Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they were gonna do a MOTS mod, I think it would be a lot faster to use the source engine. But then again, the whole gameplay design aspect could take just as long as mapping for this game. Still, it's just a thought, as the source engine is fairly easy to work with, plus the graphics are no slouch either. Then again there are a lot of guys out there who mod and map for half life 2 right so it might not be so bad an idea.

I seem to remember reading that LA wanted to make live action cinematics, but due to time constraints and budget, they had to whip the ingame ones together at the last minute (almost literally from what I hear).Perhaps after DF2MOD and SOTE mod are done, we can join forces and roxors people's soxors!!!!!11oneone

Seriously. After SOTE MOD is done (which is scheduled to happen right after my avion-swine hybrid is complete :lol: ) I would like to start another mod. I plan on either a MOTS mod, or a Dark Forces PREQUEL. If I were to do a prequel, I'd base it on Rahn's and Morgan Katarn's wacky zany adventures to Ruuson and the Valley of the Jedi. However, before I start that, I need to find out a few things about the events that occur between the founding of the Emperor's New Order (Revenge of the Sith) and Dark Forces 1. (potential reappearance of Asajj Ventress & Aurra Sing?? Epic duel between Rahn and Jerec?? The possibilities are endless). O.k. enough of my BS. Back to DF2MOD.

What are the major models (character, object, & vehicle) that you guys need?

I'd like to see the DFprequel Mod for DF remade. 3 levels where Kyle defects from the empire - think I've still got them stashed on one of my harddrives.

Now that would be kool seeing Kyle defect from the empire and another level i'd like to see is where Kyle rescues Jan from the emipre. Now that would be a awsome level to play!

EDIT:

Also i know what would help people not ask when is it done is have a progress bar or report for the demo, the second demo and the finshed project if u have time that is to do it.

Depending upon which story you like most would probably determine a Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors Prequel MOD. (if of course it was ever made)

In the novels, Katarn is a an Imperial cadet leading a stormtrooper raid on a rebel base when he meets Jan Ors. He spares her life, but almost dies during the battle. He graduates the Imperial Academy a highly decorated hero, and takes a graduation cruise aboard a luxury starliner while awaiting final destination orders. It is on this cruise, he is informed of his father's death at the hands of the Rebel Alliance (or so he is led to believe). He then enconters again Jan Ors, and this time chases her down throughout the ship, and finds himself surrounded by Rebels. In return for him saving her life on the raid, she shows him the hypocrisy of his own Imperial Service by showing him video surveillence footage of his father's death at the hands of the Galactic Empire, thereby recruiting him into the Rebel Alliance. The story then jumps forward to the first level in the Dark Forces game...the theft of the DEATH STAR plans.

Not to be unmentioned by any means, The A.K. Piggott MOTS MOD "Birth of A Mercenary" tells an equally compelling story of Kyle and Jan's backstory. Kyle and Jan are Imperial Officers as well as best friends working together in the service of Darth Vader. Kyle still has the nightmares of returning home to Sulon, only to find his father's head on a spike displayed for all to see. Jan Ors is a spy for the Rebel Alliance who gets cought by Vader, and shipped off to the Imperial Academy on Caridia for interrigation and termination. Kyle finds out that Jan has been caught and taken prisoner, but ultimately decides his friendship with Jan is more important than his service to the Galactic Empire. He then confronts Lord Vader, blasts his way out of Vader's Star Destroyer, and embarks on an incredible journey to rescue his good friend, becoming a member of the Rebel Alliance in the process.

Both stories would have several different locations, characters, cinematics, etc...and more importantly, both stories include some backstory on General Rom Mohc...the mastermind of the DARK TROOPER Project, as well as reaquaint us with Mon Mothma and Emperor Palpatine..the leaders of both factions struggling to bring us their own ideas of peace and order to the galaxy.......

All you would need is 10 mappers, 10 texture artists, 10 voice actors, 5 coders, 5 modellers, 5 skinners, and 5 extremely talented cinematic cutscene artists, all of whom could give you 20 hours a week of hardcore volunteer service, and the project could be done in no time. This staff of 50 would be the largest MOD Staff ever assemebled, and it would absoultely rule when finshed. Can anyone here say major freakin' pipe dream?

