Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

Those screenshots look great; I just love the atmosphere it creates. Some areas seem a little sparse, large and flat without details beyond the textures, but I'm not sure how you'd fix that and it probably isn't the sort of thing you'd notice when actually playing the level. Screenshots tend to draw attention to different details than those that really matter for the actual game.

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question, are the levels (maps, whatever they're called) simply being recreated in JA as they were in the original or will they be reinvented as with the DF mod?

Those screenshots look great; I just love the atmosphere it creates. Some areas seem a little sparse, large and flat without details beyond the textures, but I'm not sure how you'd fix that and it probably isn't the sort of thing you'd notice when actually playing the level.

I think that the room for the Yun duel was meant to be like that. I think the idea was just a very functional room, functional meaning floor, walls and roof, nothing more.

are the levels (maps, whatever they're called) simply being recreated in JA as they were in the original or will they be reinvented as with the DF mod?

That depends on the level. The simpler boss levels such as Yun and Gorc and Pic are likely to get some more architectural flare and not much else. Maw will have the same layout as before but will be a lot more detailed (gantries, pipes, etc.) I would expect to have the same layout for the rest of the levels but for them to be more visually appealing. Take the opening of "The Lost Disk" for example. The rather bland boxy city has already been replaced with more detailed buildings with catwalks, doors, neon signs, etc. but the layout is the same.

Now, for some more recent developments, I have sith_master2000's Kyle skin and I have spent all day working on it. Progress is good, but it's going to take some more effort to make it look like Jason Court.

I have a question, are the levels (maps, whatever they're called) simply being recreated in JA as they were in the original or will they be reinvented as with the DF mod?
I think you guys ought to do a lot like the original, but get creative from time to time. Part of the idea behind modding is so that you aren't playing the same old game. Heck, I own JK. I could just put it in and play it, and forget that I'm playing with crappy graphics. You have a better game engine. You should try to make the player sweat!

I think the idea was just a very functional room, functional meaning floor, walls and roof, nothing more.
I agree. In real life, I never run into many rooms that don't serve needed functions. My bathroom has all that is needed to make it a bathroom, and nothing more. If I wanted to play Xbox, I would not head into my bathroom to do it. What's my point? The function of THIS particular (the Yun duel room) was that it is where 8T-88 was showing the map to the dark Jedi. It's just an office. Gadgets and gizmos coupled together with wild jumping traps and puzzle would make no sense in real life. All this room needs is a door, a vent, some tables, and the repulsor platform that goes right up to the top of the skyscraper in Baron's Head.

Note in the cinematic just BEFORE the duel, Kyle walks in and sees the map tiles arranged and set up. It was Yun who destoyed it with his lightsaber. We should really be seeing map fragments all over the place in the lower part of this map.

um not sure if you know but thiers a program meant for making skins for games you could find it (damned if i remeber what it is called) but then take the photo of jason and use it ie screen shot from the first cut scene

ill try to find the program i must have it on one of my 3000 discs

ps whats the command for the dad duel smiley

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I'm back, and I'll be trying to help out where I can, even though I can't go as gung ho as I did when I first started (sneers at college). In the next couple of days I'm going to go ahead and start on a new, improved Sariss. Also, I've also put in a request for help in creating faces for the skins from probably the best skinner in JA - Hapslash. Even if he can't help out, the word on this Mod is out to all those that visit Hapslash's. :)

Nice to have you back, dude. I have the same problem with college. Five art assignments in one week, all for the same class! Oy!

Anyway, good luck on Sariss. It'd be great if you can get Hapslash to help out. If not, I can probably do so since I've been helping sith_master2000 skin the face and collar of our new Kyle skin.

Speaking of which, Kyle is almost finished (I have to tweak the collar). He should be ready this weekend. I'll let sith_master take and post the screens, since I don't know jack about doing character sheets. Lol.

This may have been answered before (I checked the FAQ in the DF2 mod site but didn't find the answer I seeked) but are you guys going to be using the Jerec model made by Reaper's team for the old Jedi Knight mod? It was the only model of Jerec created and it seems a bit pointless if we get someone to completely remake him when we have access to another one. I still have the Jerec model floating around somewhere on my old PC's hardrive so I could look into getting permission for you guys if you want. But first of all I need to know if you already have the model.

EDIT: Actually I don't think it was created by Reaper's team. Even so, if you want, I can still get permission for you guys. And here's a screenshot just incase I wasn't specific enough: jerec0sa.jpg Sorry about the poorness of it. For some reason I couldn't get Mod View to work with it so I had to use Milk Shape.

Hmm. Yes, I didn't answer that question in the FAQ and it, oddly enough, was even asked of me before. Damn. :lol:

I have that Jerec model and unless my memory is completely screwy, it was released by Repear's team. The plan, I believe, was to release all of dark Jedi when they were finished but they only got as far as Jerec and Maw before the mod folded. Anyway, I have both models and will are going to be using them, since it would be a waste of talent to do otherwise. If you can get permission, that would be great.

Btw, I sent you the finished Kyle skin. Don't forget to send me some screens so I can forward them to Shamus. :)

OK, I've sent an email to one of the authors for the Jerec and Maw models. Yes I said one, there are two of them, a modeler and a skinner. I sent the email to the modeler. Don't worry though I told him if he needs to talk to the other creator, the Mod team understands. Now all we need to do is play the waiting game. Incase we never get a response, I suggest getting Hap Slash to be our character modeler; of course we might need him anyway because we still need Gorc, Pic and Boc. To my knowledge anyway.

EDIT: OK, he replied to my email and here's what he said:

Hi there,

I would love to see my models used in your mod. The only thing I require is you credit the models to Inbredyokel (skinner) and myself (modeler).

Good luck with the mod,

Madjai

Archived