Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I don't know if this will help at all but there are a lot of talented guys such as texture artists, animators, and modellers looking for work over an artist's forum that I frequent: http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

You could post certain positions needing to be filled and hopefully you'll get a few bites. This is the non-pay section, there is also a paid section but since this is not a being done by LA or paid work, I think a lot of guys would like to get the experience working on something that is high profile and that has a good reputation and would look really good on an artist's resume and portfolio. This could be a possible solution to getting these awesome mods out much sooner.

I've actually used my texture recreations and level designs in my college portfolio back in December. My intervewier seemed really impressed by the fact that I "make video games." Lol. Anyway, thanks for the info. This might be a good way to expand our team. Is there anyone over there who works with JKA?

Bomberman65, no need to apologize. I'm going to take some more screens and email them to Shamus ASAP and, hopefully, they'll be up on the website before you know it. Also, I'm making some more tweeks to the Kyle skin before I send it out The major work is finished but there are some small details that need fixing up. Unfortunately, I won't be home to do much work so it may take longer than expected, just hang tight.

Why not just take a screenshot of your player model in the map, and kill two birds with a single stone?

Now a favor to ask...has anyone on the DF2JK MOD Team completed a new 8T-88 model?, and if so, could we the SOTE MOD Team us it as a base for our Leebo Model?

You can simply just post your answer, or PM myself, or Jedispy with the appropriate info on this request if you would not mind.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see JK in the JA Engine!!!

Mike

i think it would be great for the DF2 team to also try to tackle mysteries of the sith. I dont think of that game as an expansion but more of the third out of five games in the series.
Yeah dude. One thing at a time though. Jedi Knight needs to be finished first before MOTS can even be thought up.

I myself have thought about spearheading a MOTS mod once SOTE mod is completed. At that time, more than likely DFMOD and DF2MOD will be complete/near completion. With all three mods completed, you can bet that there will be a lot of really talented modders with a little more free time. I can see a MOTS mod being a definite reality.

What's the latest on the DF Mod and JK Mod? The DF Mod site hasn't been updated in ages- is the team still actually working on it or has it fallen by the wayside? The first three levels in the demo are mindblowing. I realize that modders pretty much do these things as time permits but I would hate to see this project die.

Yeah, we're not setting up a timetable for this thing because we could never stick to it and that would just make people upset when things inevitably get pushed back. There will be updates in the near future. I just haven't been able to do much work on the MOD, what with school and all. I think things are starting to even out a bit, so I may be able to spare some time. Just hang in there.

You could have found that out on your own by simply reading this thread. You could've found evidence of recent progress even on just this last page. You will save some consternation if you look for answers yourself before asking about them.

As a side note, I do think it is important to maintain an updated webpage, even if it's just a short note every week or two. That shouldn't take more than a few minutes, really, although given my own work habits, I can certainly understand not getting around to it.

Really, there's no point in updating every week just to say, "We're still alive. Don't panic." After a while, the webpage would get cluttered with the same news and I think people would stop visiting. Rather, we'll use this forum as our "weekly update page" to assure everyone that things are still moving along. Thanks for your concerns, though.

Hey guys well i haven't posted for a while cause i've been away but it seems its not going very fast as first planed but i can wait. Cause i mean if u rush it just to get it done for other people then it won't be very good but if u take your time with whatever time u get then it should be great. btw r any screens of the new Kyle up yet?

Since it's taken about a year per map for the DF Mod, perhaps some serious "DF2 Mod" or "MotS Mod" people may want to consider porting over the Multiplayer Aspect first.

That would give you the most return in the shortest period of time. Remapping single player with objectives and stuff takes a heck of a lot of time, the most time even. With Mp you've got a lot of work, like coding force powers, and modeling weapons, but the maps are much smaller and a lot of the work is already done for you.

So that's my advice. Do the MP first and make that your goal. That's something that can be more easily tested by a large number of people who can offer feedback and you may have more fun with it. ;)

Doing JK1's single player in JA would make re-creating Dark Forces seem like a cake-walk, I would think. Would you want to wait 15 years to see it completed? Duke Nukem Forever would be finished first! Heh...

Question:

Would you be able to use DFII weapons and JA weapons if/when DFII is modded to MP?

I mean there are some times when I wish I had my trusty old repeater, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to be able to use the heavy repeater too. I like more options when it comes to weapons, and it certainly makes for a more interesting game, in my opinion, when you have to deal with a larger variety of threats and the tactics that come with them.

Question:

Would you be able to use DFII weapons and JA weapons if/when DFII is modded to MP?

I mean there are some times when I wish I had my trusty old repeater, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to be able to use the heavy repeater too. I like more options when it comes to weapons, and it certainly makes for a more interesting game, in my opinion, when you have to deal with a larger variety of threats and the tactics that come with them.

Well if it's a conversion, you should only be able to use one set of weapons. Putting them both in makes the game unnecessarily complicated, since you now have to balanced 20+ weapons instead of just 10+. So it's probably not a good idea.

Besides, why would you want to have two or three pistols that are just slightly different from each other? (Lots of the weapons are similar in function in fact).

If you want to use the JA weapons, play JA!

I'd pay money for a mod that simply consisted of the railgun. Yes, I know you can't accept payment for mods. It's just that JK's railgun is definitely the best weapon in any game, ever.

And it would be seemingly so simple to do... it's a wonder nobody has attempted it yet! We already have grapple hooks you can shoot into people, and timed/remotely placed explosives that stick to surfaces... combine them and off you go... even the model is very similar looking to the heavy repeater. The firing animation is very similar to the concussion rifle. So port the sounds, modify the grapple code slightly, skin the model, and skin/model the ammo... what else is there to do?

Then again there are other DF/JK series weapons that are even simpler, and we haven't seen those yet either. ;P

Seriously though, if this DF2 mod team wants to get past the skinning stage, they really should set their priorites on something like a MP conversion. The rest can flow from that if they have time. But frankly I think a SP conversion would take far too long for a bunch of fan modders.

Archived