:guiness::smoke2::beam2:

So....who is left out there that is not already involved with either DF, DF2JK, SOTE, or OJP who feels like tackling this one? HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!

Wow great points and i have read the Solider for the Empire novel and it was good. I'm trying to get the other ones but a mod like that would rule it would be like a 3 or more level expansion for Dark Forces. Now that i'd download in a second.

I hope someone can do that later on. Maybe 2 teams can work together on it in the future. Who knows!?

I've got big ideas for what I'd like to see in a MOTS MOD. Unfortunately, I don't know a single thing about MODing.:(

Most people don't know a single thing about something until they learn about it. The way to learn about modding is to do it yourself, probably with help from tutorials, other people, and whatever else you can find online. Everybody's got to start from somewhere; no one was born knowing how to mod. Of course, it takes extra time and effort to do something when you haven't done it before.

I like to pop my head in every once in a while. DF2MOD team, you guys really ought to listen to Kurgan and Razorace. They totally know what they're saying. MP port over is totally the way to go. You can do far more customization in the MP code (just because the SDK is availalble). It will be far easier to create new force powers (such as Destruction, burning sight, force blindness, & force throw) and reconfiguring old ones (force pull where it targets specific items vs. pulling everything, force persuasion vs. mind trick, force sight that illuminates not only items and lifeforms, but also improves sight in darkness, etc...)

It will also allow you to customize the weapons better. While I like theseeker ability of the rocket launcher in JA, I'm more of a fan of the rail gun's stick and boom function. MP code is just so much better for that sort of thing.

Plus thanks to OJP, we have the ability to do things that were previously thought impossible (such as smart bots, MAN I love that!!!)

For SOTE MOD we're totally porting over to MP. It's just the best way to do things. Even if Raven were to release the SP sdk, I think I'd probably still do things in MP just because we've already started with it, and that ground has already been pioneered for us.

So when you say Multiplayer, does that mean you can still have single-player-eque missions, or would you just be recreating JK multiplayer for JA?

On a side note, I know a small mod that would be great. "Ewok Adventures: Battle For Endor". Imagine you control old grumpy Noa with his walking stick vs Terak and his dull sword. Or control the Ewoks who have stolen the Marauders' blasters. Or mow them down in a gunner chair. Endless hours of fun......................... j/k ;)

So when you say Multiplayer, does that mean you can still have single-player-eque missions, or would you just be recreating JK multiplayer for JA?

It could mean using to MP portion of JA to create an SP mod, just as the DFMOD team is doing, or it could mean recreating the MP part of JK. The people posting weren't very careful about that distinction, and thus confusingly replied to the suggestion to do the mod as the multiplayer portion of JK as if it were a suggestion to port the single-player to MP code. Of course, both are valid suggestions, but as someone who never really played JK's multiplayer, I don't really have any fond memories of it and thus would prefer the mod to be at least the single player part. If the porting it to MP (like DFMOD) would make that easier, I see no reason not to, and if you're going to do so, it'd probably be easier to start doing it that way from the start instead of switching later.

I'm talking re-creating (loosely, as I'd keep some things like the saber combat, though a return of the double swing would be neat to replace, say, the medium kata!) the MP combat in the MP mode.

That would be the easiest to do. So recreate the 10+ JK1 weapons and skins with sounds and the items. If you wanted, then move on to doing the basic JK1 maps.

We'd all love to have a 100% TC of the entire game in the new engine, but let's be realistic... the MP mode would be much easier to start with and could serve as a base for the other stuff.

Recall that in JK1/MotS, the Single Player and Multiplayer were much closer, in that the way the player moved, the way the weapons and force powers worked, etc, were the same in both SP & MP... not completely different like they were in JK2/JA. So once you've got the MP JK1 combat, you've also got the SP combat done too. ;)

One of the more difficult things that I'd like to see done was the overlay map. I don't mean re-creating the entire holographic datapad one, just the green overlay that indicated your position as you ran around. I once suggested perhaps a modification of the Siege "Radar" as a way to re-create this, but I don't know if anyone looked into it...

Arg! I'm still really confused. From what I understood, the goal of this mod is to recreate the single player storyline and missions and bring them into JA graphics quality. If you can use MP to create a Single Player Mode (which I didn't know the DFMod was using) then by all means, if its easier do it. But I'm just confirming that having an actual JK MP, as in playing online with buddies, is not the main goal of the mod. If DFMod is using MP code for their SP, then they did a great job of it.

