Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No pk3? When you downloaded the file, did you actually get a pk3 or just the individual files? If you just got the files that's... strange... to say the least. What I would do is try downloading the file from our website again. If you get an actual pk3 (which will be named 'The Dark Palace.pk3') here is how you should set it up: create a new folder called 'The Dark Palace' under your Gamedata subdirectory. Install the pk3 to this folder. When you start a JA mp game, go to setup -> mods -> The Dark Palace. That's it. It should work fine.

Instructions to try, followed by an explanation:

Try right clicking the download link, pick "Save As..." and save the file directly to the directory DSM specified (you might have to create the directory). Then follow the remaining instructions, and it should work.

Long-winded explanation: If I am not mistaken, pk3's are just zip files with the file extension switched, so if your computer's set up to recognize them as zip files, they'll open like them. And if you're running WinXP, it's probably hiding the file extensions (which only causes problems, in my experience), and handling of zip files is built in so they look like they're just folders. The end result is that there seems to be a (compressed) folder instead of a pk3.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah well i tried doing just what it said but i've got no pk3 all i've got it texures and models and things like that but no file that works with JA. Help please???

Yeah, I had the same problem.

Anyway, I can't belive someone's finnaly working on a Dark Forces 2 mod!! I was starting to think I was the only one who remembers that game!

I have a few questions that weren't in the FAQ. Mainly, will you be modifying the Lighsaber combat to match DF2 as well? Sure, the old lightsaber combat was simple, but I think people forget how well it worked. Blocking was easyer too compaired to the JA system.

I'm afraid I don't know much about mod-ing, but couldn't you use JA animation that's simmilar to DF2 moves, then re-bind the moves to the controls differently?

Also, are you planing to do any of the multiplayer levels?

I think imputing JK-style combat would only hold the game back. Part of the whole point of this MOD is to experiece things in JK that you could not do before.

Still, I understand your way of thinking. For that, I think maybe we should have the option to choose which saber style we want. In the options menu, there could be an option that says, "saber style," which you could set to either "Jedi Knight" or "Jedi Academy." That way we get to experience both worlds and everyone is happy.

I tried adding the .pk3 extention, and removed the readme files, but the game doesn't even recognize the "Dark Palace" folder as a potental Mod.

You don't need to add the extension; it's already there, but Windows is probably hiding it. Maybe I'll actually try it now that I'm back where my JA CDs are and get back to you if I find anything that could help.

I attempted downloading the file myself just to make sure this wasn't a problem on our end but it worked fine. Most likely, Slicer's theory is correct. If his solution doesn't work, however, (I'd try it first before doing anything... er... rash ;) ) but you are still getting the individual files, you can always download pakscape and package the files yourself. I know this might prove a bit inconvenient but if it works... :) In the meantime, if Windows is set up to recognize .pk3 as .zip files simply changing the file extension won't do anything because Windows will only read the file as a misnamed .zip, NOT a .pk3. Offhand, I'd say open My Computer -> go to Tools -> Folder Options

-> File Types -> select NEW and then add pk3 to the list. Once you've done this, Windows SHOULD recognize pk3 files.

I believe we've all taken an oath of silence. :) I can't say much either.

Bomberman, have you tried downloading packscape? (I believe you can get it somewhere on jk3files.com or else just do a google search.) If you've gotten the individual files when you download, you should be able to pack them yourself (the pk3 should be called TheDarkPalace.pk3) and then put it into the mod folder. You can also deposit the pk3 into your GameData folder if you don't want to launch it as a mod. Otherwise, I'm not sure why the map isn't working for you. Anybody have any other ideas?

I believe we've all taken an oath of silence. :) I can't say much either.

Oooh, if you've taken an oath of silence, there must be something to be silent about. Exciting! I can't wait.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Other than reinstalling either the game or Windows? Not at the moment. Although I would like to request that everyone make sure Windows isn't hiding their file extensions: Double click My Computer, and when the window comes up go to the Tools menu up top and click "Folder Options..." Click the "View" tab, find the "Hide extensions for known file types" option under Advanced Settings, and make sure it's not checked. This will allow you to see the entire filename for everything, thereby avoiding possible confusion or trickiness.

Archived