Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

That was hours of fun for me! Maybe that's why I'm so twisted.

In response to the morality scale issue... wow... I'm glad I'm not the one who's going to be coding/scripting this thing since I have no experience with this kind of stuff. My end is more the artistic stuff: mapping, skinning, textures, etc. We would like to do the morality scale, of course, but I think everyone should know it IS NOT A DONE DEAL and is PROBABLY NOT FEASIBLE given our respective time frames and man power at this point. The more likely route for us, at least initially, is to base it on the JA system, perhaps, drop the player back into the game to let him/her decide if they want to kill Jan or not. Your decision would, thereafter, not only affect the individual levels themselves but also your choice of force powers (i.e. if you choose the light side you can't use dark side powers and vice versa). The complexity of creating a morality scale seems too difficult to attempt at the moment, especially when we have a huge workload of maps, models, and textures that really need to get our attention at the moment. Like you guys have said, it's part of our "want to do" list and on the back burner.

That being said, I know I promised some screenshots real soon. Well, the gallery for Nar Shadda is finished (about a dozen images or so) and it'll be up as soon as Shamus gets them and has the time to add them to the website. So, not long now.

Yeah, it was really fun when I found out that you can kill Weegee. Does anyone know if it's possible to kill Max? I must've wasted at least six barols of Concussion Rifle on him. A few times, he just kind of...disappeared after taking a beating for a long, long time. I don't know if I actually "killed" him, or if I just knocked him into the wall and he therefore could not come back out again or what.

Yes, I'd really really really like to have a morality scale if it is at all possible. If not, then I suppose that an interractive Jan-killing would be a good substitute.

Also, for all intensive purposes, make sure that whoever designs any text areas, like in the Force power screen, knows their Star Wars terminology well. "Force" is always capitalized, whereas "light side" and "dark side" are never capitalized. (I know that they were capitalized in the original game, but that was before the Prequels and before Lucas Film made their terminology deffinitive.)

The morality scale shouldn't be that difficult to code, since the engine gives you details of who gets killed by whom. But like Mojo said, it's currently on our "like to do" list ATM. That could change, depending on how much we get accomplished in the coming months. ;)

Two things for you guys. First I will be graduating in June. After that point I will have lots of free time. While that is a way off, I'd like to help you guys with code if you need me. I don't want to commit myself to anything this far in advance, but you look like you could use some help (besides, we already agreed to help each other's projects). I would of course recognize that Shamus is da boss man, but it would be a good deviation from coding for my own mod. FYI, I have lots of experience in C++, which follows a very similar format to ICARUS/BehavEd.

Second, have you guys thought about posting your mod on MODDB.com?

It is perhaps the last stronghold of modding interest for Jedi Academy. I posted my mod on there, and we suddenly got tons of new interest in our project. We picked up a few new modellers since posting there. You should check it out.

Two things for you guys. First I will be graduating in June. After that point I will have lots of free time. While that is a way off, I'd like to help you guys with code if you need me. I don't want to commit myself to anything this far in advance, but you look like you could use some help (besides, we already agreed to help each other's projects). I would of course recognize that Shamus is da boss man, but it would be a good deviation from coding for my own mod. FYI, I have lots of experience in C++, which follows a very similar format to ICARUS/BehavEd.

Second, have you guys thought about posting your mod on MODDB.com?

It is perhaps the last stronghold of modding interest for Jedi Academy. I posted my mod on there, and we suddenly got tons of new interest in our project. We picked up a few new modellers since posting there. You should check it out.

Are there any other total conversion mods like this out there? I'd be interested in an original trilogy mod for JA.

I have a tiny suggestion for creativity. Here is just an example: You know that one area in "The Hunt for the Lost Disk" where, once you retrieve 8T88's arm, you come to a four-way intersection where a gran tosses thermal detonators at you from an unreachable platform on the ceiling? You know how cheaters who fly or Force jump up there are treated to an unobtainable backpack strictly for their viewing pleasure? Well, what if we of the explorative nature where treated to something more awe-inspiring as a reward fro our curiosity, like a Prequel tie-in? What if an old salvaged Clone Trooper helmet was sitting there among a pile of junk? Or the remains of a Separatist Battle Droid? Or something having to do with the ancient Jedi or Sith? Or combinations of these? See, little Easter eggs like this here and there would give us something new, along with a newfound reason to go exploring little nooks and crannies.

And should you ever cover MOTS, in Karobani's museum, perhaps in addition to 8T88's head, you could have Clone Trooper helmets, Darth Reven's mask, Darth Nihilis' mask, and various other tie-ins on display? But I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here. After all, it'll probably take a few years just to finish JK.

How ever you guys finish it and I think I speak for everyone here, that it'll be great.

Keep up the awsome work.

Anyway I can help I'll be glad to.

Hey I have a question will you have Kyle's voice in the game like the original game had??? For example "Not another thing for me to fall from" and "Is this a drill or somthing"

"I have no idea why did someone tell you that"

"No thats just because we haven't had any drills in a while."

"Stormtroopers!"

Also if you guys complete this, this includes the DFmod, you guys will have done a really big acomlishment for the modding community and for yourselves so please don't give up guys.I know both teams can do it.