*shrug* I'm not sure if MP conversion is really the major burden for most mods. It really seems to be a lack of mappers IMO.

Indeed. Right now, it's just me. I also don't know much about MP coding but I plan to learn this winter, when I have time off from school. You can expect a lot of work to get done then. As for porting from the start, I haven't done ANYTHING as far as objectives and such are concerned so it shouldn't be a problem to start mapping in the multiplayer engine. What we need, though, is experience, as in experienced team members. Since I've been doing the bulk of the non-texture gruntwork, I'll probably end up having to learn coding/scripting anyway. I also need to catch up on my moddeling skills, since I'm probably a bit rusty after two years.

As for the Kyle skin, Sith_master2000 officially has my permission to post the images so long as everyone knows they do not reflect the final product. I'm still tweaking it but it should be finished this weekend (I promise).

Hey, Guy-Gone_Weird, are you working on the Sariss skin? If so, how's it coming?

As for the Kyle skin, Sith_master2000 officially has my permission to post the images so long as everyone knows they do not reflect the final product. I'm still tweaking it but it should be finished this weekend (I promise).

Well, I guess everyone will want to see these: df2kylehead1vw.jpg

df2kylebody7sx.jpg

All that has been modified since my pictures is all Mojo's work btw. I.e the face, the head and the hands.

I didn't like the way the collar was turning out, so I switched back to the original. Otherwise, I've just finished the Kyle skin and uploaded the latest version to our team server. In the future, I'm going to attempt modeling a new belt for him, to make it more accurate to the cutscenes. Later all.

Very nice, very nice so the finished skin will look close to this one. Just a few minor tweaks right??

What tweaks are u doing to it? Are u going to do the belt for the first demo??

Also i was wondering how are u going to do Gorc and his lightsaber??

But other that that i love it.

Honestly, I've barely started... I just started a new class in college, and it is 3 hrs long, twice a week. adding that to my other classes I'm just now starting to get adjusted. However, I now have mondays off, so I get to have a permanent 3-day weekend. I'll go ahead and work on Sariss, and I'll try to get it as good as possible (except face - someone else will need to do that).

Hey sith_master, in Modview, if you select those white portions of your model in the left drop down section (may take some searching for the right parts) you can make them invisible for your pic.

Also, I have those 3 Audio Plays based on the Dark Forces novels. If the team wants to use any of the audio, maybe for extended cutscenes or in-game talking, I can provide it.

Finally, here's a crazy idea. I have no idea if we'd want to do this, but, what if the DF2Mod, and SOTEMod shared people and resources - that way we get more mappers, and they get whatever help they need. When I made my Star Wars fanfilm, ours and another (that was in another state) had a joint website, and we helped each other get each of ours done, much faster and better than alone. I've kinda tinkered around in some SOTE skins, and I think that if nothing else, what would be really awesome is a joint website and forums or something. Just throwin out ideas...

I think that (the whole SOTE and DF2MOD) idea is a very good one. I know I'm up to it. It really depends on their situation and whether or not they can spare resources to help us out. I know I'd be willing, however, to provide them with any help they might need - particularly in the art and graphics department, since that's my specialty. :cool:

Anyway, take your time on the Sariss skin. When you get to the face just let me know and I'll take a crack at it. After all, that's what I did with Kyle *points to screens sith_master posted*.

Speaking of which, the only real "tweaks", aside from the collar, which I've restored to its original JA look, is a re-aligned goatee and some minor changes to the hair, particularly on the forehead.

My point was that doing a multiplayer module (a la, Deathmatch style for those who misunderstood) would be far easier and a good stepping stone for either mod (DFMod or DF2 Mod).

Re-creating the SP component of Dark Forces or Jedi Knight in Jedi Academy will be a lot more work.

And re-creating SP in the MP engine of JA would be better than creating it in the SP engine of JA, since we have the MP SDK, but not the SP SDK.

Make sense now? ;)

...re-creating SP in the MP engine of JA would be better than creating it in the SP engine of JA, since we have the MP SDK, but not the SP SDK
THAT's what I'm talking about. Using MP engine to create SP games.

So DF2MOD, what would you say is your greatest want/need right now in your mod?

Archived