Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.

Maybe you guys should set up a domain name and create your own forums. Not that Dark Forces Mod's forums aren't good, it's nice of them to host it, but I think if the mod is to grow, it needs its own forums. If you want, I could set up a site and see if it you like it. :D

Also, I have some friends who are excellent JA skinners. Perhaps they could give some of the needed characters a try, like Yun and Sarris.

I've been on vacation for the last week so I haven't been doing any work on the Mod. I would love to have our own forums but until we have something substantial such as, say, a demo I don't think we'd get enough traffic to qualify for our own page. Never-the-less, it's something to look forward to and try to sort out. Speaking of which, I'm going to start expanding this thing pretty soon. I think we need to attract attention so we can get more people involved because right now those of us who are working are pretty much under the radar. So, Guy_Gone_Weird, if you have friends who are willing to contribute skins to the project (or anything else, for that matter) tell them to please go right ahead. I can pm you any pertinent information you or they might need. :)

Dang forum problems wiped out my posts. :mad:

Yeah, right now we're working on a better Yun and Sariss, and I may try to get Hapslash to do the faces if he can. I'm not sure how to do gorc without modeling (which I can't do), though I think Pic could be made from a modified yoda. Boc is beyond my ability right now, and I think that the JK2 models of Jerec and Maw are exceptional. As for a site and forums, I'd still like to help set up something, so at least we could have downloadable skins or something, and to draw more attention to the project.

Cool. I'm almost done with mapping Yun's level so a new Yun skin would be right on time! As far as a website is concerned, go for it. We're currently using Shamus' website and server to store all our materials but it's in an out-of-the-way location and doesn't really attract much attention. I've always figured we needed a website someplace that JA or JK fans frequently visit (such as JediKnight.net) so people would notice us. In the meantime, Shamus' will do, especially since it will make a great backup of all our materials in case the unfathomable happens, but if you'd like to try to cook something up, by all means do so. :)

As of this post, Level 7, Yun: the Dark Youth, is officially finished! That means the mod has its first 100% complete level. I may release this as a stand-alone single player match, as is, a fight between the player and one of dem reborn/cultists or later on as a multiplayer duel map if I can figure out how to set one up. I'll post a screenie or two as soon as I can find some place where I can host them. :cool:

Awesome! Maybe I can help you out with that. I've just about finished the Yun skin, and I personally think it is a vast improvement over the other one. I based it on a combo of the SP human male skins, and modified it to look as close as I can get it. Here's a pic:

yun3bn.jpg

DarkStar Mojo,if you like I'll email you the final version within a day or so. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

That looks pretty good. The only things I can suggest are a few more shadows and highlights on the fabric parts, just to give them a bit more detail, and maybe a shiny effect for his boots. Right now they seem to blend into his pants a little too much. Otherwise, excellent work. Any hope of a Sariss skin, next. ;)

And yes, you can email it to me when it's finished. I'll PM you with my address, and that way we can add it to the server where we keep our stuff, and the mod as well!

It looks as if things are starting pick up. :D Excellent Kyle skin. The only things I can suggest are, he needs a little more stubble on his face (it's too clean) and the hair and the beard seem to be too different shades of brown. Otherwise, this is fantastic. Does it have bot support, et cetera? Anyhow Ruku, if you'd like to start working on something, we could use new HUD displays. ;)

Well, I've done about as much as I can on Yun. I've given the hair some highlights (hard to see in picture), I've added highlights and shadows to the clothes, made the boots darker than the pants, adjusted his skin color to match the actor's, and made some tweaks to the face. If anyone that eventually joins the mod wants to improve upon him they are welcome to, as I'm still a bit limited in my skinning knowledge. Also I tried to apply a sheen shader to his boots, but as yet I have had no success. Also, the image is darker than the actual skin appears. ;)

yun6iw.jpg

Thank you for your comments on the skins. The Kyle skin was done a long time ago, the most recent one was the Qui-Gon Jinn skin. I *can* start working on a new Hud, but only when I get some free time. At the moment all my free time goes toward "Order 66", a modification I am leading.

I'll see what I can do.

Hmm, I thought this thread was supposed to die. Ah well, there's nothing like stealing thunder from the project it's posted under. ;)

Again, apologies everyone. I've been so busy lately that I haven't had much time to properly shepherd things along, but I promise I will get back to you all once I have a cycle or two to spare. :D Things would move along much faster if we were all doing this full time. Such is life. :cool:

This thread will never die!!!! :D ...Well, at least not until we get our own forums, at any rate. Good to hear from you Shamus. No worries. I'll try to keep things running while you're busy. The important things in life should come first and since, right now I have no life ;) this is the most important thing for me. That being said I'll send you Guy-Gone-Weird's Yun skin as soon as I get some issues sorted out with WinSCP (I had to uninstall it while my mom fixed my computer) and I think he's ready for a spot on the team, but that's entirely your call. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's safe to say we've given up on waiting for him to come back. I wish him all the best and hope he's doing well but, as it stands, we've done too much to shift gears at this point. Then again, Shamus is the one who has to declare this mod "official" (as if any mod is ever really "official") but nobody else is making a Jedi Knight Mod and since we're the only ones...

Yes, that's exactly what we need. Besides, I don't think there's any room for singing in JK. :lol:

Okay, sorry. I couldn't resist a lame joke. We might need vocalists (as in voice-over artists) later on, especially if we want to add those conversations between NPCs like the DF mod is doing. I think that would help add to the game's realism and connect it nicely with the style of the other JK games. Of course, that's not a priority right now but if you're still interested in something like that when we come to it I'm sure arrangements can be made.

Well, as far as I know, they'll be using the existing in-game voices and cutscenes, but I think what is most needed is experienced mappers and lots of people to continue to recreate their textures.

Cool cool. Makes sense to do so. So is DF2MOD planning on just convering .smk files into ROQ? Or are they going to extract the audio from the files and do in game cinematics?

If you do the latter, may I make one request as a fan? In the second cinematic (the one where Kyle first meets 8T-88 in the cantina) can you use a different sound for the Gran's voice? The one in game is sad and pathetic. It would be much better to use the one for the Gran Senator in AOTC (chapter 35 1:30:06 to be precise. Heh...sounds like I'm quoting scripture) The sound for his voice is far better than the trash that Lucasarts used

Just let me know if you guys need any vocalists

Will do. We've actually converted the original .smk files to ROQ already but the old cutscenes may end up being temporary. As it is, we don't have enough moddelers, skiners, and texture artists to make new cinematics but if the situation improves then we may take the same route as DFMod. Any demo release, however, will sport the original cutscenes. Hope that answers your questions.

Archived