I'm reworking the Nar Shaddaa gallery to accomodate some changes in the map and because I wasn't satisfied with the quality of the lighting (too dark). It'll be a bit before it's finished and can go up on the website. Meanwhile, there are a lot of internal developments taking place that I'm not at liberty to divulge. Okay, that was just a joke to the whole "we're under oath" thing Zemmurk started, but we are looking at restructing a bit in the near future.

Oh, and any suggestions for Easter eggs are plenty welcome, especially since I'm looking to add a few myself. There's already an egg in the first Nar Shadda - something of a DFMod homage but it's not easy to find unless you know where to look and requires a bit of exploring not possible in the original level.

Well, that's all for now. Hang tight, fans.

Well, I've already listed a few:

I have a tiny suggestion for creativity. Here is just an example: You know that one area in "The Hunt for the Lost Disk" where, once you retrieve 8T88's arm, you come to a four-way intersection where a gran tosses thermal detonators at you from an unreachable platform on the ceiling? You know how cheaters who fly or Force jump up there are treated to an unobtainable backpack strictly for their viewing pleasure? Well, what if we of the explorative nature where treated to something more awe-inspiring as a reward fro our curiosity, like a Prequel tie-in? What if an old salvaged Clone Trooper helmet was sitting there among a pile of junk? Or the remains of a Separatist Battle Droid? Or something having to do with the ancient Jedi or Sith? Or combinations of these? See, little Easter eggs like this here and there would give us something new, along with a newfound reason to go exploring little nooks and crannies.

And should you ever cover MOTS, in Karobani's museum, perhaps in addition to 8T88's head, you could have Clone Trooper helmets, Darth Reven's mask, Darth Nihilis' mask, and various other tie-ins on display? But I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here. After all, it'll probably take a few years just to finish JK.

Some more:

1. Perhaps a few objects here and there on Ruusan (that is, the level right before Maw all the way till the end of the game) alluding to the Battle of Ruusan between the Jedi Army of Light and the Sith Brotherhood of Darkness, detailed in the Jedi vs. Sith graphic novel.

2. Prequel referrences to heroes of the Old Republic and the Jedi order laying around Morgan Katarn's house. Like, perhaps statuettes, photos or holograms of Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace Windu, etc.

3. Perhaps referrences to newer LucasArts games, Star Wars and non-Star Wars. I'd deffinately love to see some KOTOR and Indiana Jones stuff here and there.

4. in Imperial locations, (I suppose this could only be in Jerec's palace and the cargo ship) maybe you can have a new path off to some distant storeage room where we find crates full of old Dark Trooper parts. Then suddenly--one comes to life! (Ask the DF MOD team if you can use their models, of course.)

5. Something having to do with Jar-Jar Binks--and illustrating everyone's hatred for him. There is a famous cast made of him inside carbonite like Han that they bring out at conventions or something. Perhaps you could have that it there somewhere; or something original, like a defaced statue or picture.

6. How about a Star Trek jab? Come on! You have to! (I actually like Star Trek, but I think it'd be cool to see it made fun of in a Star Wars game.)

One thing to keep in mind: Try not to get too carried away with the Easter eggs, especially the funny ones. We don't want such instances of nerdy humor to detract from the overall feel of the game.

Yeah, it was really fun when I found out that you can kill Weegee. Does anyone know if it's possible to kill Max? I must've wasted at least six barols of Concussion Rifle on him. A few times, he just kind of...disappeared after taking a beating for a long, long time. I don't know if I actually "killed" him, or if I just knocked him into the wall and he therefore could not come back out again or what.

)

as far as killing max in the original jkdf2... you can kill him but it takes an assload of damage.. he doesnt "die" persay either, that wasnt coded. he just becomes inanimate and disappears after a bit.

btw shamus i sent an email requesting to join the team.(im Gaara_Of_The_Sand)

ooook creepy... my reply # is 666...

A little of both. Level 1, for the most part, is a direct recreation, though I've added a new secret area, really fleshed out the cityscape so it feels more alive and complete, and added lots of pipes and meshes (well I've started to add meshes) to update the map to fit the modern advantages of the Q3 engine. I can't really say how drastically different things will be by the time the level is finished because of lot of what I'm working on is determined as I progress but I would expect there to be a few noticable differences. Some of the later levels will likely see an element of reimagining. I figure level 5 (Barons Hed) will be a lot more fleshed out than the original, in keeping with level 2 of DFMOD.

Speaking of DFMOD, anybody read the front page lately? :)

no one seems to be replying to the df2 mod email address. just wanted to ask if i could join the team.

Hey im Gaara_Of_The_Sand, I play JA v.1.00 and am co-head of the HGR clan. I have 3ds max 7 and have made a few vehicles and models in max and was wondering if u needed someone to make static models (i.e. saber hilts and .md3 ‘s)

I used to be a HUGE fan of JKDF2, and dabbled in mapping/modding for It alooong time ago(I started my mapping career with JED ;) shoot me back an email, or add me on MSN (drvindaloo@hotmail.com) ,thx.

Archived