.

Didn't Shamus make a nifty little tool that transfered all Jedi Knight maps and textures, as well as 3do's to JA? But I saw that you'd have to really change the map a lot because there are tons of errors.

How much mapping of the first level have you gotten done so far?

Sorry for not getting back to y'all sooner. I've been kind of busy mapping over the last few days.

To answer your question, yes Shamus did create a tool that converts all of those things to their JA equivalents and I'm using the converted Nar Shadda level as my frame of reference for the new version I'm making, though there's likely going to be some debate over whether it's the official version or not. :( Anyhow, three days' worth of mapping has yielded... Smiley's :D !!! That's the bar, by the way. I've also been working on menus and there's some nice progress in that department.

The menus are located in the assets1 .pk3 in the "menu" and "gfx" folders. As for what the bar itself looks like, only the section with the booths is 100%. I'm still tinkering with the main section of the bar. Basically, though, it's the same as the original, just the booths are wider, there's a locked door at the back (kinda of like an auxilliary exit) and teal-colored lighting which gives it a murky quality. I'll see about getting some screenshots posted to Shamus' website once I can get in contact with him.

Later.

i just recently found out about this thread and really wanna offer any help i can. i could model any vehicles you need and some of the player models and i know someone who is a very good skinnner that has done some for me. i can easily make the moldy crow if needed, and for boc i was thinkin ill import the twi-lek female model into max and change it around to be a guy so i wont have to do it from scratch. i can do some of the other characters like gorc and pic, as well as maw. and to make maw appear that he is floating just add the hover thing on him and keep his legs but make them off surfaces so that he works right but has no legs. for the maps you could remake them or just retexture them so they look better. get back to me as soon as possible cause i really wanna see one of the maps you have!

We'd definitely be interested in having you help out if you've got the skills. We just need some samples, which could be as simple as some screens. With the end of the school year approaching a lot of us are busy with work and other obligations (not me, fortunately :D ) so I don't know how easily you can get in contact with Shamus but you should try emailing him at df2modtryouts@yahoo.com. In the meantime, PM me if you've got something you'd like us to see. I can try forwarding it to Shamus and I'd (personally) love to see what you're capable of. By the way, if anyone else who's applied or is thinking of applying wants to PM me anything, feel free. I'm trying to make sure things continue running smoothly while we all deal with the real world.

Anyway, we'll probably use the Moldy Crow model that was included in the DF Mod, since we have their permission. I also have Maw and Jerec player models that were created by the original DF2 Mod team and they're both definitely worthy of use in our mod. The rest of the Dark Jedi have yet to be attempted (as far as I know) so go ahead and do whatever you have to, to impress us. The more initiative you show the more likely you are to get on the team (I can testify to that) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just send an email to df2modtryouts@yahoo.com with some samples of your best work, info one what you can do and what you'd like to do, and Shamus will get back to you as soon as possible to let you know how you fare. And just so you all know, things are a little slow right now so you might not get a response immediately. The best advice I can give to anyone looking to join the team is to keep sending in samples for inclusion in the mod. The more ambitious you are the more likely you'll get on the team sooner.

Best of luck!!!

EDIT - Kessno11: I just checked my private messages and we can definitely use another mapper (we've only two right now). How long have you been mapping, by the way?

Archived